IGNORED

What is this part?

Zhann

Once again, another part I just can't figure out:

part.thumb.jpg.2804a9ca84378a3418bcc1b673584dad.jpg

It connects directly to my Fuel Tank, so I assume it is a fuel sensor of some kind. 

The real question ... can I remove it? What would happen to my bike if I just removed it?

Funny story, about a year ago I did something to my battery where I had to unplug this, then it turns out i never plugged it back in. Must have rode a few hundred miles before noticing it wasn't connected. Bike ran fine, didn't even notice a difference ... hence my questions.

31 minutes ago, Zhann said:

Once again, another part I just can't figure out:

It connects directly to my Fuel Tank, so I assume it is a fuel sensor of some kind. 

The real question ... can I remove it? What would happen to my bike if I just removed it?

Funny story, about a year ago I did something to my battery where I had to unplug this, then it turns out i never plugged it back in. Must have rode a few hundred miles before noticing it wasn't connected. Bike ran fine, didn't even notice a difference ... hence my questions.

Afternoon Zhann

The big round thing is the evap canister, the little valve is the purge valve.

They can both be removed & the vacuum lines to & from the evap valve  can be eliminated as long as you plug off the vacuum leak at the engine. 

You DO need to keep the actual fuel tank vent line operational so you can just vent the tank to under the motorcycle  (cut the end of the tank vent line at a 45° angle to prevent road water from being sucked into the fuel tank. 

That makes a lot of sense. But, just so I'm 100% clear on what you just said:

- I can remove the Evap Canister

- The line going from the tank to the Evap Canister should be plugged at the fuel tank

- The other line coming from the tank (fuel tank vent line) must stay and should be cut at a 45 degree angle at its end ... I've never touched this, so it is factory set now.

Thanks again for your insight.

2 minutes ago, Zhann said:

That makes a lot of sense. But, just so I'm 100% clear on what you just said:

- I can remove the Evap Canister

- The line going from the tank to the Evap Canister should be plugged at the fuel tank

- The other line coming from the tank (fuel tank vent line) must stay and should be cut at a 45 degree angle at its end ... I've never touched this, so it is factory set now.

Afternoon Zhann

- I can remove the Evap Canister --- Yes

- The line going from the tank to the Evap Canister should be plugged at the fuel tank ---Definitely NO, the tank still needs to vent to outside atmosphere.  Just continue the tank vent hose to under the motorcycle out of the direct road water area (usually to behind the R/H riders foot peg)

- The other line coming from the tank (fuel tank vent line) must stay and should be cut at a 45 degree angle at its end ---Yes

- The (vacuum) line going from the ENGINE  to the Evap Canister should be plugged at the engine end.

OH ... there's a line going from engine to the evap canister. Got it, ok. I will plug that, the rest I understand now. Thank you for that!

1 hour ago, Zhann said:

OH ... there's a line going from engine to the evap canister. Got it, ok. I will plug that, the rest I understand now. Thank you for that!

Do a search for canisterectomy, you will get videos and diagrams that spell it out completely. It’s a simple job.

2 minutes ago, Michaelr11 said:

Do a search for canisterectomy, you will get videos and diagrams that spell it out completely. It’s a simple job.

Evening  Michaelr11

Zhann is working on a 1200 CL & those are a bit more difficult than the standard 1100/1150 boxer bike.

Thank you Michael. While Dirtrider is correct, I'm sure watching a few videos will give me enough background not to screw things too badly.

• Like 1