IGNORED

Twin spark or not!!??

bigtim

Man I sure feel stupid posting this question but they (internet sales) made me do it.

I'm trying to buy head protectors for my 2003 1150 RT. The dealer says "got twin spark or not"? Heck your the highly skilled BMW parts man can't you tell I ask? He says NO.

So last night I get home lay down next to ole blackie lookin up under the heads. I seen nothing except some dirt and road grime. Pull the small black rubber strip off and only one plug (I knew this before but still checked) and could not find any other leads going anywhere near the head.

Is the second plug for these obvious or are they hidden behind something else like some of the other things?

Thanks (but still feeling kinda dumb) please be gentle on me. dopeslap.gifwink.gif

tom collins

in fact, that parts guy should have known that. i would be careful of anything he tells you.

tom collins

Man I sure feel stupid posting this question but they (internet sales) made me do it.

I'm trying to buy head protectors for my 2003 1150 RT. The dealer says "got twin spark or not"? Heck your the highly skilled BMW parts man can't you tell I ask? He says NO.

What are the last 7 digits of your VIN? 2003 R1150RT VIN ZE90726 and above should be twin-spark. I think they were started on the assembly line 12/2002.

Mick

Here's another way to tell... do the cylinder heads look like this, where the spark plug cover only reaches halfway across?

forumoil.jpg

If so, that's a twin spark. If the cover reaches all the way across, it's a single spark.

in fact, that parts guy should have known that. i would be careful of anything he tells you.

tom collins

Some parts guys are dopey...others are very helpful...looks like you got one of the dopey ones.....call him Dopey Opie!

Here's another way to tell... do the cylinder heads look like this, where the spark plug cover only reaches halfway across?

p><p> If so, that

Thanks everybody I knew I was in good hands when I asked the question.

The VIN ends with ZE892XX so it was made before the change. Also the head has a cover that says 4 valve and the black cover goes completly across the head.

So my guess, thanks to our very well educated friends here, is it's a single spark motor. And I WILL watch the parts man, seems like he should have known this but you never know you know?

Thanks a million thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Global_Rider

Simple!

If it surges, it is a single spark model.

If it runs smooth, it is a "2 Spark" model. grin.gif

Global_Rider
Twin spark '03 here. thumbsup.gif

Cheers

And another "2 Spark" '03 here as well.

I think the US is the only market that labelled the 03 "2 Spark" models as an '04 model.

But the fact is, anything manufactured before August '03, is an '03 model year. I'm not sure which month is the cut-off date, but it is that or July. Maybe BMW NA just went by a different set of rules...theirs.

Archived