IGNORED

Some life saving stuff.

Whip

That’s a good find. Didn’t know the issue of hard braking. 
I copied something out of aviators handbook. Much of it won’t apply to motorcycles but some of it does. One that for sure applies is don’t sweep eyes back and forth. Your eyes need roughly 2 seconds to actually focus and see objects. 

• The eye can see 200° at a time
  • Must focus the eye at 10° increments at a time, about a second or 2 when looking for traffic
  • Vision can be effected by different levels of illumination:
    • Bright Illumination: reflected off clouds, water, or snow, and desert terrain that produces glare resulting in eye strain
    • Dim Illumination: small print and colors on aeronautical charts and aircraft instruments become unreadable
    • Dark Adaptation: Eyes must have at least 20 to 30 minutes to adjust to reduced light conditions
      • Red light helps night vision however distorts color
      • Impaired by exposure to cabin pressure altitudes above 5000', carbon monoxide inhaled in smoking and from exhaust fumes, deficiency of Vitamin A in diet and by prolonged exposure to bright sunlight
      • Light adaptation can be destroyed in seconds, closing one eye may preserve some
  • While the eyes can observe an approximate 200° arc of the horizon at one glance, only a very small center area called the fovea, in the rear of the eye, has the ability to send clear, sharply focused messages to the brain
    • All other visual information that is not processed directly through the fovea will be of less detail
    • An aircraft at a distance of 7 miles which appears in sharp focus within the foveal center of vision would have to be as close as 7/10 of a mile in order to be recognized if it were outside of foveal vision
    • Thus, one must use timesharing techniques to efficiently scan the surrounding airspace while monitoring instruments as well
    • Each movement should not exceed 10°, and each area should be observed for at least 1 second to enable detection
    • Although horizontal back-and-forth eye movements seem preferred by most pilots, each pilot should develop a scanning pattern that is most comfortable and then adhere to it to assure optimum scanning
  • Pilots should realize that their eyes may require several seconds to refocus when switching views between items in the cockpit and distant objects. The eyes will also tire more quickly when forced to adjust to distances immediately after close-up focus, as required for scanning the instrument panel. Eye fatigue can be reduced by looking from the instrument panel to the left wing past the wing tip to the center of the first scan quadrant when beginning the exterior scan. After having scanned from left to right, allow the eyes to return to the cabin along the right wing from its tip inward. Once back inside, one should automatically commence the panel scan
5 hours ago, Skywagon said:

One that for sure applies is don’t sweep eyes back and forth.

I don't have any data for the two seconds mentioned, but I have reviewed many bits of research showing that sweeping is a great way to miss what's right ahead of you. Did countless in-class experiments to prove this to driving students and, maybe more importantly, to driving instructors. If you don't already have the habit of pausing in the center/target area when scanning an upcoming intersection or other hazard, that would be a great behavior to practice on your next ride - or drive - or walk!

Thank you.  I learned a long time ago to ride at a comfortable pace, for me.    

There are MANY that I am not comfortable 'keeping up' with on asphalt.  

I watch most every video posted by F9. The production value alone is worth seeing, but while I don't agree with everything he says, he is a pretty smart guy.

• Like 1

On all my bikes, taking up the "slack" at the brake lever turns on the brake light.  How safe is it to have your brake light on all the time?  Just sayin'.  I do like his videos, though.

Frank

Good stuff, although I have the same concern as duckbubbles regarding the brake light when it comes to pre-loading the brake lever.

Nick Ienatsch has done a series of pieces on CW (or maybe Motorcyclist, I forget which) on _always_ trail-braking into a corner.  Part of the reasoning is similar to that above, i.e.,  if something unexpected presents itself, you've improved your reaction by already being on the brakes.  Another part is improving your braking performance in the same circumstance by already having your fork compressed and the front tire loaded.  I do find it hard to do at less than aggressive street speeds, though, and also to break the habit of using compression braking and leaving the brakes alone.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

"You get less out of the sex doll than you put in."  I really think they need Bob and Doug McKenzie to pitch that line.

That said, Practicing something close to maximum braking on the Police KZ1000s saved my butt once or twice.  Forgetting how to do it, due to panic, also almost cost my butt once.  It did cost a radar gun cord replacement when the bike dancing flipped the cord into the chain.

On 11/19/2020 at 8:28 AM, Groanup said:

I watch most every video posted by F9. The production value alone is worth seeing, but while I don't agree with everything he says, he is a pretty smart guy.

Agreed