IGNORED

Old rider, new to me 1200RT

sbeec

Hello - long time rider with a new to me 2018 1200RT with 5k on the odo.  I'm putting away my 2003 ST1300 finally.  Really looking forward to the RT for the next 15years of retirement riding.  couldn't find a new member section so just posted here with my bike type.

During my purchase research I've seen posts about problems with ECU and going into limp mode.

Is there already a saved post with known problems with the wet head engines or platforms.  

What should I look out for or expect?  

What is preventive repairs to do be proactive with weak areas of the bike?

ect, ect

Any thing you can help me know up fromt is appreciated!!

Rich

E4F242B2-AA82-4ECC-ABB8-D2C98D3758A3.jpeg

• Like 2

No worries.    Welcome to the board.   Nice looking bike, I must say.   You have the fastest  color. 

I am new to the RT as of a year or so ago,  but as far as knowledge, the forum has plenty of that to help you along.  You can scroll through the Wethead forums for anything that may involve your RT, which includes tupperware and its numerous fastening hardware.   There are a few tips about meticulous removal and replacement to keep up with which screw goes where.  For some reason, I always find extras upon reassembly - there are always extras.  :dontknow:

Cheers,

51 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

You can scroll through the Wethead forums for anything that may involve your RT, which includes tupperware and its numerous fastening hardware.   There are a few tips about meticulous removal and replacement to keep up with which screw goes where.  For some reason, I always find extras upon reassembly - there are always extras.  :dontknow:

Cheers,

EXTRAS…EXTRAS…You want EXTRAS!

I do WetHead Tech days on lots of strangers bikes that constantly have missing screws or screws in the wrong places.

I finally found a way to have EXTRAS…

I bought a complete set of bolts and screws from a bike teardown and salvage company on eBay…"my baggies of screws runneth over"i-DjS79K2-M.jpg

Oh, BTW….welcome to the RT forum!

Boxflyer

• Like 5

Welcome to the board. 

Moving from a ST1300 to a Wethead should be hugely rewarding as this iteration of the boxer will capture all that you liked about your ST and elevate above it in many other categories.  I wouldn't worry too much about problems posted on the internet with this vintage boxer as in the overall the Wethead has been very problem/glitch free since introduction (rear shock recall on the 2014 aside).  People will take time to post an issue on line, while the majority of problem free Waterheads just get ridden and nary a about it is said on line (well maybe you will see those post here).   IMO having ridden a '71, '99 and now a '15 boxer motor BMW I can say I very much felt the lineage connection between the '71 and '99, but the '15 Waterhead is a animal unto itself and is just better in every way.   Oh and i'm a little jealous about the color, wish it was available when I bought my 2015.

Welcome....As Paul  De said...not much to report on the wet heads.  The original shock issue in 2014.  BMW took care of that.  Some have a small drip from the water pump, but that seems to be a small number and a small drip.  To see if you have the drip look underneath the engine on the left hand side.The weep hole is there.  You might see a little green.  If so you might have the drip.  It isn't a big deal.  I know of one reported outage of an alternator, there is probably a few more around.  The alternator change is a big deal as the engine has to come out.  As far as I know that's it on problems I've seen more than once.

The new 2020's have a front brake caliper leaking issue which is being worked on but a solution hasn't come forward as far as I know.  

The board is usually about bikes and wrenching but with election season upon us all we have strayed (including me).  Normally that stuff isn't around.

4 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Welcome....As Paul  De said...not much to report on the wet heads.  The original shock issue in 2014.  BMW took care of that.  Some have a small drip from the water pump, but that seems to be a small number and a small drip.  To see if you have the drip look underneath the engine on the left hand side.The weep hole is there.  You might see a little green.  If so you might have the drip.  It isn't a big deal.  I know of one reported outage of an alternator, there is probably a few more around.  The alternator change is a big deal as the engine has to come out.  As far as I know that's it on problems I've seen more than once.

The new 2020's have a front brake caliper leaking issue which is being worked on but a solution hasn't come forward as far as I know.  

The board is usually about bikes and wrenching but with election season upon us all we have strayed (including me).  Normally that stuff isn't around.

Paul De and sky wagon.....et ALL....  thanks for the welcome and all replies....I'm feeling better about it all the time.   And I like the marron/red....it is faster!!

• Like 1

Now red is typically the fastest color I will agree. But ya gots to remember that the police know that too, and If we’re talking fast, as in Boston to Miami fast, the Quartz Blue Metallic will get you there much much quicker. ;) :grin:

2EC0D1B8-1C37-419B-A171-68ADAAE3EFE1.jpeg

If Mars Red was available at the time, I’m pretty sure that would have been my choice. :thumbsup: The Quartz Blue Metallic was a One Hit Wonder for 2014 only. :spittake:

• Like 1

Congratulations on your nice-looking 1200.  I also came from an ST 1300, a nicely engineered precision machine I rode for 11 years. 

