IGNORED

Getting to hang on the RT...

Mane

Today a did my first, albeit short, ride with my new to me 2012 R1200RT after almost three weeks since I brought it home. My previous bike was a KTM 990 Adventure, and from the pit looking at the dash, this thing feels like a whale but it feel so smooth. The old KTM was fast by my standards but around at 140 kph, the wind noise, vibration, etc, the RT in comparison, just glides it the same stretch of road.

In the handling department, I find the clip ons some what odd and narrow, It would definitely have to get use to it. 

Once I was back home I did an oil and filter change, and was surprise on how easy it went. Just one drain plug and just one filter (the old KTM you had to drain from two separate places and replace one oil filter and two oil screens, not to mention you had to remove one of the fuel tanks.).

Overall, quite a different experience. 

Has anyone come from a dual sport (21 front wheel) to the RT? How much it took to get use to the new beast?

Regards,

Mario

8 hours ago, Mane said:

Has anyone come from a dual sport (21 front wheel) to the RT? How much it took to get use to the new beast?

Regards,

Mario

Morning   Mario

I have a number of 17", 19", 21" front tire motorcycles, they definitely turn-in differently but once you get some miles on that 1200RT you won't even notice the change other than the front end response-time differences. 

In fact I'm betting that once you get used to it you will find that you really like the faster response of the smaller front sport tire & narrower handlebars. 

• Like 1

If the KTM is gone you’ll get comfortable on the RT in short order. The going back and forth between bikes sometimes plays havoc with the mind. Tire pressures on the RT will play a roll in how heavy the bars will feel on turns I’ve found. I like 38F 42R.

7 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning   Mario

I have a number of 17", 19", 21" front tire motorcycles, they definitely turn-in differently but once you get some miles on that 1200RT you won't even notice the change other than the front end response-time differences. 

In fact I'm betting that once you get used to it you will find that you really like the faster response of the smaller front sport tire & narrower handlebars. 

In reality I was hoping that the RT would dive into the turn easier than the 21 front wheel on the KTM, but instead I found it to heavier, slower to turn. Could have been the Telever? Don't know.. The front wheel was 36 psi and the rear 39 according to the dash monitor. ESA was on sport for single rider, no luggage.

Guess I will have to rack up some miles before I start feeling confortable on this new setup, geometry.

Thank you!

Mario

7 hours ago, TEWKS said:

If the KTM is gone you’ll get comfortable on the RT in short order. The going back and forth between bikes sometimes plays havoc with the mind. Tire pressures on the RT will play a roll in how heavy the bars will feel on turns I’ve found. I like 38F 42R.

Yes, nice point you got there. I guess it could be harder to get use to one bike if you keep switching mounts.

I would try 38 psi on the front and see how it feels. 

Thank you,

Mario

• Like 1

I would also use a known good tire guage to set pressure rather than relying on the monitors. This will also confirm your dash readings.

• Like 1