IGNORED

RIP Chuck Yeager

mickeym3

A legend has now climbed to even greater heights.  My wife and I were both medics stationed in Colorado in the early 70’s when he would bring his first wife into the ER late at night with migraines. We were both impressed by his demeanor, and of course his accomplishments  are amazing.

I was an aircraft geek as a kid, and Colonel Yaeger was one of my childhood heroes.

Test pilot helmet design has changed a lot since the late 1940's....

merlin_9362401_06f7b268-fed3-4a28-a5dc-1d030a4ca1c7-threeByTwoMediumAt2X.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale&width=1100

• Like 1

Serious cojones. I got to meet and shake his hand at Oshkosh 1992.  An american legend.  My little community is flying flags at 1/2 staff today.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, mickeym3 said:

A legend has now climbed to even greater heights.  My wife and I were both medics stationed in Colorado in the early 70’s when he would bring his first wife into the ER late at night with migraines. We were both impressed by his demeanor, and of course his accomplishments  are amazing.

That would be Glennis, or "Glamorous Glennis," the namesake painted on the side of his Bell X1.  I loved the way he was portrayed in The Right Stuff by Sam Shepard -- just the right amount of moxie and humility; a likeable confidence that was not arrogant.  What I didn't know until just now was that he started his military service as a private in the Army.  Man, what a ride. Not only a fantastic pilot, but leadership skills to boot.  RIP Chuck.  Part of the Greatest Generation.

Years ago, at a job at NASA Ames in Mountain View, we had a safety "stand down", base wide....The featured speaker was Yeager. He talked of his time spent at Moffett Field prior to WW2 ... A crew chief then, and prior to being accepted to pilot training, he spent a short time at the air base. He talked of the time that he and other servicemen were first issued sidearms. They spent weekends practicing and shooting up empty shacks on the edge of the SF Bay.

He also talked about John Glenn....Well, we all know how he felt about Glenn...

RIP sir.

There are men that take risks and then there's Yeager.  To hop in a bird that has never been flown before and push it to the limits not knowing the full capabilities or vulnerabilities, big ones, real, real big ones.  Without guys like Yeager, many advances in flight would never had been made. 

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

That would be Glennis, or "Glamorous Glennis," the namesake painted on the side of his Bell X1.  I loved the way he was portrayed in The Right Stuff by Sam Shepard -- just the right amount of moxie and humility; a likeable confidence that was not arrogant.  What I didn't know until just now was that he started his military service as a private in the Army.  Man, what a ride. Not only a fantastic pilot, but leadership skills to boot.  RIP Chuck.  Part of the Greatest Generation.

...to see him attending to his Glennis who suffered from severe migraines was a testament to the kind of man he was.  I’m sure he could have asked any of us to do more but he bore that without hint of complaint or resentment. My wife was NCOIC of the night ER shift and assisted them far more than I. Over the past 45 years she has mentioned his name often. Not many have gone higher and faster and still been so grounded.  I wasn’t aware he had started as a Army private but don’t find it surprising. 

• Like 1