IGNORED

What's BMW doin' about communications?

ElJay

Well, I've got this '05 R12RT with the works and the CD/Radio has settings for Intercom and Auxiliary, but it looks like they can't be used right now. I want to get a GPS with flexibility to use the bike's speakers, use of an iPod (same flexibility), and include a bike2bike communications system. I've been looking into the Autocom systems but so far I'm holding out to see if BMW comes out with anything to integrate better with the existing system. Anyone have ideas on what BMW is up to in this area? Any other comm vendors besides Autocom and Baehr to check out? Speculating is great but I'm ready to start fixin' up "Baby Red". Let me know.

What BMW has just announced to its dealers is a J&M-based CB system, with a built-in intercom. The system is about $795 and each headset is about $245, so figure about $1300 plus installation.

From the bulletin I read, it seems to integrate into your radio/CD system such that it will play in your helmet(s), but there doesn't appear to be the ability to connect outside music sources, or radar, or GPS. I don't recall if the intercom is VOX activated, or if it requires using the CB's PTT button.

Knighthawk

J&M BMW branded system for $1300 dopeslap.gif ...why does that not suprise me.

I will stick with Autocom.

You know if the BMW name is on it, its never cheap. That's a LOT to pay just for an intercom system. I'll get more info on it. So far the high end Autocomm system is looking like the best fit for me. I see it even has optional blue tooth capabilities if you want to go that way. Still looking........

lawnchairboy

autocom satisfied here...GPS, XM, B2B, Cellphone, intercom, idiot proof, thanks for the kenwood fernando...

chris

Well, I've got this '05 R12RT with the works and the CD/Radio has settings for Intercom and Auxiliary, but it looks like they can't be used right now. <snip>

You actually can use the AUX feature of your radio, check this thread. click here

The new BMW (J&M) system includes all you need to connect your radio/cd player as well as radar detector, GPS, phone etc. The price including helmet sets is favorable with the J&M product (I priced it a while back) but gives the advantage of added noise filters and connectors that mate with the BMW plugs (so it appears anyway)

I've used Autocom for years and endorse the product but incorporating CB, which I prefer on certain rides is very tough with Autocom - it can be done, but its still sub-optimal in my view at least. Others will legitimately disagree.

So - FWIW - I'm migrating to the BMW product - if it sucks I'm only out money.

Cheers,

Archived