IGNORED

Replacing a throttle cable on an r1200clc

Zhann

Hello. In my quest to alter my bike, I feel that the Cruise Control is something I almost never use and the factory system is way more than I need. The problem is that the throttle cable goes from my throttle to a box behind my headlights, and from the box to the engine (please excuse terms, I am not a mechanic and am learning as I go ... although, I am an engineer by trade). I want to eliminate this box entirely and go straight from my throttle to the engine. So, two questions.

First, where can I find the right cable? I would imagine that a cable from an r1200c would work, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Second is a bit more complicated, how would I go about actually replacing this wire? I understand the mechanics of it, where the ends go and such. The problem is how to thread the wire from the throttle to the engine. Thing is, that wire goes behind ABS 'pipes' that I am hesitant to touch. Then, it is inserted into this plastic box through a rubber sleeve. Getting it from the sleeve to the part that I need to connect it to is hard as well, but I am most concerned about getting it through the rubber sleeve into the big plastic box. There is virtually no room around the sleeve to work with, and while I can remove enough around that area to get needle nose pliers in there, I'm not really comfortable doing this given I can't find any instructions on how to do it for my specific bike. In other words, is there some instruction out there somewhere on how this is done? ... or, is there something similar I can watch to learn from?

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Zhann

3 hours ago, Zhann said:

Hello. In my quest to alter my bike, I feel that the Cruise Control is something I almost never use and the factory system is way more than I need. The problem is that the throttle cable goes from my throttle to a box behind my headlights, and from the box to the engine (please excuse terms, I am not a mechanic and am learning as I go ... although, I am an engineer by trade). I want to eliminate this box entirely and go straight from my throttle to the engine. So, two questions.

First, where can I find the right cable? I would imagine that a cable from an r1200c would work, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Second is a bit more complicated, how would I go about actually replacing this wire? I understand the mechanics of it, where the ends go and such. The problem is how to thread the wire from the throttle to the engine. Thing is, that wire goes behind ABS 'pipes' that I am hesitant to touch. Then, it is inserted into this plastic box through a rubber sleeve. Getting it from the sleeve to the part that I need to connect it to is hard as well, but I am most concerned about getting it through the rubber sleeve into the big plastic box. There is virtually no room around the sleeve to work with, and while I can remove enough around that area to get needle nose pliers in there, I'm not really comfortable doing this given I can't find any instructions on how to do it for my specific bike. In other words, is there some instruction out there somewhere on how this is done? ... or, is there something similar I can watch to learn from?

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Zhann

Evening   Zhann

You have some work ahead of you. I work on so very few of those darn 1200 c/cl bikes that I am not fluent in them. Plus it's been years since I have done much with them.

I probably have the information you seek in some of my old paper BMW manuals, but those 1200c bikes are so varied & different that without seeing (or you FULLY explaining)  what you have I will really have a difficult time matching my info to your motorcycle.

It sounds like that black box might be a Bowden box (cable splitter box) with the cruise control cable & twist grip cable going in & the throttle valve cables coming out. Problem is there were different versions & I really have no idea on what you have on your SPECIFIC motorcycle. 

If a simple Bowden box then you can probably just remove the cruise cable going into it then plug the hole. If you have 2 cables from that box going to the throttle assembly then you will probably need to retain that box.  If you only have 1 cable from that box to the throttle assembly then you can probably go with a single cable from the twist grip directly to the throttle assembly.  

I can possibly be of limited help IF you can tell me, show me, FULLY explain to me in detail EXACTLY what you have, what connects to it & where the cables ALL go.  

My best suggestion would be to try to find a dedicated forum on-line that has a large number of 1200C owners (dedicated 1200C/CL forum) as that would be your best chance of finding someone that has the specific detailed info that you need.  You need someone (or a group) that is fluent in all the major/minor  differences/changes/systems  in those 1200C/CL motorcycles. 

Well, if you are willing to help, let me give you a touch more background on me. I have never done anything like this in my life (cars, motorocycles, etc), but I have learned bits and pieces of my r1200clc over the years. I am a software engineer by trade, and enjoy tinkering, so I have some basic understanding of various things and learn reasonably quickly. Sorry about the ramble, but all that is kind of to explain that I may call things by the wrong name, or have a complete misunderstanding of an item.

Also worth noting, I don't have a complete vision of where I want to go with my bike. Currently, the thought is to strip it down as far as I can. Remove everything that is unnecessary. I have a new bike that I thoroughly enjoy, so this bike is going to be something I learn a great deal on, and hopefully a bike I can keep into my old age as a never ending project of sorts. I can go into greater detail as to my current vision for the bike, but that would be a very different conversation. 

