IGNORED

Fuel indicators

Red

Riding today I was trying to get to minimum fuel levels to burn the old and put in as much fresh fuel w/ stabilizer as possible.  Low fuel indicator came on.  Manual says it comes on with 1.1 gal of fuel on board.  At the same time my distance to empty indicator says I have 76 miles to empty.  That math does not work.  I rode 27 miles on flat ground with no tail or head wind at 65 mph to the gas station after low fuel indicator appeared.  I could only choke in 5.6 gallons of fuel which means that I still had 0.9 gal of fuel remaining.   I mean, I filled that puppy within 3 inches of the rim.  So, it would appear that neither the manual statement of 1.1 gal of fuel to empty nor the distance to empty indicator would would seem even remotely accurate.  What is a person to believe?  What are your experiences?  You have to love it though.  When I fueled the distance to empty indicator read 315.  As I rode the 6 miles to home, the distance to empty read 327 at shut off.  :4322:

I fill to the top.  Bounce the bike and fill some more, then shake side to side to get more air out and fill some more.  Right, wrong, expansion, I've not had any issues yet.

1 minute ago, Rougarou said:

I fill to the top.  Bounce the bike and fill some more, then shake side to side to get more air out and fill some more.  Right, wrong, expansion, I've not had any issues yet.

Morning   Rougarou

You can ride it with a fill like that but you don't want to winter store it like that or it can turn your evap canister carbon media into a gooey mess. 

I have not pushed my current bike to empty and tend to avoid getting all that close anyway because, as I understand it, running the fuel pump dry can damage the fuel pump.  If you are worried about the freshest gas, you might want to run stabilizer in the last couple of tank loads so as to not worry about stale gas at the end of the season.  At least in these parts If you live in an area with lots of boating, or recreational vehicles, many of the gas stations have ethanol free premium which might be an advantage for storage as well (still using stabilizer).

Back in the day on my bikes with a metal fuel tank I would do a max top off to avoid/limit chance of rusting of the inside of the tank. Bikes with a resin tank, like the RT, 1/2 to 3/4 full is fine plus some Seafoam stabilizer has served me well.

• Like 1

That reserve fuel quantity is also listed in the manual as 1.1 gallon, but the usable fuel quanity is 6.6 gallons. The manual explains   "usable fuel quantity" specified in the technical data is the fuel quantity, which can be refueled if the fuel tank was completely emptied, i.e., if the engine dies off due to lack of fuel.  I have yet to test the miles remaining, although I have seen 0 miles remaining as I was pulling in to fuel.  

As I read the manual again, it states to fuel the bike on the center stand and fill it to the lower edge of the filler neck, no higher."  I always fueled it while on the side stand.  Go figure.  With my wrist using the Shift Cam power, I can be certain those computed estimates for range can be slightly off. :whistle:     Your kilometers may vary.

On 10/18/2020 at 5:05 AM, dirtrider said:

Morning   Rougarou

You can ride it with a fill like that but you don't want to winter store it like that or it can turn your evap canister carbon media into a gooey mess. 

I put about 15 miles on the 2018 RT after the stuff-it-full fuel stop.  Hope that is enough to prevent fuel canister demolition.

Motorhead1977
18 hours ago, Red said:

I put about 15 miles on the 2018 RT after the stuff-it-full fuel stop.  Hope that is enough to prevent fuel canister demolition.

Why not just syphon off a half gallon or so.

Why not just go ride another 15 or 20 miles? If it is at the ring no issues at all.  If it is above that then worry.  It does in fact have a vent.  I have NEVER read of anyone messing up a canister since I had my 07 LT.  On it we just removed the canister.

If I ever managed to wet the one on my GS I would remove it.

3 hours ago, LAF said:

Why not just go ride another 15 or 20 miles? If it is at the ring no issues at all.  If it is above that then worry.  It does in fact have a vent.  I have NEVER read of anyone messing up a canister since I had my 07 LT.  On it we just removed the canister.

If I ever managed to wet the one on my GS I would remove it.

Morning LAF

You have now____     https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/96963-evap-canister-full-of-fuel-line-plugged/?tab=comments#comment-1051908

26 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Well I did say I have never read about it not that it never happened :grin:

I dont know I just never tried to fill past the nozzle plate.  Now I have waited, and rocked it on the center stand to burp it, and put 10 cents more in :classic_biggrin:

On the way home form yesterdays SECFF, I rode 5 miles past 0 mile range and then added 6.3 gallons to the bottom of filler neck. That was after 262 miles since the last fillup.

Narcosis, ironically the distance to empty is not always a reliable source for distance to empty.  If you'll notice you can actually increase the distance to empty by riding down hill or backing off on the throttle for a few miles.  You can actually gain miles to empty instead of loosing them while riding.  Conversely, hit the throttle hard, especially on an uphill grade, and you can loose 1.5 mile per mile driven.  Your bike is always adjusting for your current riding style.

15 hours ago, Red said:

Narcosis, ironically the distance to empty is not always a reliable source for distance to empty.  If you'll notice you can actually increase the distance to empty by riding down hill or backing off on the throttle for a few miles.  You can actually gain miles to empty instead of loosing them while riding.  Conversely, hit the throttle hard, especially on an uphill grade, and you can loose 1.5 mile per mile driven.  Your bike is always adjusting for your current riding style.

Wow!  Thanks for the enlightenment.