IGNORED

Bohn Body Armor Airtex Armored Riding Shirt Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Bohn Body Armor Airtex Armored Riding Shirt Review intro

I support the All The Gear All The Time mantra although it may sound a tad hypocritical in that I sometimes leave the heavy-duty riding jacket behind when I head to the store or leave camp to grab a stack of firewood. It’s hard to justify wrestling on my adventure touring jacket when I know I’ll only be riding a short distance.

A number of manufacturers have recently introduced ultra-lightweight armored jackets. These jackets have been designed for riders making the above-referenced runs, as well as the “in-town” motorcycle commuter. Bohn Body Armor has been filling this ultra-lightweight niche in the motorcycle gear market for decades.

BohnBodyArmor Airtex Shirt Review FB

When I first took the Airtex Shirt out of its package, I immediately noticed the quality of the shirt’s construction. The stitching is clean and tight, and there was clearly a great deal of forethought in the placement of the CE-Level 1 armor. Over the course of my testing, I was impressed with how closely and tightly the Airtex Shirts armor conformed to my shoulders, back, and arms. Improperly fitted armor does nothing to protect the rider in the event of a get-off, as protective components in motorcycle gear have a tendency to shift when fabric meets tarmac. The Airtex Shirts body-conforming characteristics can be attributed to the Lycra and mesh fabric used in the shirt’s construction.

BohnBodyArmor Airtex Shirt Review 1

I was pleasantly surprised at the Airtex Shirts versatility. I’m a weekend adventure rider, which means that I’m commuting to work five days a week. The Airtex Shirt has been a welcome addition to my professional attire. Its lightweight fabric makes it the perfect companion piece to a shirt and tie. Before using the Airtex Shirt, wearing an armored jacket over work clothes in hot weather and rush-hour traffic was simply not practical.

The Airtex Shirt is not limited to pencil-pushing motorcycle commuters, it also makes a great addition to the traveler’s and overlander’s kit. Dirt riders will appreciate its ability to accept a chest protector over top; road warriors will appreciate its ventilation; and both will appreciate the peace of mind that comes from wearing gear, even on those short jaunts in and around camp. The Airtex Shirt is also designed to act as a base layer under heavy-duty adventure jackets and serve as an added layer of armor separating the rider and the not-so-forgiving earth.

BohnBodyArmor Airtex Shirt Review 2

Users of the Airtex Shirt aren’t limited to wearing it over a shirt, however. It can also be worn underneath your favorite down jacket, sweatshirt, flannel, or T-shirt. The Lycra and mesh fabric make the Airtex Shirt extremely comfortable when worn without a layer underneath.

The Airtex Shirt is designed for both men and women and comes in a variety of colors, including high-viz green. Gone are the days of excuses. There are simply no more justifications for not wearing your riding gear. Bohn Body Armors Airtex Riding Shirt answers the demands of both daily commuters and world-trekking travelers.

BohnArmor.com

MSRP: $149–$159

PROS:

• Ultra-ventilated and breathable
  • Packs down to a small and flat size
  • Extremely lightweight
  • Forget the gym, just put a shirt over it

CONS:

• You’re out of excuses for not wearing armor
  • Expensive—but less expensive than orthopedic reconstruction of your bones

BohnBodyArmor Airtex Shirt Review 3

ZiAmhG9PsR8