IGNORED

2015 RT idle only after startup

Rockosmith

Yesterday, several hundred miles from home, I stopped for a rest break.  Upon restarting to continue riding, my 2015 RT idled normally but would not respond to throttle input.  I shut down and restarted and all was normal.  After getting home my GS-911 showed a 21F954 fault code...throttle grip sensor.  Channel 2, MIN range sensor.  Looking for guidance as to the next step.  Thinking of disconnecting throttle grip wiring and spraying with a good electrical contact cleaner.  All thoughts appreciated.

24 minutes ago, Rockosmith said:

Yesterday, several hundred miles from home, I stopped for a rest break.  Upon restarting to continue riding, my 2015 RT idled normally but would not respond to throttle input.  I shut down and restarted and all was normal.  After getting home my GS-911 showed a 21F954 fault code...throttle grip sensor.  Channel 2, MIN range sensor.  Looking for guidance as to the next step.  Thinking of disconnecting throttle grip wiring and spraying with a good electrical contact cleaner.  All thoughts appreciated.

Morning Rockosmith

I have heard of a few similar (21F954) and/or (21F952)  failures, on the ones that I know about all  the dealer did was to  "reset the throttle grip sensor adaptation values" then send the rider on their way (you can do that at home with your GS-911).

To me it doesn't seem like the correct dealer approach as that doesn't address the 'root cause' on why the failure happened to begin with. 

Two thoughts, first call your dealer to see what they suggest (they have probably dealt with this failure before).

Make sure that the wire harness plug at the twist grip is fully seated, then  reset the throttle grip sensor adaptation values & hope the problem doesn't return. 

As much as I like to take care of the bike myself, this may be one of the types of indicators that your bike could be in need of software updates available only from a BMW connection at the dealership.

In the spring of 2019, I had my '16RT in to MAX BMW for a warranty replacement of the exhaust header/cat/exhaust flap due to a seized flap…at the same time they connected the bike to the BMW computer and did an update to about a dozen areas/modules all intimately controlled thru software.

The bike overall seemed to be a little smoother, both in the way the engine operated and the way the ShiftPro worked.  There were several updates to the instrument cluster, that I couldn't really see the difference, but I assume that it made changes to some of the menus and displays.

I just think that every couple of years, it's money well spent to schedule your bike to be updated with a connection to the BMW computer at the dealership…I love my GS-911, but it cannot update some critical software issues with the bike.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Rockosmith

I have heard of a few similar (21F954) and/or (21F952)  failures, on the ones that I know about all  the dealer did was to  "reset the throttle grip sensor adaptation values" then send the rider on their way (you can do that at home with your GS-911).

To me it doesn't seem like the correct dealer approach as that doesn't address the 'root cause' on why the failure happened to begin with. 

Two thoughts, first call your dealer to see what they suggest (they have probably dealt with this failure before).

Make sure that the wire harness plug at the twist grip is fully seated, then  reset the throttle grip sensor adaptation values & hope the problem doesn't return. 

I verified that the wire harness at the twistgrip was fully seated and reset the adaptation values as you suggested.  I will make a call to my dealer tomorrow for their opinion.  Thanks for the replies!