IGNORED

Cyclops LED Bulbs

profbodryak

So I finally pulled the trigger to have that installed. While I asked the dealer to only swap out the low beam, a whole set was ordered and installed instead. They gave me a bit of a discount so no problem there. I drive back to DC and as I am pulling off 395, entering a turn, I turn on my high beams and there it is - the annoying warning light. I stop by H Mart, park the bike and everything is working. Low beam on, high beams off, no warning light. I turn on high beams - all three are on but with a warning light. I was initially told by the dealer when the Cyclops was ordered that a wrong version was delivered and it was pivotal to a 2015 model as it was a split model year. Anyone else experienced this? Did they install the wrong version? They are aware of the issue but I have a month to go until my 18k service when they will be looking into that so just wanted to get your opinion.

As for the quality of the set - it is a beautiful color temperature and better than stock H7's but could be brighter. I did notice that light intensity and light distribution illuminates the road signs very well. High beams are great but can't drive with them all the time. But oh wait, I wasn't planning to have them changed out to begin with...

I installed mine yesterday and put 40 miles on with no issue.   Installation was a bit of a PITA. The change happened in 2013 and another change occurred in 2019.  Call Cyclops.  Explain the situation.  They will probably be able to figure out which system was installed on your bike. And guide you in the next steps.   I can’t tell where you are located but if in the Northern Virginia area, I would be glad to help you swap them out and show you how to do your own services.  That is the only way you will know for sure if something is done right.  Plus it saves money and you get to know your bike better.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Agree with calling Cyclops - or shoot them an email. They're right up the road from me here in WA, in an actual building with actual products, and they are pretty quick to respond to both email and phone questions. If the dealer ordered directly from them, I'm sure they can figure out what parts need to be swapped, or what was possibly done wrong on the install, and get the dealer straightened out so that the dealer can get you straightened out. 

20 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I looked at their website last night. Is this the unit that cost $196. Would you mind sharing the model number please

Not sure what you are asking.    Your first post in this thread without any point of reference.    The OP’s bike is a 15 RT.  We don’t know which of the Cyclops kits he got yet.  

if you are looking for yourself, es they are pricey.  Get the right kit for your bike.  

On 11/19/2020 at 5:23 AM, Skywagon said:

I looked at their website last night. Is this the unit that cost $196. Would you mind sharing the model number please

David,

If you truly own a 2014 RT like your signature box indicates, and you actually visited the Cyclops web page marked below (for the 3-bulb high and low kit), did you miss the check boxes that ask you what model RT you are asking about?  If you did, you should have seen that the price is $224.90 (US) and not $194.95.

Oh, and the kit ID for your 2015 would be the CIL-RT-15.

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/BMW-R1200RT-LED-headlight-bulb-kit_p_194.html

FYI, I wrote a review lower on that page, and a review of them on my '16 RT on the following web site:

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/183415-review-cyclops-led-headlights-wetheads.html

On 11/18/2020 at 6:56 AM, Carlisja said:

I installed mine yesterday and put 40 miles on with no issue.   Installation was a bit of a PITA. The change happened in 2013 and another change occurred in 2019.  Call Cyclops.  Explain the situation.  They will probably be able to figure out which system was installed on your bike. And guide you in the next steps.   I can’t tell where you are located but if in the Northern Virginia area, I would be glad to help you swap them out and show you how to do your own services.  That is the only way you will know for sure if something is done right.  Plus it saves money and you get to know your bike better.

Thank you for your offer Carlisja! Going to let them make it right. I stopped by yesterday and they have a resistor in stock and will address this in a couple of weeks during the 18k service. But for servicing it later - will definitely hit you up! :18:

While not really "on topic" I replaced my 2016 RT low beam with Cyclops LED bulb and my riding partner also on a 2016 RT replaced all three bulbs with another brand of LED. Recently we made a 300+ mile overnight fast ride home due to a family emergency and most of the way home on the interstate we were able to ride side by side using both lanes of the interstate with virtually no traffic. What we noticed was that the light from my mixed (LED and H7) bulbs was much easier on the eyes and afforded better definition of what was in view due to the mixed color temperatures than did his all LED lights.  This is of course subjective, but it was a mutual observation.

