IGNORED

big mak air bag, what to do with it when off the bike?

chrisz

Hi,

I have a Big Mak air bag, and am planning on a long trip (for me over 1 week), and am wandering what to do with the tank bag when off the bike, like when stopped for sight-seeing. Does one carry the tank bag with them (its not quite handy to lug around due to its shape) or is there a way of fixing it to the bike more securely then just with velcro? confused.gif

I just leave mine on the bike....just because you know how easy it is to remove doesn't mean anyone else does. I do make sure that their is nothing in it I can't afford to lose....but I don't think the average person would even have any idea how to remove the bag. Mine does fit in a side case, but they are typically full.

Jerry_75_Guy

Being somewhat paranoid, if the bike is out of sight I take off the GPS and V1 and stow them, and take the Big Mak with me. It's a hassle, and may be unnecessary, but I have a lot more peace of mind when I'm eating, or sightseeing.

If you have cloth bags remove them at night when you check in to hotel/motel and lock up your big mak in the saddle bag. Works with most tank bags. Then use the other saddle bag for you helmet(if possible). Greatly reduces effort at night stops. If you don't have cloth bags now is the time to part with some of your child inheritance.

Always carry it with me/us.

Even if the only thing in it is my cell phone charger (and it's not) if it walks, that still means dead cell phone in three days.

there are some options, but non will stop the dedicated thief

Take the bag and drill a small hole in the bag, down into the planteau, and into the strap underneath.

go to any good hardware store and buy a metal post, the kind with a smooth end, and a small hole in the other end for a cooter pin etc. buy a fender washer of the correct size

push this pin up from the bottom into the tank bag, install the fender washer, and then the cooter pin

then at the same hardware store buy a couple mini locks and lock the two zippers together.

Now the bag is really secure from causual theft.

You can also use a bolt and nylon secure nut, but then if you want to take the bag off it is much harder.

The bag has a shoulder strap - what's so hard about that?

If you're off looking at the sights, you'll generally want your camera, which you might already keep in the tankbag...

G

The bag has a shoulder strap - what's so hard about that?

If you're off looking at the sights, you'll generally want your camera, which you might already keep in the tankbag...

G

That's what I tend to do as well. Keep the stuff I normally want access to anyway and use a shoulder strap to carry the tankbag. Of course it is it onlt the water bottle or whatever then I leave it on the bike. Also part on my nominated accessories with my bikes insurance.

Maybe my bag is an older model as I don't have a shoulder strap. I suppose I could rig-up a strap and attach it to the velcro loop and hang if off my shoulder, nah.

Not sure if I've ever had mine off the bike...not even sure whats in there. I found some beef jerky left over from the last years Iron Butt Rally a few weeks ago.

Maybe nobody messes with it because of the odor? confused.gif

I only pull the bag at the end of the day and into the tent or the motel it goes.

For other stops it stays on the bike. The V-1 is on the map pocket, so I lay my gloves over it so it's not visible.

I hang my helmet on the right foot peg, and off I go.

Now this is not without some hesitation in some neighborhoods, but it's worked through a lot of Canada, the US, and a big chunk of Mexico.

Perhaps the strap has been misplaced - does your bag have a D-ring on the front and back? (The strap comes off while it's on the bike, and any shoulder strap with clips on the ends would work.)

G.

Archived