Onto the matter at hand. Attached you will find 5 images:

- throttle_cable.jpg : Just an overall picture of what I'm looking at. There is also a version with circles (throttle_cable_edit.jpg). Their description starting in the upper left (throttle handle) going clockwise around

- Throttle handle. Where I need the wire to start

- Thats where the cable enters the throttle box

- This new interesting "joint" I found where I think I can connect the throttle handle to

- cruise box wire also leading to throttle box

- throttle_box.jpg : This is the magic box that works as a distributor to the throttle on the engine. Ingenious to me, but probably common

- throttle_box_inside.jpg : Here I see the 3 wires ... 2 for regulating the throttle and one leading to the engine. Brilliant

- cruise_box.jpg : This electronically pulls on the wire leading to the throttle box. 

While it is a genius device, it has to go. The real reason is I want to get rid of that over the knee fender on this bike, and this is in the way. 

Sorry, I ramble ... but, something to note above is the "Interesting New Joint" you can see in the throttle_cable.jpg. I intentionally pulled up the sleeve so it is more visible, but I can take a better picture if you like. Not sure what this is called, but it seems I can connect my throttle handle to it, and leave the assembly in the engine intact. Getting to that will be an enormous pain, it seems BMW thought this one through. Does this seem logical to you? If so, any idea where I can find the cable I need?

throttle_box.jpg

throttle_cable.jpg

cruise_box.jpg

throttle_box_inside.jpg

throttle_cable_edit.jpg

3 minutes ago, Zhann said:

- throttle_cable.jpg : Just an overall picture of what I'm looking at. There is also a version with circles (throttle_cable_edit.jpg). Their description starting in the upper left (throttle handle) going clockwise around

- Throttle handle. Where I need the wire to start

- Thats where the cable enters the throttle box

- This new interesting "joint" I found where I think I can connect the throttle handle to

- cruise box wire also leading to throttle box

- throttle_box.jpg : This is the magic box that works as a distributor to the throttle on the engine. Ingenious to me, but probably common

- throttle_box_inside.jpg : Here I see the 3 wires ... 2 for regulating the throttle and one leading to the engine. Brilliant

- cruise_box.jpg : This electronically pulls on the wire leading to the throttle box. 

While it is a genius device, it has to go. The real reason is I want to get rid of that over the knee fender on this bike, and this is in the way. 

Sorry, I ramble ... but, something to note above is the "Interesting New Joint" you can see in the throttle_cable.jpg. I intentionally pulled up the sleeve so it is more visible, but I can take a better picture if you like. Not sure what this is called, but it seems I can connect my throttle handle to it, and leave the assembly in the engine intact. Getting to that will be an enormous pain, it seems BMW thought this one through. Does this seem logical to you? If so, any idea where I can find the cable I need?

Evening   Zhann

The box with the cables going in is the Bowden (cable splitter box), the switch inside that box is to cancel the cruise control when you roll the throttle all the way forward.

Easy way is to probably just remove the cruise control cable gong into that box then plug the hole. 

Can you tell  if ONE or TWO cables leaving that box go to the engine throttle assembly (THAT makes a BIG difference on what to do next)?

Definitely only one going to the engine. And, that one wire has the 'interesting joint'. That joint seems to disconnect by simple screw, although I haven't tried. I just want to be sure of that before I try removing it, and also whether or not I can find a wire that will go from that joint to my handle rather than the Bowden.

11 hours ago, Zhann said:

Definitely only one going to the engine. And, that one wire has the 'interesting joint'. That joint seems to disconnect by simple screw, although I haven't tried. I just want to be sure of that before I try removing it, and also whether or not I can find a wire that will go from that joint to my handle rather than the Bowden.

Morning  Zhann

That is a simple yet could become complicated project.

In theory all you would need to do is buy a throttle cable for a non-cruise control version of your (EXACT)  motorcycle. 

BUT- that might be more difficult than it sounds due to all the variances of the BMW 1200C/CL motorcycles.

Without some in-depth research the non-cruise control version of your motorcycle could use a different  twist grip assembly,  or use a different attachment at the throttle assembly  (the 1200C/CL is WAY different than the standard 1100/1150 oilhead when it comes to throttle assembly & related parts).  

You need to get a GOOD in-depth look at both the twist grip cable attachment area and at the throttle assembly cable attachment  / adjustment areas. Then try to match those areas to a non-cruise control 1200C cable. Once you are SURE that the twist grip area & the throttle assembly areas match THEN you need verify the length of run from the twist grip to the throttle assembly (that will somewhat depend on what handlebars your 1200 came with). 

