IGNORED

Nav V Power Cable

KSB

I have a Nav V that I want to use on another bike.  If I connect the to the bike using cable that is used to connect the Nav V to the computer, I can't get more that 30% brightness and that is not enough to read the screen.  If I disconnect the cable, the brightness works fine, but I run out of battery after a while.  I have the optional car mount, but its supplied cable uses a cigarette lighter plug.  I have an adapter to go from DIN socket to cigarette plug, but that results in a spider web of connectors however the Nav V works with that arrangement.  The small end of the car adapter cable that plugs into the car mount is different than a micro USB or anything else that I can find.

Question: Is there an adapter to allow the Nav V computer cable to work as a charger only (PowerLet had one for a Garmin Nuvi, but none listed for the Nav V)?

11 minutes ago, KSB said:

I have a Nav V that I want to use on another bike.  If I connect the to the bike using cable that is used to connect the Nav V to the computer, I can't get more that 30% brightness and that is not enough to read the screen.  If I disconnect the cable, the brightness works fine, but I run out of battery after a while.  I have the optional car mount, but its supplied cable uses a cigarette lighter plug.  I have an adapter to go from DIN socket to cigarette plug, but that results in a spider web of connectors however the Nav V works with that arrangement.  The small end of the car adapter cable that plugs into the car mount is different than a micro USB or anything else that I can find.

Question: Is there an adapter to allow the Nav V computer cable to work as a charger only (PowerLet had one for a Garmin Nuvi, but none listed for the Nav V)?

Afternoon KSB

I can't help you with your direct problem as the couple Nav 5's  I have worked with were just used in the Motorcycle cradle.

My post here is mainly a caution:  The USB connection is not waterproof so it is not recommended to try to power you GPS through a USB connection on a motorcycle. 

But if you still want to try to power from a USB connection then have you tried setting the screen brightness with the USB connected & powered up?  I'm not sure on the Nav 5  but on most of my other Garmin GPS units the screen brightness remembers it's brightness setting per connection type.  

THANKS Dirtrider.  Hadn't thought about the USB connector not being waterproof :5146: 

I tried to adjust the brightness while connected, but only get 30%.  Disconnect and it adjusts to 100%.

There is a motorcycle mount available that I didn't get when I bought the unit as I was getting it for my 2016 R1200RT.  I might get one to try.  Probably the right solution.

THANKS LitIleBriar.    Does this mount (for the Garmin Zumo 590 595) work for the BMW Nav V?  Based on your recommend I guess it does, but wanted to make sure.

18 minutes ago, KSB said:

THANKS LitIleBriar.    Does this mount (for the Garmin Zumo 590 595) work for the BMW Nav V?  Based on your recommend I guess it does, but wanted to make sure.

I have both a Nav V and Zumo 595, the mounts aren't compatible with each other. 

12 hours ago, KSB said:

The one I bought that works is listed as compatible with Zuma 660 & 665.

10 hours ago, LittleBriar said:

The one I bought that works is listed as compatible with Zuma 660 & 665.

That one will work with a Nav 4, 5, or 6