IGNORED

Packing it in!?

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

Today may have been our last ride on my 1200 GS LC...... am contemplating leaving my pride for what it is and get a (slightly)  lighter and cheaper motor. The 1200GS has been in the garage for way too long and maybe a lighter steed will see more riding. 

Here's the story :

Back in 2012 I 'mis-stepped' somehow on jumping down some stairs in the Berlin subway, and ever since I have had pain in my hip. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Then with my motorcycle fall in the US in 2016 that same leg took a further blow, both the hip, and also the shin. It stopped me from riding for about half a year. 

In January we had our house 'issue' in Italy and until we moved in July, I could not ride the RT and the GS. 

With the move I sold both bikes..... and until September I was bikeless. Just after buying the new 1200GS LC the weather turned sour, and I didn't put many miles on. 

2 months ago a period of sciatus pains prevented me from getting my leg over the saddle. 

And from early 2018 both Nina and I had periods of physical problems, plus lots of work restructuring the new home. 

Today we write October 2020, and after 9 months of Corona shit, we now have 4000 km's on that bike (and 80.000 on the cars). 

So somehow, in hindsight, I think I maybe should not have bought it. We planned on motortours like we used to do.... To the Alps, the Dolomites, Sardinia.... but they did not happen..... and will not now. 

So, depending on what the dealer will be willing to offer, I am thinking of getting an F850 GS to replace the beast.... 

Thoughts, anyone? 

20201010_162150.jpg

20201010_134037.jpg

20201010_134014.jpg

Edited by Francois_Dumas
Typos

Honestly an F850 GS is not going to be that much easier to handle. Seems like your Moto passion may be slipping a bit and you’re struggling with that. 

I’d take some time thinking on a trade, maybe something different (safer) (three wheels) might ignite the open air travel bug again. :dontknow:

JMO which is worth about 2 pennies in today’s market. They could make nice catchphrase out of that. :grin:

I disagree. I took a trip last summer with a pair who were riding 1200 and 800 GSs, which gave me the opportunity to ride them back to back in various circumstances. I liked the 1200 much better, but the 800 certainly felt lighter and was much easier to move around parking lots and such. The seat height is not, however, lower on the smaller bike, which I think is a surprise to most. 

In almost all instances the 800 kept up just fine with the 1200 and my Ducati ST and R1100S - the only time we could leave the 800 behind was on wide open roads. Of course we were always one up - but I think for tours where you could travel light and weren’t going to be on the slab for hundreds of miles a day it could work great two up. 

Francois....I hope you find the right solution for you and the wife.  Man you have been through a lot. I know someday I'll have an issue similar to you  (knees) where I can no longer mount the horse.  Without a moment of hesitation I will buy a scooter, vanderhaul, BMW Taurus, CanAM, or something that gives me motorcycle outdoors feel without limitations.

Good luck in your search...

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your tribulations and current situation.  Take a look at the KTM 790.  It was bike of the year last year and is lighter than even the BMW middleweights.  A friend recently downsized to one of these from the KTM 1290 super adventure, and he reports that it is way way lighter and about 20% more flickable, while still giving a larger bike stable ride.

Francois_Dumas

Looked at some other brands, including the KTM 790..... I don't know..... It doesn't help that SWAMBO says, 'Sell the GS first..... and THEN think about riding and getting another one'. 

Grrrrrrr...... 

I'd get an Ural with 2-wheel drive and sidecar if I had my way 😂😂😂

• Like 1
Francois_Dumas
7 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

:cool: Edit...Went back and reread what you were looking to do, cheaper doesn’t apply here. :(
ZAATBNHQUVHG3MDGLNJDZX5EG4.jpg

LOL, nope. I figured a new F850 would be about the same as I would get for my GS, so budget neutral. Don't like buying used, not ready for a scooter 😁

• Like 1

I would suggest you get a low suspension version of whatever bike you settle on. I would also have a look at the F900XR if I were you, but I do think you will miss the boxer motor if you move to a parallel twin. Good luck and best wishes!

Francois_Dumas
59 minutes ago, AZgman said:

I would suggest you get a low suspension version of whatever bike you settle on. I would also have a look at the F900XR if I were you, but I do think you will miss the boxer motor if you move to a parallel twin. Good luck and best wishes!

Remember, I may be shrinking, but for now I am stil 6 ft 1 tall..... Afraid the hip angle gets worse on a lowered bike? 

