IGNORED

2005 R1200GS oil leak

Nate9k9

R1200GS, 2005 model:  Oil has started leaking around the left cylinder base gasket, where the knob part sticks from the cylinder base. This might be a silly question, but has anyone found away to seal this type of leak without pulling the cylinder off to replace the cylinder base gasket? 

23 hours ago, Nate9k9 said:

R1200GS, 2005 model:  Oil has started leaking around the left cylinder base gasket, where the knob part sticks from the cylinder base. This might be a silly question, but has anyone found away to seal this type of leak without pulling the cylinder off to replace the cylinder base gasket? 

Morning Nate

There really isn't a cylinder base "gasket", that cylinder to engine block area is sealed with 3-bond. Once that leaks, it leaks, with not much you can do to stop the leak without removing the cylinder & cleaning off the old 3-bond then starting over with new 3-bond sealer. There are also a couple of "O" rings around the cylinder locater bushings that  could leak or seep, those should also be replaced.  

Are the (3) 6mm cap head bolts that hold that lower area to the engine block tight?  

Are you positive then the cylinder is leaking???? If the L/H cam chain tensioner is leaking that can allow oil to run down along the cylinder & look like it is leaking from a lower area. Same with the crankcase vent on the rear of the L/H cylinder head.

You might clean ALL the signs of oil off the engine block & cylinder area as well as the rear crankcase porch (just under the transmission to crankcase area, then after every ride see if you can identify  exactly where leak is coming from.

On a LOT  2005 1200 engine's the rear seal on the balancer shaft is seeping & that oil can run to places on the L/H side of motorcycle when motorcycle is placed on the side stand. 

Thanks dirtrider, I did as suggested and believe it’s the cam chain tensioner on left side.  That is a relief.  Believe I will have to move throttle body out of the way to tighten the tensioner.

appreciate the response

18 minutes ago, Nate9k9 said:

Thanks dirtrider, I did as suggested and believe it’s the cam chain tensioner on left side.  That is a relief.  Believe I will have to move throttle body out of the way to tighten the tensioner.

appreciate the response

Morning Nate

See if you have better access to that tensioner with the motorcycle on the side stand (weight on wheels) or better yet with a somewhat large heavy rider sitting on the motorcycle with motorcycle on it's wheels. (this pivots the front control arm up slightly)

15 minutes ago, Nate9k9 said:

Looks to be a 15mm, do you know if that is correct?

Morning Nate

Yes, the 1200 bikes use the newer 15mm size.

• 3 months later...

Thanks all - just had this problem on my 2011 RT in France, managed to reach the nut with a 15mm ring spanner (sorry, wrench....) upside down, I just had to remove the plastics and the oil breather tube on the LH cylinder. It seems to have fixed it, although I don't understand why it should have started leaking to start with. If I remove the nut to reseal it, will that be a problem? What does it actually do? Have I tensioned the camshaft chain by tweaking it?

By the way, I used a brake cleaner spray to wash off the oil to trace the leak - very effective - just let it evaporate before testing.