IGNORED

Lithium ion battery

Dave P

Don't know why it never occurred to me, but I learned that there are Lithium Ion batteries for motorcycles. I'm not really in the market right now for a new battery, but what are the advantages of switching over from my AGM battery to a LI? Looks like they are kinda pricey (like twice the price of an AGM), but probably smaller and lighter weight. My only real experience with LI packs is with my cordless drill, and that sucker goes and goes! Doesn't have the slow gradual voltage drop that the old cordless drills used to have. 

My application would be on an R1100RT, non police. I remove the battery every winter and keep it in my heated basement, charging every couple of weeks or so. I wonder if the ABS system might like a LI battery better. Dave

The ‘12 GS I picked up early this year has one - it’s a few years old now, one of the big name brands, and seems to be working great. Haven’t had the bike on a charger at all and never a problem starting up even after sitting a week or two. The thing is about half the volume of the stock battery and so light it feels like a prop when you pick it up, like it’s just a plastic case. 

If you do go with one, and you use a charger, be sure to get one that works with lithium batteries. 

2 hours ago, Dave P said:

Don't know why it never occurred to me, but I learned that there are Lithium Ion batteries for motorcycles. I'm not really in the market right now for a new battery, but what are the advantages of switching over from my AGM battery to a LI? Looks like they are kinda pricey (like twice the price of an AGM), but probably smaller and lighter weight. My only real experience with LI packs is with my cordless drill, and that sucker goes and goes! Doesn't have the slow gradual voltage drop that the old cordless drills used to have. 

My application would be on an R1100RT, non police. I remove the battery every winter and keep it in my heated basement, charging every couple of weeks or so. I wonder if the ABS system might like a LI battery better. Dave

Afternoon Dave

On your  1100 with an ABS system that is "voltage critical", during engine cranking,  a Lithium Ion battery might not be a great choice if you live in a cold climate as those type (Lithium Ion) are lacking in cranking power at colder temperatures. They seem to work OK at normal riding temps but get them down in the 30°f or lower & they crank slowly.

In the cold you can turn the headlight on for a couple of minutes to slightly warm the battery before starting (at least that usually allows engine starting) but you might still go below the ABS low-voltage threshold during cold cranking.  

I switched to one since BMW bikes seem to have parasitic draws so in reality it didn't help with that.  The lithium batteries have a few advantages such as double the cold cranking amps, a third the weight, half the size,  can be mounted in any position(no upside down), much longer cycle life and they don't drain as lead acid batteries do if left unconnected.

The disadvantages are that they may have to be woken up in cold weather (by turning the lights on or something like that), you need a special battery charger and are double to triple the cost.

Well- I doubt that I would ever start her up in under 30 degree temps. By about the beginning of November here in Central NY, she's bedded down for the long cold salted road winter. I'll take a look at my Battery Tender mini, see what it says about LI batteries.

The weight savings would be nice, not critical. If I get 5 years out of an AGM, I wonder what kind of lifespan I would get with a $250 LI battery.... D

I needed to replace my battery last year and did some research on the differences between the stock AGM and the new lithium batteries.

Weight

The lithium batteries are lighter in weight - almost 10lbs lighter than comparable AGM battery 

On a R1200RT, a 10lb weight difference amounts to a 1.5% change

Cost

The lithium batteries seem to run $60-$100 more than an AGM battery 

Performance

In regards to the ability to hold a charge, the lithium batteries are superior (with no parasitic draw)

The lithium batteries seem to have outstanding CCA numbers in temperatures above 40 degrees (F) but drop significantly at lower temps

I will typically ride throughout the year and the cold weather attributes do not really work for me.  AGM style batteries still really work best for my use.

Another issue LI batteries have is that they don't like much variation in charging voltage.  In newer bikes, you can probably get away with one.  But in an old motorcycle where the lead/acid battery was used as a voltage spike damper, and LI battery might decide to 'volcano' on you.  If you want to use one, make sure your charging system is in good shape. 

I had a Li-ion battery in my Honda ST1300.  5 years and never a problem despite 4-months in garage every winter.  Never on battery tender.  When time comes to replace battery on my 2018 RT, I'll look into them again