IGNORED

Handlebar question

2manybikes

My 12 R1200GS has been, and still is a joy to ride. At 6' 6" and a 36" inseam, it's a perfect fit. I seldom go off road spending my time crusing the montains and back roads. About 2 years ago my hands and thumbs started bothering me when I rode it. I added Grip Puppies and that helped considerably. I can get off of it and ride one of my other bikes and I dont have any issues. My problem, other than age is the angle, or lack of on the bars. I understand why they are designed as they are, but I need to change them if I am going to continue riding it. Has anyone changed the bars to something that is turned in and down at the grip mounts? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Haven't changed any bars, but I have changed the way I hold my arms. Ride with my elbows up, almost like when on a dirt bike, instead of letting them hang down. This has worked for me. I relax them as much as possible and do not find it tiring, just takes a while to adapt. I just decided I won't let it stop me from riding :5223: 

I didn’t change the bars but did change their position on the bike with these. Made a big difference for me, but you’re a wee bit taller and our issues are different. I had pain between my shoulder blades, IIRC. Good luck finding a solution! :thumbsup:

image.jpeg

12 hours ago, 2manybikes said:

My 12 R1200GS has been, and still is a joy to ride. At 6' 6" and a 36" inseam, it's a perfect fit. I seldom go off road spending my time crusing the montains and back roads. About 2 years ago my hands and thumbs started bothering me when I rode it. I added Grip Puppies and that helped considerably. I can get off of it and ride one of my other bikes and I dont have any issues. My problem, other than age is the angle, or lack of on the bars. I understand why they are designed as they are, but I need to change them if I am going to continue riding it. Has anyone changed the bars to something that is turned in and down at the grip mounts? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Morning  2manybikes

You can try rotating them back a few degrees, that will lower the outer ends & turn them in & down a little.

Or remove the bars then re-bend the ends to what you want but that takes some ingenuity & creativity to use what you have available to make the bends in a professional & safe manner. 

I haven't ever bent/modified  BMW GS/GS-A bar ends but sure have bent a number of dirt bike bars to suit my needs. 

Thank you all for your replies.

9Mary7: Part of my discomfort is having to hold my arms and elbows up. Also the side of both thumbs ends up against the controls and switch housings.

TWEKS: Longer arms perhaps, but that may change things. Where did you get them, and were they already painted to match?

dirtrider: I never INTENTIONALLY bent any dirt bike bars, but I bent some none the less! ( Jawa CZ175/Yamaha DT360)

Here are the Verholon Risers for the GS. Now as it says in their description, beware of cheap copies. :old: When I was searching, I found “a cheap copy” not because I’m cheap, I just didn’t know any better at the time. :dontknow: Mine are fine but, searching the net, I couldn’t find them again. I don’t think they were that much cheaper than the ones in the link.

326E8046-853E-47A0-95CE-996F7C6AA8E2.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Richard_D, Thanks for your input and the link. I'll ask them about whether the bars will work on the 12. Very interesting design.