IGNORED

Radio wiring perhaps?

Dave P

96 1100RT, poking around under the nose, this bundle of wires was taped off, not connected to anything. Bike has no radio (kinda like that) could this be wiring if it had the radio? Dave

C1EF85E7-30E7-4C7B-B05C-98AC9CF44EE4.jpeg

9 hours ago, Dave P said:

96 1100RT, poking around under the nose, this bundle of wires was taped off, not connected to anything. Bike has no radio (kinda like that) could this be wiring if it had the radio? Dave

Morning Dave

Yes, part of the radio harness. 

CKq3uh5.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Artie John said:

Which, if any of those wires are switched?  Looking for a trigger wire for Denali fuse block.

Afternoon Artie

The Violet wire is usually the switched one but you might have to put a fuse in cavity #8 in the under-seat fuse box  for it to provide key-on power. 

I used the violet wire to power a USB phone charger. I discovered that the violet wire is hot with the key in the "R" position. I need to turn the key all the way to "OFF" to de-energize that wire, which also means locking the handlebars all the way left or right.

Mine's an '03 and yours is a '97 so they might be different, but it's probably something you'll want to check.

21 minutes ago, RogerC60 said:

I used the violet wire to power a USB phone charger. I discovered that the violet wire is hot with the key in the "R" position. I need to turn the key all the way to "OFF" to de-energize that wire, which also means locking the handlebars all the way left or right.

Mine's an '03 and yours is a '97 so they might be different, but it's probably something you'll want to check.

Afternoon  RogerC60

It's the same on the 1100RT as the key has to go all the way to the  OFF  position to power-down that violet radio wire. The violet wire also stays on (hot) during engine cranking as it doesn't go through the load-relief relay. 

Hi Dave,

Looks like you found the info on what that harness was intended to be used for by BMW, and what sort of powered farkle owners have used the switched violet wire for in place of a radio.  I used my violet switched power lead for a nicely made in a basement set of turn+running light turn signals. Very old school using dual filament 1157 bulbs. Really does help with the front visibility thing on the R1100RT. I did this farkle before I bought a Kissan Signal minder which is a better way to go if you were ever to want this feature and turn signal cancelling because it is a program feature in the Signal minder unit.

Thanks for the info. Used the purple wire to connect the power hub trigger, now on to the high/low beam triggers for the lights themselves.

Paul and others- My plan is to install an on board garage door opener, wired to power. My old XC70 Volvo has a opener incorporated into the sun visor. You can link it to open 3 different doors. I purchased a visor for 5$ at the junkyard, ripped it apart to extract the opener ( it's about the size of a deck of cards). Two wires. I was going to wire it to the hot red and brown ground lines and mount it right under the speedo (speedo on the left?) opens door when button pushed. I think it's pretty cool. Hopefully it will actually work. Dave

32 minutes ago, Dave P said:

Looks like this, called "Homelink"

Morning Dave 

That thing doesn't look to be waterproof, is rain water or washing the motorcycle going to mess it up? 

I just carry a small universal remote in my riding gear pocket (about the size of a book of matches & about twice as thick).  I can usually push the buttons on it without even removing it from my pocket. 

The best part is that it works with any motorcycle that I might be riding that day. 

Harley offers a garage door opener triggered by the high beam headlight switch, not sure if it is a universal unit and would work with other models (I assume it would, or that there are models that will.)

I'm old school. I still just get off the bike and open the door. This allows the bike to cool a bit, and dissipate some of the extra fuel and oil smell that tends to build up on my old HD before I roll it in. I know you Beemer guys don't have that issue!

Haha Dave P.  When I saw the visor pic, my initial thought was,  Wait-what? why/where in the hell is he going to mount a car sun visor.  On the helmet like a vinyl mohawk fin?

JIEKAI Flip Up Shark Fin Motorcycle Helmet Modular Moto Helmet with Inner  Sun Visor Safety Double Lens Racing Full Face Helmets, Helmets - Amazon  Canada

How are you going to do that?  Seal it in a blob of silicone seal, or crystal clear acrylic seal?   I guess an obvious place to keep if dry  is inside one of the two little cubby boxes just below the speakers.  The right side already has access and I suppose a seal for the USB port. but that side is already cramped for space.

This has been shared before, but in my estimation, worthy of repeat.  One of the best videos on the subject of garage door opener remotes for motorcycles.  For some reason, it doesn't work at my house: