IGNORED

high beams flash in the on position

TwistedTech

My 2005 1150RT presents a problem, I have not found much info on. That is saying a lot since there is literally a ton of stuff out on the net. I was getting the bike inspected and I failed due to the high beams flashing when turned on. Driving light is fine though. When I got home I was working on another problem and when I got to back to the high beam, it was working fine. I fiddled with it for a couple of days and then decided it had fixed itself (nothing ever fixes itself) I took the bike out for a neighborhood ride before going back to the inspection place and upon my return, the high beam was back to flashing. I am going to try the obvious and douse the switch with WD 40 before tearing into it. In the meantime any ideas?

18 hours ago, TwistedTech said:

My 2005 1150RT presents a problem, I have not found much info on. That is saying a lot since there is literally a ton of stuff out on the net. I was getting the bike inspected and I failed due to the high beams flashing when turned on. Driving light is fine though. When I got home I was working on another problem and when I got to back to the high beam, it was working fine. I fiddled with it for a couple of days and then decided it had fixed itself (nothing ever fixes itself) I took the bike out for a neighborhood ride before going back to the inspection place and upon my return, the high beam was back to flashing. I am going to try the obvious and douse the switch with WD 40 before tearing into it. In the meantime any ideas?

Afternoon  TwistedTech

It sounds like you might have a headlight modulator (flasher) on that motorcycle. 

Those are usually set up to to flash the high beam headlight during the daylight & automatically come on continuous after dark.  (most don't actually flash it completely on & off but more like 20% on & 80% off).

You might put the motorcycle in a dark place (or try at night) then see if the headlight is on steady, then put it out in the sun & see if the headlight starts flashing (modulating).

If it works that way then try to find the light sensor, probably on top of dash (or in that area anyhow). If you can find the light sensor then just tape over it with black tape.  That should keep the light on steady & allow you to pass your inspection. 

In some states headlight modulators are legal & in other states they are not.  (if legal in your state then your inspector might have been wrong calling you out on it).  

If you DO have a headlight modulator then you might also try switching the high beam on then back off in less than 1 second as some modulator kits use that input to keep the headlight on constant.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

n some states headlight modulators are legal & in other states they are not.  (if legal in your state then your inspector might have been wrong calling you out on it). 

No, no.   Headlight modulators are covered by a federal motor vehicle standard. They are legal in all 50 states and can’t be limited by any state regulations. The modulator must meet the requirements of the federal standard. The commercial units are made to meet them. 

I do agree with DR, it sure sounds like you have a modulator hooked up there. Is the bike relatively new to you?

• Thanks 1

I don't know if illegal or not.  I ran one for 8 years in CA and 2 years in Tx.  I saw plenty of Leo's and never once had an issue.  This quote is from Wiki so take it for whats it worth.  I like them.  When in heavy traffic I always turned mine on.  People notice it.  Wish I had one now.  I googled it and I see there are several mfg's that make them....hmmm I wonder if it would work with todays canbus.

Laws about Headlamp Modulators[edit]

North America[edit]

In the United States, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108, which regulates all automotive lighting devices and systems, permits motorcycle headlamp modulation systems provided they comply with the performance, operation, and durability requirements contained therein[4] Canada's analogous regulation, Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108, likewise permits headlamp modulators that meet the same technical requirements as those in force in the USA

United States and Canadian regulations require headlight modulators to include a light sensor that disables modulation when the ambient light level drops below a certain point. When this happens, the headlamps burn steadily.

A high beam modulator normally works in daylight, but doesn't work at night. Look around for a light sensor of some sort. You can cover the sensor to get it inspected, then leave it covered or remove it as you see fit.

9 hours ago, TwistedTech said:

I was getting the bike inspected and I failed due to the high beams flashing when turned on. Driving light is fine though.

Twisted Tech - are you based in the USA, Canada?   I've never had an instance of an inspection station not aware that headlight modulators were legal.  Yes, if you have a modulator, there should be a light sensor. If you cover it the light should work like normal.

Once more, is this bike new to you?

• 3 weeks later...

That is good info, the bike is new to me, thanks Michaelr11 I have been taking the bike to a Harley shop, its hard to find a bike inspector in Corpus Christi. Obviously spraying some electrical cleaner in the switch housing did not work. I have the manual and I will try to identify the sensor. It makes sense cause when its in the garage it seems to flash a couple of times then stays steady on. I have not used it at night so I will need to verify that the lights stay on. Seems that when I check it in the morning before going to an inspection the lights stay on and by the time I get to the shop the lights are flashing.  I will check on this tonight thanks all

40 minutes ago, TwistedTech said:

I have the manual and I will try to identify the sensor. It makes sense cause when its in the garage it seems to flash a couple of times then stays steady on. I have not used it at night so I will need to verify that the lights stay on. Seems that when I check it in the morning before going to an inspection the lights stay on and by the time I get to the shop the lights are flashing.  I will check on this tonight thanks all

Evening 

Your manual won't show you that light sensor as it isn't a factory item (headlight modulators are aftermarket items).