I appreciate the RT 1200 for its lighter weight and tech features.  Mostly, though, it's simply a hoot to ride.  Have fun in your new moto-life

15 hours ago, BendBill said:

Congratulations on your nice-looking 1200.  I also came from an ST 1300, a nicely engineered precision machine I rode for 11 years. 

I appreciate the RT 1200 for its lighter weight and tech features.  Mostly, though, it's simply a hoot to ride.  Have fun in your new moto-life

Thanks Bill - yes.....and, I will not miss the top heaviness of the ST also.

On 10/12/2020 at 1:03 AM, BendBill said:

Mostly, though, it's simply a hoot to ride.

This!

Last weekend I gave my full trust over to the machine. Having just rounded a right hand turn at an intersection I decided to just ham fist the throttle knowing that the rear tire was going to want to break loose and get sideways.  The rear tire started to break loose and step out when mr computer dialed it back but my hard throttle resolve had the tire again wanting to step out again and the computer again tamed the wheel spin.  The result was a slight rear tire step out and a tiny waggle with me rocketing off down the road with the front wheel becoming very light....Big grin and giggle!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the RT world sbeec. My 2018 is my fourth RT and my sixth BMW since 1971 (I'm an old guy). This 2018 is the same as yours right down to the paint. Everything I added is for convenience and safety so I thought I would share a list of what I installed.

Ilium Front and Rear Engine guards. They fit well and are a fine quality product. Cheap insurance to protect an expensive investment.

Ilium Highway Pegs. The RT gas tank bulges out so you end up bowlegged and most highway pegs do not work for my physique on the RT. However, the Ilium's work relatively well and I can ride comfortably and longer than with other brands. With my old, tired knees, , just having a way to stretch the knee on a ride is great.

Ilium kickstand extender. This little device works great and provides increased stability on a variety of surfaces. It is a good fit.

Air Hawk Saddle R Cruiser. Many complain about the BMW seats and replace them. I never had a problem with them, even after six 500 mile days to Alaska. I was using a product called Alaska Leather on my previous bike and liked it. The Air Hawk works well on this model. My last three RT's all canted me too far forward on saddle putting unnecessary pressure on my crotch. I found various ways to lift the front of the saddle and there are threads about this on the forum. I'm going to try a 1 inch wooden dowel to replace the rubber bumpers and see how that works out.

MachineArt Moto Avant Front Fender Extender. It keeps the front engine and frame less caked with mud and  road crap.

Quiet Ride Windshield, I was a big fan of the Cee Bailey but they are no longer making motorcycle windshields. My 1200RT came with a smaller windshield which was not comfortable for my riding needs. I put on the normal sized windshield they recommended from Quiet Ride and I'm very pleased with it.

I'm running Denali 4 lights on the engine guards and they light up the bike day and night. I transferred these from my 2012 and believe that having them on all the time has been a deterrent to cars doing dumb stuff like switching to my lane or pulling out from intersections and such. They see these big time lights.

Added an Admore Rear LED Bar which fits great on rear fender. My riding buddy ways that they a really show up when turning or braking.

I put a Ram Mount on my handlebar next the throttle and below the brake reservoir and a ram plate and elastic band for my Garmin GPS. I can transfer the GPS from my car to the bike which works out well. It plugs into the power outlet on the right side of the fairing.

Tech Spec Tank Traction Grips are nice on the corners and the center strip protects the tank from jacket and zipper wear.

Givi V47 Monokey Top Case. I like their product. You would need the GIVI SRA 5113 Aluminum Top Case Rack to install it.

Motoreflective decals for side and top bags. Fine quality product and added safety feature. 

My dealer had a barrel of foam handle bar grips that fit over the stock grips. Much more comfortable for me.

I like tank bags but the handlebar control configuration on the RT calls for careful shopping as you don't want to trigger buttons when turning handlebars or create turning radius interference. I ended up with a smaller tank bag than I am used to but it works just fine. SW-Motech EVO City Bag with a Quick Lock EVO Tank Ring. Easy on and off for filling tank and stable mount.

I have Kathy's saddle bag luggage bags from an older model that work fine for these saddle bags. Makes it easy when stopping for the night in a motel.

ROK seat straps have come in hand for duffle bag when I'm camping. 

Plastic Headlight protector. I would not want to replace my expensive headlight lens. 

There is no end to the FARKLES we can add. We all have our preferences and needs. I like what I have added but as my father used to say, "to each their own."

Hope you enjoy your new ride.

MichiganBob

• 2 weeks later...