I may miss the boxer, but I miss riding it now too 😢. Should be simple, get on and ride off..... but somehow it isn't. Wished my mind would have more confidence in my body 🤔

On 10/11/2020 at 11:10 AM, roadscholar said:

E93DAC53-E8A7-472F-B2F4-910218638214.thumb.jpeg.315fd50ab69026dde15a28215ea362f7.jpeg

Exactly what I'm thinking about when I can no longer ride.  My heart breaks for Francois.  Ever since I joined this forum, I've enjoyed his riding articles.  

• Like 3

It happens sooner or later, I was lucky in that I knew what I’d revert to when it did. Couple sports cars and a Jeep suffice nicely.

Doesn’t need to be fast at least for me, just something well engineered you can push safely near its limits, which in today’s cars is pretty high. Obviously different than a bike because you’re not leaning but it’s still about the curves and lateral g’s and gettin the endorphins working. With the top down it’s actually more open air than a motorcycle. A few weeks ago we drove the BMW from NC back to Florida with the top down, so nice..

• Like 4

I think I’m one last new bike purchase away from making this decision. :dontknow: Been known to lie about this in the past though. :spittake:

• Haha 1
Francois_Dumas

Never despair. I am not ready to run on 3 or 4 wheels only, so I am either going to keep the GS or trade it for something slightly smaller. My last long ride was back in 2016 when bringing my 1150 RT from our Dutch home to our Italian digs. Little over 1000 miles in 3 days. I know that THAT is not going to happen anymore. But all the rest is still unclear. 

Thank you all for your comments! 

3 hours ago, Francois_Dumas said:

You are correct. It is a large question mark..... 

Go ride an 850 it’s the only way to know. I got an 800 when they came out and really liked it but it’s different than a 1200 and served a different purpose. It was mainly a big dualsport and was great, a traveling dirt bike. 

Im sure the new one is more refined than its predecessors but so is the 1200, should be great in your environment for day rides and probably multi-day depending on the setup. Also its noticeably lighter than a boxer with plenty of two-up power on hand.

• Thanks 1

Each of us, if we’re fortunate enough to live long enough, faces these questions. Personally, I’ve got a knee or two that give me fits with the somewhat acute angle of my RT. I’m considering a GS for this reason, but I’ve also considered a rip-roaring minimalist car, like a Caterham.

If I were dealing with your particular maladies, I’d ask whether a slightly smaller motorcycle would actually address the situation. It sounds as if you might still face the same discomfort in mounting a smaller two wheeler, but that’s a question only you can answer. The 850 is a nice bike, but maybe you’d get more enjoyment out of a three wheeler, like the Can-Am Spyder. Low seating and not having to deal with balancing the thing when getting on and off of it might be the answer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sell it. Bank the money.

In 6 months ask yourself why you should buy a mc.

What type of riding? 

Solo, Pillion, Day, Trips?

Is it the ride, roads, destination?

Or, can you get places, take pics, enjoy repast, in relative comfort, without ATGATT?

As mentioned, changing bikes probably not going to fix things related to health.

So, .02.

Try bikeless You may find it's ok.

Best wishes.

• Thanks 1

There's a lot of good feedback here and great points. My wife became friends with a guy at her job that as it turns out, used to be active on this forum.  Shortly after we got to know him and his wife, he sold his GS and no longer rides.  Mostly because of family issues and his role in the family. (long story) Nonetheless, it has given me a number of reflection points about both what would happen to my family if, and if my health does _____.

Currently, when I take out of the driveway I say a prayer for a safe return. Right now I am more concerned about the other drivers than I am about me but a time will come when that reverses so I understand the issues.  I like tallman's suggestion simply because fall and winter are coming and I don't know where you live Francois. But most people don't have the weather to ride in the fall and winter so think about tallman's view, or even wait until spring to sell and reflect.

Francois_Dumas

Thanks Sonor. I put the issue to rest for a few weeks, having some bad weather currently and the olive harvest is nigh. 

But we now live in Central Italy and being able to ride through most of winter was one of the reasons to move here from northern Europe. 

Contemplating all the reactions, my physical prognosis and financial options..... I still LOVE to ride (and drive), but need to be able to do so without distracting worries of any kind (f****g Covid included). 

• Like 1

I wish you the best of luck. For me, I would have to at least try a smaller bike to see if that would extend my riding time for a few more years. So many good bikes out there. The Royal Enfield Himilaya has some appeal, small, light, CHEAP, protected from tip over damage, powerful enough to tackle most situations. Not sure about two up for any distance though.

You live in one of the best areas in the world for riding, I hope you get to do it for quite a while longer.

• Like 1