IGNORED

Brakes dragging?

T-Dubs

I have noticed on my 2006 R1200RT that on the first start in the morning it feels like the brakes are dragging when I first take off. It just seems I have to ease the clutch out alot slower and keep the revs up higher than I do later on once it's warmed up.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal? I'm speculating that maybe the final drive fluid is very thick in the mornings and takes a bit to warm up and thin out. Any suggestions on what might be going on?

14 minutes ago, T-Dubs said:

I have noticed on my 2006 R1200RT that on the first start in the morning it feels like the brakes are dragging when I first take off. It just seems I have to ease the clutch out alot slower and keep the revs up higher than I do later on once it's warmed up.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal? I'm speculating that maybe the final drive fluid is very thick in the mornings and takes a bit to warm up and thin out. Any suggestions on what might be going on?

Evening  T-Dubs

First thing you need to do is determine IF it's your brakes dragging or something else. 

See if the bike will easily move by hand before you even start it, or put the bike on center stand then try to spin the rear wheel before riding it, then lift the front wheel with a jack (or put a lot of weight in rear top box)  then see how easy the front wheel will spin. 

Your final drive gear oil would have to incorrectly thick  & it would have to be VERY cold to effect cold vehicle launch.  

The bike rolls in neutral just as easily in the morning as it does after riding a while. The brakes don't actually seem to be dragging; haven't noticed any unusual wear or other indication that they are dragging.

It only happens on the first launch of the day. By the time I hit the first stop sign a couple hundred feet from my house everything seems fine.

4 minutes ago, T-Dubs said:

The bike rolls in neutral just as easily in the morning as it does after riding a while. The brakes don't actually seem to be dragging; haven't noticed any unusual wear or other indication that they are dragging.

It only happens on the first launch of the day. By the time I hit the first stop sign a couple hundred feet from my house everything seems fine.

Evening  T-Dubs

Then that doesn't sound like dragging brakes, so next thing to check is for the engine being a bit low on power cold.

Possibly a fouled lower spark plug from oil in the cylinders after parking  (that usually cleans itself up pretty quickly after riding off), or  something engine control related.

Your tires are not real low on air pressure are they? 

If you have hill start make sure you aren’t squeezing the brake causing it to activate. I still have the habit of grabbing brake when I start up. I’ve activated hill start more than once

4 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

If you have hill start make sure you aren’t squeezing the brake causing it to activate. I still have the habit of grabbing brake when I start up. I’ve activated hill start more than once

Evening David

I don't think hill-start was available back in 2006. 

Thanks for all the tips, guys.

I'm about due for service anyway so I'll take a look at the plugs.

I check tire pressures religiously so I doubt that's the issue but it's a good reminder anyway.

And no, no hill start on this one.