IGNORED

Need a compact bead breaker. Any advice??

ELP_JC

Hi gang. Couldn't break the darn bead this time around with my rudimentary 2x6 method; Contis have a smaller profile than previous D220s. This is the only portion of the tire changing operation that is giving me trouble.

I don't have any space, or would have bought a tire changer a long time ago. Just need a way to break the darn bead with something more efficient than wood.

Remember seeing advertised a kind of giant C-clamp that pressed both sides of the tire at the same time until beads pop, but don't remember where. That's the kind of compact tool I'm looking for. And of course, that IT WORKS; that's why I'm picking your brains <he he>.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And both home-made and readily available alternatives are welcome. Thank in advance for your help folks.

Thanks a bunch Allen. Would only use #1, by the way. My 2 questions are if 18" is enough leverage, and if the bottom tube doesn't damage the wheel. I use a wood frame made of 2x6s to protect the wheel, but don't know if that tool is tall enough for the extra 1-3/4" in height. Will give those folks a call tomorrow.

Thanks again. And keep the comments coming.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Stop & Go makes one but I haven't used it. For years I've been using a large bench vise. Kind of a pain to use but it works.

motorc16.gif

Have seen these in catalogs before, wondered how well they work. Seems like once it breaks one bead loose, it's got no anchorage from which to pull the other bead loose anymore. confused.gif But if you've been using a vise, I guess that's the same technique, so it must work. Huh.

I was thinking what Joe said, and makes perfect sense; other than using the wheel as leverage, can't get the other side to pop at the same location. The only possible solution would be to try the opposite side and hope the seated bead pops first.

Thanks for the bench vise suggestion. I think it might work better since I'd guess the bead would pop on the smaller (moving shaft) end, and could reverse it on the opposite side of the tire, no? Only one way to find out. Will run to Sears later in the morning and see what happens. Take care, and thanks for the help.

Stop & Go makes one but I haven't used it. For years I've been using a large bench vise. Kind of a pain to use but it works.

motorc16.gif

Have seen these in catalogs before, wondered how well they work. Seems like once it breaks one bead loose, it's got no anchorage from which to pull the other bead loose anymore. confused.gif But if you've been using a vise, I guess that's the same technique, so it must work. Huh.

I bought one of these a few years back. Like you noted, once one side comes loose, the other side can be a pita to break loose. I placed the jaw of the tool on the rim with a piece of rubber under it and then unseated the other bead. Lots of fumbling and bad words usually were needed before the bead broke. My vise worked pretty good, but again, be careful not to mar the rim.

The best solution was homemade. I have an angle iron arm that bolts to the rear of my workbench (and is removeable)and made a shoehorn like bead breaker from another piece of bar stock. This works perfect! I can break both beads as fast as I can turn the wheel over thumbsup.gif

A regular C Clamp works fine.

6X941.JPG

Once the first bead is broken remove the clamp, place a protector on the rim, and clamp rim to bead.

Would one of these work?

5039ac1s.gif

(I use a drill press, but it's not very compact.)

No. Not enough clamping force.

Art I forgot all about that one. It's what I used the last time I did the DR's tires. I did the tires using only the tools I would have on the bike when traveling to make sure it could be done. What I've done in the past when only one side will break is to go ahead and spoon that side off the rim and then break the other side clamping against the rim but now the tire will serve as protection from marring the rim. Another option is

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/beadbreaker.html using 2x4's. I've seen another version of this but with it attached to a wall stud but I can find it.

beadbreaker1.jpg

DS

Jerry Johnston

Mitch, I see an opportunity for you here grin.gif If the S&G had a small piece of steel welded to one side it could hook over the wheel and pull the bead loose from the other side - reverse to do both sides. And of coarse it would need teflon tape on the welded side so the wheel wouldn't get scratched.

Archived