IGNORED

Transmission binding

JGP

My 04 R1150RT transmission is what I describe as binding when down shifting after I have been in a mid gear and engine rpm's have been up for a period of time. Downshifting feels like things are "torgued" or "binding". Does anyone have an idea what is going on or is this just normal in the BMW trany???

Thanks for everyone feedback

JGP

I'm sure you'll get a ton of responses for your question. I claim very little knowledge (only been an owner for just over a year) - but I'm pretty sure we're talking about possibly needing a spline lube. I had the same symptoms, and the dealer dealt with it by somehow lubing it after removing the starter. I know most people would remove the rear end, etc. and I assume I'll end up doing that someday when the little lube they put on wears off.

... or your shift linkage adjustment should be checked...

Oh, and check out the other current "spline failure" post...

Good luck, and wait for some expert (not mine) opinions! thumbsup.gif

Gee, no other replies?!?!? May you should have used a title for the post like: " NSA involvement in spline failure discovered ", or " BMW motorcycle dealer admits there may be a problem with splines ". Whatever, hopefully you can gather enough info from other related posts to understand what MAY be going on.

Please don't stop asking questions, some of us (me) are not experts and like to see the basics discussed occasionally.

Archived