IGNORED

R18 Classic and R9T refresh

fourteenfour

So now it has a wind screen and bags

To be honest a very disappointing presentation, they are way too proud of their involvement with Roland Sands. This pretty much summarizes the R18 line, it seems more of a bike to show off than ride off.

I have model name suggestions

R18 Instagram, the base model, for your customization

R18 Facebook, the Roland Sands customized versions

R18 Youtube, for all your runs to the store version, comes with bags

Oh, the upgraded the lights, electronics, motor emissions, and paint colors of the 2021 R9T line

• Thanks 1
On 10/22/2020 at 4:17 PM, Hosstage said:

BMW builds a big slow cruiser, and HD builds an ADV bike.

The world is truly confusing right now.

Yes .... while it seems odd it really makes sense if you look at it from a business perspective.  They are both trying to sell more bikes and more bikes in the future.  Hence they are expanding their market.  While I am not enamored with the R18 and it is just not for me ... I get why they built it.   Whether it will be a success is yet to be seen ... but my local dealer said he can sell all the R18's he can get.   Everyone he has gotten so far has been sold so somebody is buying them.   As for Harley they are looking to carve a path for the future, at least I suspect that is the hope.  Again whether that will be a success is yet to be seen and they really have a much harder challenge getting the world to view them as more than a builder of retro looking outside but new inside heavy cruisers.   Will be an interesting next few years. 

HD has changed their direction again, it seems giving up on expanding their model line and markets. They had too much time and money into the Pan Am to abandon it, but it will probably be a short lived model, as they go back to concentrating on their core, big, comfy, high end cruisers and tourers.

On 10/22/2020 at 11:03 AM, fourteenfour said:

So now it has a wind screen and bags

To be honest a very disappointing presentation, they are way too proud of their involvement with Roland Sands. This pretty much summarizes the R18 line, it seems more of a bike to show off than ride off.

I have model name suggestions

R18 Instagram, the base model, for your customization

R18 Facebook, the Roland Sands customized versions

R18 Youtube, for all your runs to the store version, comes with bags

Oh, the upgraded the lights, electronics, motor emissions, and paint colors of the 2021 R9T line

I have not ridden any flavor, but I had a long talk the other day with a long time BMW rider (primarily RTs, but many other models as well) who picked up an 18 as his most recent bike. He absolutely loves it and will tell you - at length - how great it is. So...at least some people seem to be fans. 

Edit to add: he’s put miles and miles on it

12 hours ago, szurszewski said:

I have not ridden any flavor, but I had a long talk the other day with a long time BMW rider (primarily RTs, but many other models as well) who picked up an 18 as his most recent bike. He absolutely loves it and will tell you - at length - how great it is. So...at least some people seem to be fans. 

Edit to add: he’s put miles and miles on it

Oh I have no doubt some people will love the bike and more power to them. I find it too compromised for appearance sake and the weight is inexcusable to me.  Still I will await the bagger version as its expected to be a little longer in suspension travel and have a real fairing. Sadly spy shots show it with a fixed windscreen and I really hope they don't go that route.

I just came back from a 4 state, couple of Thousand Mile ride that ended up in a small town in Arizona. The halfway point.

Sure... Zion and Bryce Canyons are beautiful but, when I got to my friends home, there was only one thing I wanted to do.

RIDE HIS R-18! The start up is religious! Violent, yet controlled. The vision is spectacular. This is an absolutely stunning bike.

After getting acquainted with the bike, I took off. First into the hills and then the highway. My motorcycle of choice is an RT.

but through 50 years of riding I have experienced just about everything from Aprilia to Zundapp. The motorcycle is a dream.

If BMW built a bike in Milwaukee, this is it. Its a GERMAN HARLEY! Stripped down, no extra crap, just pure chopper! 1st gear is a LITTLE low, and you're in it for seconds. BOOM 2nd gear, NOW you're accelerating! 3rd gear and shit IS happening. 4th gear... you can leave it in 4th all day in town.

5th and 6th, you're just not ready for! At reasonable speed in town, say 40-45 mph, if you grab a handful of throttle, hard, it tries to rip the freakin' tire from the wheel. The violent acceleration is amazing! It out Harley's a Harley! The pipes make it sound very similar, the seat position, the leg position, everything

including the handlebars make you think chopper! After 80 or 100 miles on the highway, we rode to a old town in the desert. Rough roads are not kind to the suspension... part of that is, new bike, not set up perfectly, yet. Small stuff, Front tire balance, soften the suspension, a little. From there we rode a section of OLD Route 66 into the desert. The handling through turns is 1000 times better than a Harley, it's not a Ninja, its a CHOPPER. It handles high speed very well ( very, very, well!) and the brakes are superior. After 200 miles, on various roads and conditions, this is a PERFECT TT motorcycle. Tavern to Tavern.

It was worth the ride to Arizona, and with out a doubt, one of the most entertaining Motorcycles I have ridden in a while.

What a Fuckin' kick in the ass to ride!  BERLIN BUILT!

PS: I just saw the line about BIG SLOW CRUISER...

Dude... you're looking at a different motorcycle! At high speed the 2" break in the back of the seat, saves your life!

Outside of the S1000RR, THIS IS THE FASTEST AND QUICKEST BMW EVAH!

• 1 month later...