IGNORED

1200ST low voltage on sat nav socket

Old Fettler

Hi folks, I am in the UK and bought myself a very tidy 2007 R1200ST with 36,500 miles on the clock last week (delivered from York to Kent). I wanted to fit my Navigator V, so took off all the panels and the tank and found the sat nav socket. However when I tested the Nav V it did not work. On checking with a multimeter, the socket is only pushing out between 6 and 7.5 volts ! I guess it's probably something that needs a dealers computer to instruct the ECU to increase the voltage, so for now have made up a cable and connected it to the spare power plug wiring under the seat. Incidentally I found that a model radio control "Futaba" plug connects onto the relevant two pins in the socket of the sat nav cradle wiring quite nicely, and fixed it in place with a rubber grommet and some self amalgamating insulting tape. It all works but I would probably be happier using the proper socket. Does anyone have any ideas on this ?

15 minutes ago, Old Fettler said:

Hi folks, I am in the UK and bought myself a very tidy 2007 R1200ST with 36,500 miles on the clock last week (delivered from York to Kent). I wanted to fit my Navigator V, so took off all the panels and the tank and found the sat nav socket. However when I tested the Nav V it did not work. On checking with a multimeter, the socket is only pushing out between 6 and 7.5 volts ! I guess it's probably something that needs a dealers computer to instruct the ECU to increase the voltage, so for now have made up a cable and connected it to the spare power plug wiring under the seat. Incidentally I found that a model radio control "Futaba" plug connects onto the relevant two pins in the socket of the sat nav cradle wiring quite nicely, and fixed it in place with a rubber grommet and some self amalgamating insulting tape. It all works but I would probably be happier using the proper socket. Does anyone have any ideas on this ?

Evening  Old Fettler

ECU doesn't control the voltage the ZFE does & even then it doesn't control the voltage it just controls when it switches on & off & at what current load it shuts down due to overload.    In any case the dealer can't increase the voltage so are you sure that you found the correct connector???

Post the wire colors going to the connector that you found & I will try to look up what you found & what you are dealing with. (give us the primary wire color plus the color of any secondary stripe that is on that wire)

Many thanks for the very prompt reply dirtrider. I have a Haynes manual and checked the wiring diagram, the socket on the loom was definitely the sat nav socket with three pins (two at the bottom, one at the top) with red/white, brown and blue/black wires. It was not taped to the loom and had no blanking plug in it so I suspect a previous owner had tried to use it and found the same as me and rigged up a feed elsewhere (the bike has the 71607685635 sat nav base mounted on the tank centre panel). I did check the feed to the socket suspecting a bad earth, but even trying it with a separate wire back to the battery earth there was still only a low voltage at the socket so from your reply that a dealer can't do anything about the voltage, it's probably a fault somewhere in the wiring loom and is not worth the trouble of chasing it down.

Before next summer I need to provide a feed for a dash cam and also want an accessory socket at the front of the bike as well so I think I will install a separate small fuse box connected to the battery but with a trigger feed through a relay (probably piggy backed off the rear light lead), and I will probably connect the sat nav feed to this.

6 hours ago, Old Fettler said:

Many thanks for the very prompt reply dirtrider. I have a Haynes manual and checked the wiring diagram, the socket on the loom was definitely the sat nav socket with three pins (two at the bottom, one at the top) with red/white, brown and blue/black wires. It was not taped to the loom and had no blanking plug in it so I suspect a previous owner had tried to use it and found the same as me and rigged up a feed elsewhere (the bike has the 71607685635 sat nav base mounted on the tank centre panel). I did check the feed to the socket suspecting a bad earth, but even trying it with a separate wire back to the battery earth there was still only a low voltage at the socket so from your reply that a dealer can't do anything about the voltage, it's probably a fault somewhere in the wiring loom and is not worth the trouble of chasing it down.

Before next summer I need to provide a feed for a dash cam and also want an accessory socket at the front of the bike as well so I think I will install a separate small fuse box connected to the battery but with a trigger feed through a relay (probably piggy backed off the rear light lead), and I will probably connect the sat nav feed to this.

Morning  Old Fettler

It sounds like you have the correct connector as the red/white should be 12v with key on, or engine running, the brown is low (ground), & blue/black is VSS (vehicle speed). 

If you have a rear accessory plug you can use that to control a power relay, the tail light 12v B+  should also work as unlike most other 1200 hexhead motorcycles I believe the 1200RS  uses a stand-alone tail light circuit (not pulse modulated like the 1200RT). The only problem with the tail light circuit might be a circuit trip as the tail light is powered by the ZFE so it monitors circuit current & trips trips the electronic fuse if current draw in too high. 

So if you use the tail  light circuit to power a power-relay then make sure the relay has a surge protection resistor or diode across the pull-in coil to prevent back EMF back into your expensive ZFE module. (resistor is usually best as it is not directional, a diode is directionally sensitive so so requires correct polarity on the pull-in coil wire-in)

Look on the relay's outer case as  most relays  that have a built in resistor show that in  the little pin-out schematic on the relay's case. 

Good evening dirtrider, many thanks indeed for the advice on the relays, I will make sure I incorporate a resistor or diode when I get round to fitting the extra fusebox. Regards Old Fettler.