So you need to verify that on your year of manufacture,  your EXACT model,  your exact handlebar configuration, your exact throttle assembly that  all the parts are the same between a cruise-control motorcycle & a non-cruise control motorcycle. 

This sounds easy UNTIL you try researching the 1200C as those things are all over the map with  subtle differences.   

Your project would be difficult enough for me to do with the motorcycle torn apart in front of me & next to impossible to do remotely.  

Check your messages as I will try to send you some info to get you started. 

Good morning Dirtrider. Thanks for crushing my dreams and scattering my hopes. Just kidding, that is incredibly valuable information, thank you. 

I hope you don't mind an incredibly dumb question. When dealing with Throttle Cables, does length matter in any way outside of aesthetics? Looking at the cables, and seeing how they function, it seems to me that outside of being too short, the most important features of the cable are how the ends connect, and how much sticks out of the sheath at each end for a tight fit. The actual length of the cable within the sheath isn't necessary for function, it is merely for looks. Is this assumption in any way correct? I hope my question makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Zhann said:

Good morning Dirtrider. Thanks for crushing my dreams and scattering my hopes. Just kidding, that is incredibly valuable information, thank you. 

I hope you don't mind an incredibly dumb question. When dealing with Throttle Cables, does length matter in any way outside of aesthetics? Looking at the cables, and seeing how they function, it seems to me that outside of being too short, the most important features of the cable are how the ends connect, and how much sticks out of the sheath at each end for a tight fit. The actual length of the cable within the sheath isn't necessary for function, it is merely for looks. Is this assumption in any way correct? I hope my question makes sense. 

Morning  Zhann

Yes, too short is bad, even a little short is bad as it won't allow turning the handlebars without effecting the throttle (might revv engine as you turn).

Too long is OK as long as you can safely route it  without kinks or interfearence.

Excellent, thanks for clearing that up. I greatly appreciate your help. I will measure things out tonight, and try to find somewhere to order the parts (maybe my local dealer who knows my bike pretty well). I will update this thread with progress, and if I hit any new roadblocks I will be sure to let you know. My plan for tonight is to take out that Cruise Control module and remove its cable from the Bowden, and of course do my measurements. 

BTW, if you know anyone in need of any spare parts from my bike, let me know. I definitely don't need them. Will be listing them soon on Craigslist.

35 minutes ago, Zhann said:

Excellent, thanks for clearing that up. I greatly appreciate your help. I will measure things out tonight, and try to find somewhere to order the parts (maybe my local dealer who knows my bike pretty well). I will update this thread with progress, and if I hit any new roadblocks I will be sure to let you know. My plan for tonight is to take out that Cruise Control module and remove its cable from the Bowden, and of course do my measurements. 

BTW, if you know anyone in need of any spare parts from my bike, let me know. I definitely don't need them. Will be listing them soon on Craigslist.

Afternoon Zhann

There is a classified area at this web site.

On removing the Bowden Box, leave the cables in the box when you remove it as that will probably give you an appx overall cable length.

Also look CLOSELY at the twist grip area as you probably have both a pull-open & pull-to-close cable (2 cables) & you will be going to one cable.  

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/forum/118-classified/

Afternoon Zhann

Another thought___

If your twist grip has 2 cables, then, when you remove the cables from the twist grip pay REAL CLOSE attention to IF the twist grip has a hard stop for the idle position (roll-off position)  of the grip. (some 2 cable systems have no hard stop in the grip assembly so depend on the pull-to-close cable for the idle position stop).  

If your twist grip has no hard stop then using a single cable will be a real challenge as when you roll off the throttle there will be tons of cable slack & even the possibility of folding the cable back on itself at the connection point. (you don't want a single cable system without a grip rotational stop)

Hi Dirtrider. I have run into a little problem, I can't figure out how to remove the Throttle Handle. I can send pics if you like, but i have a feeling it is something fundamental. I have removed that weighted thing at the end, and I assumed the handle would just slide off, but nope. I pull on it gently and it seems firmly attached. Is there some trick? 

9 minutes ago, Zhann said:

Hi Dirtrider. I have run into a little problem, I can't figure out how to remove the Throttle Handle. I can send pics if you like, but i have a feeling it is something fundamental. I have removed that weighted thing at the end, and I assumed the handle would just slide off, but nope. I pull on it gently and it seems firmly attached. Is there some trick? 

Morning  Zhann

Did you remove these screws? 

1200CL.png

The two on the far left are removed, but I am not 100% on the other two. There are 2 others I removed, but I am having a hard time matching them to the image. In so, I attached 2 photos.