Bob

• Thinking 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally heard from the dealer today. They called me after talking with a Cyclops rep. Cyclops rep said that two resistors need to be installed on the right high beam and one on the low beam. Going there on the 16th and will post back how it worked.

I have the Cyclops low beam H7 bulb on my 2018 RT and like the added brightness.   Specs below:

10th Generation Features

-All metal bases!

- Plug and Play
- BMW Canbus compatible
- Cree XHP50 Emitters X2

- Replaceable Driver
- Smaller Diameter Housing

- All parts fit under stock BMW caps

-Connects to factory wiring, no modifications to wiring necessary.

Technical Specs
- Lumen Rating: 4800
- Color Temperature: 5700K
- Power Draw: 38 Watts

• 1 month later...

Issue has been resolved by the dealer finally. One resistor was installed on the right high beam and also one resistor on the low beam. It took a while for the dealer to reset the computer because the warning light was stuck on the dashboard after reinstall when high beams were turned on but it wasn't generating an error code. All works great and pretty happy with the new lighting. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Finished installing the low beam Cyclops LED this morning, thought I'd share my experience here.

According to Cyclops website the low beam is on back order, due to ship in March...I called to see if it was available yet. Daryl said yes it is, and asked if I also wanted the resistor since he heard it had caused some issues with CANBUS. I received the LED bulb and 2 resistors yesterday, unsure why they sent 2. I removed the old halogen bulb with some effort, using a notched dowel to save my fingertips. I read the instructions provided by Cyclops, saying to remove the base and install it without the bulb. Finally figured out you have to twist then pull them apart. I've seen pictures of more detailed instructions from Cyclops, however the single page of text I received didn't include that detail.

I spent the next hour without success trying to install the Cyclops base. It held in place just fine, but the ends of the clip would not engage in the tab slots. Mirror, flashlight, different versions of wooden slotted dowels...finally I gave up and removed the headlight assembly. I was frustrated because just last October I had replaced the bulb using the "blind" method, why couldn't I do it now?

Once the assembly was on the bench the problem was obvious. The loops at the end of the clip, when pressed down, would not line up with the slots in the tabs...they landed about 3/16" past the slot. Maybe I had bent the wire when pushing with the dowel?? I corrected it using needle nose pliers and got them lined up so the task was easily done with fingertips.

Regarding the resistor, I asked Boxflier for his experience in either using or not using them. He said in the 6 Cyclops LED bulbs that he has installed, ranging from 2015 to 2017 model year RTs, he did not use the resistor and did not have any CANBUS issues. For that reason,  I did not install the resistor. Once it was all back together, the bike started up and showed no alerts with low beam or high beam.

Thanks Boxflier for your continued support to this forum. Sharing information takes some of the pain out of owning high tech machines.

I believe the resistor is for the radio, my radio had a lot of static and could not pick up many stations without the resistor, became useless. With the resistor back to normal.

Michiganr80rt

I also installed Cyclops bulbs in my 2014 R1200RT this weekend. After dealing last summer with the bent clips migrant described I decided to remove the assembly to do the install this time. I used the resistor in the H7 low beam and one of the H1 high beams. No CANBUS errors and no radio noise. 

• 2 weeks later...
profbodryak

Interesting, I bet it has to deal with the month/year production date. On mine, without a resistor with low/high beams changed to Cyclops LED's, headlight warning light would come on every time a high beam was turned on. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/5/2021 at 2:45 PM, profbodryak said:

Finally heard from the dealer today. They called me after talking with a Cyclops rep. Cyclops rep said that two resistors need to be installed on the right high beam and one on the low beam. Going there on the 16th and will post back how it worked.

Hi,

I also just installed Cyclops H4 low beam and both H1 high beams for my 2018 RT; per instructions with one resistor for low beam and on right side high beam. Lights all work fine, but like your original post, when going to the high beams I get the “bulb” warning light and the yellow triangle alert. Going back to the low only, warning disappears. Spoke to Cyclops about this.

