IGNORED

Black Bear by bicycle

big-t

This is some of the best footage I have seen for Black Bear Pass especially if you have been down it.It really shows how dangerous it is.

Change your settings to HD if you have the speed.

Enjoy

• Like 3

I dunno, from looking at it, it is an impressive looking trail to play on, but from my 4-wheeling days, and seeing the stock/nearly stock vehicles doing this,.....I don't see it as a very dangerous trail for an experienced off-roader.  

And that red jeep shoulda had a real cage tied to the frame, along with five point harnesses.  I've seen a few rigs roll and those two things alone should be mandatory prior to any entry on a trail.....the cage was the very first mod I did to my last jeep and it was still stock.

I think for the semi experienced off-roader (two or four wheels) it’s gonna keep you on your toes.  For the rent a Jeep suburban Joe, it ain’t Disney World IYKWIM. That red reck looks unsurvivable! :eek:

15 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I think for the semi experienced off-roader (two or four wheels) it’s gonna keep you on your toes.  For the rent a Jeep suburban Joe, it ain’t Disney World IYKWIM. That red reck looks unsurvivable! :eek:

Only if you get vertigo, it really doesn't look that technical, but then again, video never does the angles justice.

the red jeep looks like a "oops, I didn't set the brake".

On a steep slope, I'd always set the brake and back the jeep "into" the cliff face/hill rise.  It can't possibly fall up.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Only if you get vertigo, it really doesn't look that technical, but then again, video never does the angles justice.

That is a LOT more rough, a lot more leaning, and more narrow than the videos make it seem. Most of the trails around Silverton/Telluride are easily passable. If you don't mind beating hell out of a regular vehicle. Jeeps are made for it. That trail is ONLY down, one way there is no going up the trail. There are a lot of Jeep rental places in the area. As far as I  know all will tell you that you cannot take their Jeeps on that trail. Yes, there are "stock" vehicles that do it. The conditions in this video were about perfect. Sometimes...they are not. 

19 minutes ago, realshelby said:

That is a LOT more rough, a lot more leaning, and more narrow than the videos make it seem. Most of the trails around Silverton/Telluride are easily passable. If you don't mind beating hell out of a regular vehicle. Jeeps are made for it. That trail is ONLY down, one way there is no going up the trail. There are a lot of Jeep rental places in the area. As far as I  know all will tell you that you cannot take their Jeeps on that trail. Yes, there are "stock" vehicles that do it. The conditions in this video were about perfect. Sometimes...they are not. 

I've been on very tight less than single vehicle trails.  Much of what I see on this video is letting the engine brake and steering, not alot of really working the vehicle.  Stock jeeps are not made for much more than what this was/is and in alot of the off-road world, would likely be called an access trail for the experienced driver.  I've gone through five jeeps and the last I built specifically for the difficult trails (37" tires, deep gears, armor, and streetable).  I'm just stating from my experience, it doesn't look that difficult.

It was wetter than it appears in this snap the day we rode it but the upside, we had very little Jeep traffic to deal with. I’m not sure if I’d be more nervous strapped into a 4 wheeler, I know you’d be sitting on the edge. :dontknow:

B56E646D-E317-43AC-9FF5-803E8D771FE6.jpeg

1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

It was wetter than it appears in this snap the day we rode it but the upside, we had very little Jeep traffic to deal with. I’m not sure if I’d be more nervous strapped in to a 4 wheeler, I know you’d be sitting on the edge. :dontknow:

B56E646D-E317-43AC-9FF5-803E8D771FE6.jpeg

I'm kinda leaning on being in the cage for that trail.  I'd run it in three wheel drive to make the switchbacks easier to handle.  But wet,......makes a big difference.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, big-t said:

Not the same Jeep,but I'm betting the roll cage won't be much good by the time it stops.

Factory jeeps come with a "sport cage",.....hence the reason many that play off-road, put in a real cage tied to the frame.  If'n you're gonna go play in an area of possible flops or rolls, ya might wanna put in something that will aid you.

1 hour ago, big-t said:

Not the same Jeep,but I'm betting the roll cage won't be much good by the time it stops.

Damn, that was close to being two Jeeps falling down the mountain!