IGNORED

2021 R1250RT

beemerman2k

I'll miss the look of the prior model, but I love the idea of LED headlights as standard equipment now.  The Xenon headlight on my K1300GT is so great I cannot imagine riding with anything less.

The look from the headlights kinda reminds me of the latest generation Honda Gold Wing headlights.

2021 BMW R1250RT

I miss the look of the old style clocks, but I imagine this panel would be far more useful and handy over the miles and the years.

• Like 1

I wonder how the integrated nav system will work.  Is this a walk away from Garmin?  The lack of an built in location for a Garmin Nav V or VI is troubling for those that have one and would like to keep using it -- now the rider will have to go back to finding a place to mount it.

• Like 1

Big departure Randy, especially if Garmin isn’t involved in the mapping. (I don’t know if they are or aren’t) Somebody said you can still use Basecamp to build your routes so if true, I guess they are. :dontknow: Also if that’s true, how do you transfer it to the bike? 

I guess the Nav VI will have to go with the bike when trading it in.   Interesting thought.   I would think a lot of folks would like to keep their current farkles and put them on the new bike, but the new model limits what can be carried over.

About the only upgrade that I desire for the RT would be more HP, but mine has plenty, so I am good.  For now.  (M-series?)  

6 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Big departure Randy, especially if Garmin isn’t involved in the mapping. (I don’t know if they are or aren’t) Somebody said you can still use Basecamp to build your routes so if true, I guess they are. :dontknow: Also if that’s true, how do you transfer it to the bike? 

I was wondering the exact same thing this morning, not that I'm planning on running our to purchase one.

• Like 1

It basically sounds like you'll be putting an app on your phone.  I think it's relying on your phone's GPS.  Then for a planned route, you have to put a GPX file onto your phone.  So I think it's your phone doing all the work.

It may work OK.  But I think it was short sighted to not include Apply Carplay and Android Auto.  That would give you more options.

11 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Pat, as mentioned above, you would transfer the GPX file (created in Basecamp, for example), to your phone (which would have to be running the BMW Motorrad Connected app).  You can also, if you choose, create a route using the phone app.  Can't imagine that would be useful, other than trying to go from point A to point B.  At least on the new GS/GSA, they still have the factory mount available for the Nav V/VI, though maybe that's because the TFT on the new 2021 GS's doesn't appear to have the same "full" navigation capability that the new RT will have..

• Like 1

I guess I'm in the minority but every time I go to the dealer and look at the bikes, nothing appeals to me. I know the new bikes are better in every way (at least I hope so), but I still get a thrill looking at AND riding both my R1150RT and R90s.

Until BMW gets back in the design game, I'll stay away and enjoy what I have.

• Like 1

You’ve got the monkey off your back! ;) :grin: Mentioned this before, years ago in one of the magazines there was an article about that. “Enjoying the ride you have” instead of always looking for the next best thing. I wish I could find it, was a good read.

1 hour ago, RPG said:

Like Bernie said, have you seen the R18? It's a design....

3 hours ago, RPG said:

I guess I'm in the minority but every time I go to the dealer and look at the bikes, nothing appeals to me. I know the new bikes are better in every way (at least I hope so), but I still get a thrill looking at AND riding both my R1150RT and R90s.

When I got my R1100RT a couple years ago, I went for looks. It was fast enough for me, I really didn't want/need the distraction of the wonder wheel and I wanted to do my own maintenance if possible. The design aesthetics of the older bikes appeal to me much more than newer bikes. Tho I have to say I really like the R18 design but its just too much bike for me and the cool weather along California's central coast where I live really calls for a bike with a fairing which BMW hasn't addressed on the R18, yet. But if I REALLY had to have a new bike and didn't care about the fairing, I'd justify buying this which is an modern RnineT under the covers. 

Best

Miguel

Miguel, that seat and those handle bars don't look like they are functional together.  A beautiful bike.  Just don't think it's well thought out.

On 10/16/2020 at 8:45 PM, TEWKS said:

A nice place to spend an afternoon or a week. :spittake:

2021-BMW-R-1250-RT-First-look-sport-tour

So looking at that picture closer is does appear more effort was made to push the wind around the handgrips than the current model

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Red said:

Miguel, that seat and those handle bars don't look like they are functional together.  A beautiful bike.  Just don't think it's well thought out.

Red, The bike is a reproduction of the 1935 R7, not a new design. Given that, the bars and seat design and arrangement mimic the original R7 design.

Interestingly, they have introduced a DIY kit version of the bike so you can build it yourself on an RnineT for about $7K + some options. The DIY kit does not recreate the R7 as accurately as the custom bike dies but is still a head turner. It would make an interesting addition to the stable for sure. Miguel. 

On 10/23/2020 at 2:57 PM, RPG said:

Still, the RT has come a loooong way since the R11xxRT.  When I bought my 2000 RT, I had to replace the lighting (headlight sucked!), horn, seat (omg, torture device!), shocks.  Then you had issues down the road with final drive, transmission input shaft, hall effect sensor, PTTR, etc.  The oil head RT was the most beautiful motorcycle on the road, for sure, but it had it's problems.

The new RT requires no such after market replacements.  Lights, horn, seat, shocks--solid components all around.

• Like 3

and here I am just hoping the stereo is good enough to not make me resort to headphones in my helmet.... well that and adaptive lights and navigation built in and not packaged so as to give it feet