Thing is, when I pull on the throttle it seems stuck, so i am reluctant to give it a good pull in fear of breaking something. A friend mentioned to spray some lubricant in there, but I haven't yet.

20201016_102857.jpg

20201016_102850.jpg

9 minutes ago, Zhann said:

The two on the far left are removed, but I am not 100% on the other two. There are 2 others I removed, but I am having a hard time matching them to the image. In so, I attached 2 photos.

Thing is, when I pull on the throttle it seems stuck, so i am reluctant to give it a good pull in fear of breaking something. A friend mentioned to spray some lubricant in there, but I haven't yet.

Morning  Zhann

To get the twist grip off see if you can remove the plastic cable cover  (red arrow),  try to work it out from behind the twist grip.

To get the entire assembly off the handlebar you will have to remove pinch bolt (blue arrow).

A1A1.jpg

A2A2.jpg

Thanks, dirtrider. I tried removing the plastic cable cover, but it is pressed against the handle so I didn't try forcing it. There is a clip that is easily removed, but then it presses up against the handle so I stopped. I will try to carefully pull it out after getting it around the clip.

As for the Blue arrow, I assumed that I didn't need to remove the entire assembly so I didn't unscrew it. Or, do you think I should remove this? ... now that I am asking, seems like it couldn't hurt.

12 minutes ago, Zhann said:

Thanks, dirtrider. I tried removing the plastic cable cover, but it is pressed against the handle so I didn't try forcing it. There is a clip that is easily removed, but then it presses up against the handle so I stopped. I will try to carefully pull it out after getting it around the clip.

As for the Blue arrow, I assumed that I didn't need to remove the entire assembly so I didn't unscrew it. Or, do you think I should remove this? ... now that I am asking, seems like it couldn't hurt.

Morning  Zhann

As for the Blue arrow, I assumed that I didn't need to remove the entire assembly so I didn't unscrew it. Or, do you think I should remove this? ... now that I am asking, seems like it couldn't hurt.-- Only remove it if you absolutely have to, if you can somehow get that cover off then start with that.

3 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

As for the Blue arrow, I assumed that I didn't need to remove the entire assembly so I didn't unscrew it. Or, do you think I should remove this? ... now that I am asking, seems like it couldn't hurt.-- Only remove it if you absolutely have to, if you can somehow get that cover off then start with that.

Got it, in that case I will try and keep it on as originally planned. Thanks for that!!

GOT IT!!!! Thanks! I just pulled a little harder on that cover, jiggling it around a bit, and it came off. This is all i need, I now have full access to the throttle cable which is all I am trying to get at. 

Again, thank you so much for your help!!!

Evening   Zhann

When you get that thing apart look at the cable ends that go into the twist grip & into the throttle assembly, see if they match this picture. 

If it matches the picture below then get an approximate overall length (both pull cables & bowden box).   Then find someone that actually has this cable in stock (P/N  32731342370) & have them measure it's length  for you. 

1200CL throt.cable.JPG

• 1 year later...
MaleVirgo911
On 10/14/2020 at 7:36 AM, Zhann said:

MaleVirgo911

Hello I actually have the same exact bike your working on 2004 R1200clc and I am also about to work on the throttle cable only because mine either broke or came loose somewhere after the cable go's into the engine area I was wondering if you got any schematics full replacing that cable or repairing whatever broke lol also let me know what all your looking to get rid of off your bike I'd be very interested 

thank you 

Mike

On 7/13/2022 at 4:50 AM, MaleVirgo911 said:

Hello I actually have the same exact bike your working on 2004 R1200clc and I am also about to work on the throttle cable only because mine either broke or came loose somewhere after the cable go's into the engine area I was wondering if you got any schematics full replacing that cable or repairing whatever broke lol also let me know what all your looking to get rid of off your bike I'd be very interested 

thank you 

Mike

Morning Mike

Sorry, I missed your post here as it was after your parts posting so I didn't look back at this thread again.

If you still need help I might be able to give you a little as I do have some (not a lot) of old (paper form) 1200CLC  service bulletins & some specific service info.

Problem is, (will probably be) in EXACTLY matching your motorcycle to the info I have in my shop here. These 1200CL's have so many sub variations & differences that we need to find the service information on your exact motorcycle if possible. 

In any case, if you still need help then you first need to start your own thread (on YOUR motorcycle)  so we don't hijack Zhann's thread here. (we need to keep the motorcycles separate as these 1200CL's have so darn many variations.   

I will probably also need your complete VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) as that is about the only way that I have of finding documentation on your exact motorcycle (even then it can be iffy). 

If you still need help then send me your VIN by personal message on this site  (for security reasons do not post your VIN in this thread in the open)