IGNORED

Stalling intermittently

ThomasJ

I have been out on two trips the past two months...cruising along fine then its like the ignition turned off. coasted to a
safe pull out...waited about 5 min then started right up...the first time it got me about 3 hrs to home ok...the last time (coming home from the Falling
Leaf Rally) it happend again within 1/2 an hour....then road 5 hrs home without issue.

I have rewired my HES switch using high temp wires last year but recently bought a new HES assembly I'm going to put on. I may pickup a new coil, as I've read it could be the issue.

Does anyone else have a suggestion?

Thanks

2001 1150gs

Boy, sounds familiar.  Did you post this issue on another forum too?  That's okay,

I'll give you the same answer I posted to a similar question. Given that the HES is repaired, and you have an early single-spark 1150, I would say you have an issue with a coil that is failing.  Bike just dies, but all lights, and indicators re still on, right?  I had a failing coil on my RT, two friends with RTs also had similar stalling-restart issue with their bikes.  Eventually, with mine I had to get towed two miles from the gas stop where I would pause after my ride was (almost) over.

You could try a used coil from eBay, or just buy a new coil.

10 hours ago, ThomasJ said:

I have been out on two trips the past two months...cruising along fine then its like the ignition turned off. coasted to a
safe pull out...waited about 5 min then started right up...the first time it got me about 3 hrs to home ok...the last time (coming home from the Falling
Leaf Rally) it happend again within 1/2 an hour....then road 5 hrs home without issue.

I have rewired my HES switch using high temp wires last year but recently bought a new HES assembly I'm going to put on. I may pickup a new coil, as I've read it could be the issue.

Does anyone else have a suggestion?

Thanks

2001 1150gs

Morning  ThomasJ

THAT, problem is going to be a bugger to find as it doesn't seem to happen locally.

That isn't a typical coil failure, especially  with the later improved coil used on the 1150 single spark motorcycles as they usually don't just shut off completely (but not having much else to go on and the problem basically  happening while traveling for while)  you are probably going to have to start guessing. So a coil wouldn't be a bad starting guess. 

Was there any indication of impending quit? Like an odd tachometer action (jumping around?), or slightly lagging throttle response? Or odd sound from the exhaust?

The HES would also be a good starting point but you have (hopefully) already addressed that. (an HES problem usually shows up in the tachometer operation just prior to quit) IF you happen to be looking at it to catch it. Were you riding in the rain prior to the quit? The questionable part here is: a failing HES almost never gives you a  5 minute rest re-start. 

I have seen 1 myself & heard of 2 other 1150GS quits while riding due to the ignition switch going open (difficult to catch UNLESS you can get a repeat stall by lightly wiggling the wire pigtail going into the ignition switch). After the stall, cycling the key off then back on (or moving the handlebars)  seemed to get it running again (not sure which).

It doesn't sound like a contaminated fuel problem but if you have removed the evap can from the motorcycle be sure that you cut the bottom of the fuel tank vent hose (exiting behind the riders R/H foot peg to a 45° angle (in fact cut all the exit hoses to 45°).  

If the hose exit end is not cut at an angle & you ride long distances on wet roads the  road water can drip down the vent hose then gets sucked into the fuel tank with the make-up air entering the tank to replace used fuel.

Over the years I have had the unfortunate task of working on a few 1100/1150 motorcycles that quit randomly while riding longer distances. If the initial (typical) guessing doesn't correct the problem then a troubleshooting tactic that I have used with some success is to install a series of remote small panel lights up high where I can easily see them while riding. Those lights are hooked to the fuel pump 12v feed, fuel injector 12v feed, coil 12v feed, Motronic 12v feed, etc.   

For what’s it’s worth I had the same issue years ago on my 1150rt. It’s a long shot but on mine it turned out to be the quick disconnect. It looked fine but was only partially seated. I even had to trailer home one time. Fixed it and never has issue again

Thanks for the comments/recommendations...here are some comments to the comments:

Hope its not poor form to post the same questions to more than one forum...I received no responses on the initial posting.

10 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Was there any indication of impending quit? Like an odd tachometer action (jumping around?), or slightly lagging throttle response? Or odd sound from the exhaust?

No...no indication at all...just poof - off...though didnt glance at the tach so that may have shown something...

I have seen 1 myself & heard of 2 other 1150GS quits while riding due to the ignition switch going open (difficult to catch UNLESS you can get a repeat stall by lightly wiggling the wire pigtail going into the ignition switch). After the stall, cycling the key off then back on (or moving the handlebars)  seemed to get it running again (not sure which).

I had an issue with the ignition switch about 18 months back...think I eventually ended up replacing it. Left me stranded one night but with a handy pocket knife got it going again.

It doesn't sound like a contaminated fuel problem but if you have removed the evap can from the motorcycle be sure that you cut the bottom of the fuel tank vent hose (exiting behind the riders R/H foot peg to a 45° angle (in fact cut all the exit hoses to 45°).  

If the hose exit end is not cut at an angle & you ride long distances on wet roads the  road water can drip down the vent hose then gets sucked into the fuel tank with the make-up air entering the tank to replace used fuel.

Thats a great idea...cutting at a 45 deg angle...never thought of that...will ensure all are done so...I still have the evap cannister on.

Over the years I have had the unfortunate task of working on a few 1100/1150 motorcycles that quit randomly while riding longer distances. If the initial (typical) guessing doesn't correct the problem then a troubleshooting tactic that I have used with some success is to install a series of remote small panel lights up high where I can easily see them while riding. Those lights are hooked to the fuel pump 12v feed, fuel injector 12v feed, coil 12v feed, Motronic 12v feed, etc.   

This is also a great idea...made me smile, as I have done much troubleshooting in computer systems of the years and monitoring multiple signals is key...I was thinking there are 4 open pins in the diagnostic plug that could be wired to those 12v lines then make up a harness with lights on one end with the matching plug on the other end for use when there's an issue...may need a connector with more available pins.

10 hours ago, Skywagon said:

For what’s it’s worth I had the same issue years ago on my 1150rt. It’s a long shot but on mine it turned out to be the quick disconnect. It looked fine but was only partially seated. I even had to trailer home one time. Fixed it and never has issue again

Is the "quick disconnect" you refer too the fuel line disconnect? if so I dont have them...yet...they are on the list to buy.

My plan is to install the new HES unit I bought...order and install a new coil assy...maybe revisit the ignition switch then, if still issues, 

monitor the key 12v supply signals.

Thanks for the great comments...greatly appreciated.

Thomas....I can't solve your problem.  DR can...I was just sharing an experience that sounded similar.  Are you sure you don't have them?  they are under the right tupperware about mid bike.