In your comment above, are you saying one or two resistors and needed for right high beam bulb?

Can you clarify what fixed the warning issue and what was finally installed (and where)?

Thanks 

1 hour ago, GoldenWest said:

Hi,

I also just installed Cyclops H4 low beam and both H1 high beams for my 2018 RT; per instructions with one resistor for low beam and on right side high beam. Lights all work fine, but like your original post, when going to the high beams I get the “bulb” warning light and the yellow triangle alert. Going back to the low only, warning disappears. Spoke to Cyclops about this.

In your comment above, are you saying one or two resistors and needed for right high beam bulb?

Can you clarify what fixed the warning issue and what was finally installed (and where)?

Thanks 

I get the warning every once in a while on high beam, but only for a short period and not all the time. On the low beam, the Cyclops kit has been working trouble free.

One resistor for the low beam and one resistor for the right side high beam. 

The increase in light output on low beam is worth the expense and effort.

A second benefit is that if I use high beam, with max output of my Clearwater LED lights and heated grips, jacket and gloves, I don't get any longer low voltage alarms.

Cyclops does sell a low beam conversion only also, for those who don't ride much at night. 

On 11/23/2022 at 8:34 PM, GoldenWest said:

Hi,

Thanks 

Hi GoldenWest, 

It was done by Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg. I can call and ask if that will help you as I am not sure where the second resistor went. But I never get a warning dash light, even for a second anymore. It happened only once when I just got a random dash warning light just driving without using the high beams. 

Since my last post however, they had to swap out the low beam 11 months since the initial installation due to failure. 

Also, of note is that they called cyclops and they were told that the way this issue manifests itself depends on the date of production. Mine so happened to be manufactured around 04/2015, if I recall correctly, when some changes were being made. 

Hi and thanks for the reply. I am curious where a second resistor was installed. 
I just received my bulbs; Nov 2022, so assume their recent production. The low beam has been solid with no warning issues. I’m fully aware of the improved light output. I had these same bulbs in my 2006 RT with absolutely no issues, so the the 2018 RT is unexpected and frustrating. Especially frustrating seeing the warning lights, despite both low and high beams function perfectly.

Thanks again 

GoldenWest, I actually meant the production date of the motorcycle. Let me shoot Morton's an email (they are not open until Tuesday) to see what they did. Hoping they still remember how they fixed it. 

9 hours ago, profbodryak said:

Let me shoot Morton's an email

Hi, I appreciate your emailing, and would welcome their input. I’ve been communicating with Cyclops Adventure Sports in Kent Washington on the issue. They’ve said this anomaly does occur, and can resolve itself after a short time with use. Instal ( other time removing the headlight assembly) if straightforward.

Thanks again 

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/23/2022 at 5:34 PM, GoldenWest said:

Hi,

Thanks 

Here is a status update on my issue posted above.

After communicating back and forth on possible “bulb out” notification and warning triangle causes, yesterday I went to install a second high beam resistor sent by Cyclops Adventure Sports in Washington.
I removed the right speaker and high beam cover, pulled out the resistor, all the wiring, removed LED bulb, etc.

I first checked to confirm the various pieces, wiring path, polarity and connections were correct and intact.
In the process of checking I noticed the LED bulb‘s positive male spade (red) inserted into the resistor’s orange output plug was connected, but it wasn’t super snug.

I disconnected the pos. spade, then inserted a small screw driver into the positive female in orange connector, expanding it to increase internal tension.
Reinserting the pos. spade it was now very snug; a nice tight fit!
With everything now connected, but before stuffing everything back or reinserting the bulb, I turned on the ignition, started the bike, put high beams on and “no bulb out or warning triangle”!

So, making sure all the connections were nice and tight did the trick for me.
Took the bike out at dark afterwards just to confirm, and no alerts.

• Like 2

BTW, I did rely on my O-ring pullers to “fish out” the wiring harness, resistor, bulb etc.
I was surprised to find the pos spade not having a “super tight” connection was enough to affect resistance and trigger computer to read an insufficient (resistance) current draw.
But evidently it did.

• Like 3