In any case, when the headlight is flashing have you tried--   Switching the high beam ON  then quickly back OFF again in less than 1 second as some modulator kits use that input to force the headlight to stay on constant. (usually works until next key-on restart)

1 hour ago, TwistedTech said:

I will try to identify the sensor.

I had to zoom in to crop this, but this is what the ambient light sensor looks like - my device is a PathBlazer from Kisan Technologies.  The outer portion is a metal bezel, the center is a glass lens.  The one on yours might be embedded into a piece of body work with only the upper part visible.  It has to be in an area that is exposed to the daylight.  What you described is typical start up for these (mine anyway). When I flip to high beam, the light is steady high beam for a moment, then it flashes quickly and then it either starts modulating (when I'm outside) or stays steady high beam.

I added a second photo. This on my R100 dash, with the sensor embedded into the dash and just the top of the bezel and the sensor glass showing. 

If you can find the sensor, just put a piece of tape over it with a piece of paper to protect the lens from adhesive. That should make the sensor think it's dark outside and keep the high beam on all the time.

You may find this page helpful.  Perhaps if you bring it in with you the inspector will pass the bike.

https://kisantech.com/regulations.html

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Michael you were right , the manual does not cover the sensor and looking at your picture, I immediately recognize it. Yes I have that!! LOL I was wondering what it was, I thought it might be a sensor for the radio. I traced it back to under the fairing the first time I took off the tupperware. (last month) I was actually trying to find out why the radio was not working and found a remote for it. That is awsome I will go out out right now and see what shinning a light and covering it will do.

You were right I have a "path blazer" modulator. I could not get it to disable by quick switching. But now I know and knowing is half the battle (GI Joe) wow I am glad I posed the question.  BTW the bike has an intercomm system and it was unraveling at the handle bar where it was being held together with tie wraps, I was taking that stuff when I noticed the sensor. Just cleaning up some messy installs. The radio is interesting, it seems to work but i get no sound, and when I turn it off, it does a beep and I can hear thru the speakers. Its no big deal I removed the cd changer in the trunk and that made more room. 

That was a great response thanks

57 minutes ago, TwistedTech said:

You were right I have a "path blazer" modulator.

Glad you found it. You can probably get a manual from the Kisan Tech website, and if not ask questions.

Some folks really don’t like headlight modulation, I’m not one of them. I have them in all three of my bikes. You should always pay attention and always ride like the cars are trying to kill you. But I consistently experience cars that stop in driveways and at stop signs where I would normally expect them to enter the road or intersection. I do occasionally get a high beam flash from oncoming cars, but a lot of drivers don’t know what these are and think my headlight is malfunctioning. Headlight modulators work.

• Like 1

I agree whole heartedly with Michaelr11.  I have modulators (mostly Kisan) on my bikes.  Cage drivers with their noses in their cell phones seem to respond to them quicker while perambulating.  If I'm not the leader of a group it's ease to turn off, as Dirtrider pointed out, with a quick double flick.  

6 hours ago, Lowndes said:

I agree whole heartedly with Michaelr11.  I have modulators (mostly Kisan) on my bikes.  Cage drivers with their noses in their cell phones seem to respond to them quicker while perambulating.  If I'm not the leader of a group it's ease to turn off, as Dirtrider pointed out, with a quick double flick.  

"it's easy to turn off, as Dirtrider pointed out, with a quick double flick. "    Unless you've done some different configuration, turning it off is just a switch to low-beam.  Most headlight modulators  flash the high-beam only as long as the ambient light sensor says it is still light enough. The low-beam is usually not modulated.

Michaelr11,

Correct.  My K1200RS has a Kisan Pathblazer on the headlight that only modulates the HI beam, but the Kisan Pathblazer on the ST1300 modulates HI and LO.  I didn't install either so don't know how they are wired in but would guess it's in the install or possibly the intrinsic wiring that some Hondas have.  With 27 fasteners and 4 different types on each side panel of the ST I'm not inclined to a looksee.  Really makes one appreciate the BMW's designers.

I never knew they existed, I am in South Texas and it doesnt take much to get out of the city, So I have never seen them. I think when folks see them they would probably think I am an emergency vehicle. LOL But bottom line, now that I  know that I have them, I will definitely use them.

11 minutes ago, TwistedTech said:

think when folks see them they would probably think I am an emergency vehicle. LOL But bottom line, now that I  know that I have them, I will definitely use them.

I have PathBlazers on all of my bikes. I use them every ride.  I would guess that about 10 times a year somebody pulls over to let me pass. Don’t like to stereotype people, but they are usually older drivers.  Almost every ride, I will see a car’s nose dip when the driver brakes harder because they see me approaching. This often happens even when they were far enough ahead of me that I was expecting them to pull out, but they don’t.

I've had it happen while riding in a group and we get behind a slow car/truck that won't let us pass on a twisty road; I'll be summoned to the front to turn on my modulator.  That usually gets the desired response in a mile or so and I can go back in line.

They work.

• Haha 1