IGNORED

Rough running 2003 1100s - after work done (video #1)

oilhead1100s1150rt

oilhead1100s1150rt

Good Day, 

Please take a listen to the attached videos (listen). I have done work in the gas tank...fuel filter replacement, fuel lines, new quick connects. I may have not gotten all the old fuel out at the time of the work. If there was any left in the tank, it sat for over a year. After putting everything back together, the right side plug fouled (rich). I have replaced both plugs and added a small amount of fresher gas. There is improvement, but still not running the best.

Video #1 = a loud thump is heard

Video #2 ( second post - due to size)  = I hear a chirp...sounds like the injector making the noise? 

Appreciate any feedback.

Dave

11 minutes ago, oilhead1100s1150rt said:

Good Day, 

Please take a listen to the attached videos (listen). I have done work in the gas tank...fuel filter replacement, fuel lines, new quick connects. I may have not gotten all the old fuel out at the time of the work. If there was any left in the tank, it sat for over a year. After putting everything back together, the right side plug fouled (rich). I have replaced both plugs and added a small amount of fresher gas. There is improvement, but still not running the best.

Video #1 = a loud thump is heard

Video #2 ( second post - due to size)  = I hear a chirp...sounds like the injector making the noise? 

Appreciate any feedback.

Dave

IMG_1579.MOV 9.17 MB · 0 downloads  

Afternoon Dave 

Yes, it doesn't sound great but the video is limited & too short to tell you much over the internet.

What does it sound like when you revv it a little?  

Does  it have good power when you try to ride it? 

After about 10 seconds after a cold start  shut it off & see if both front exhaust pipes are about the same temperature????????

I’m no help, but I did notice in this video,

at the same time as the thump, a large amount of dust is knocked loose from the intake tube - almost like the butterfly valve or something like that, was slapping shut/open suddenly. 

oilhead1100s1150rt

rightsidechirp.m4a

Not sure this helps any. This is a voice memo file. If you are on an apple, just drag to your desk top and listen, or download. 

21 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Dave 

Yes, it doesn't sound great but the video is limited & too short to tell you much over the internet.

What does it sound like when you revv it a little?  

If you can open the m4a file, it is in there. If not, I believe it sounds rather healthy. Some breaking up when constant rpm. 

Does  it have good power when you try to ride it? 

I have not put everything back on for a road test just yet. Will do so latter on.

After about 10 seconds after a cold start  shut it off & see if both front exhaust pipes are about the same temperature????????

Yes, both pipes read approx 140 - 160F after the start up. 

5 minutes ago, oilhead1100s1150rt said:

rightsidechirp.m4a 340.29 kB · 2 downloads

Not sure this helps any. This is a voice memo file. If you are on an apple, just drag to your desk top and listen, or download. 

Afternoon Dave 

That helps a little, you have a definite misfire on one side (probably the right side). Problem is the audio gives us no clue on what is causing it.

Sounds sort of like it is firing on a partially open intake valve, but again, nothing pointing us to the why or what that is causing it.

Might just be a fuel injector that isn't squirting correctly, or a spark problem, of even a valve that isn't sealing correctly. 

Lots you can do by digging (much) deeper, is that something that you want to tackle?

oilhead1100s1150rt

I got away with an easy fix. I missed it the first time through. The fast idle "bmw choke" cable was tighter then it should have been. I adjusted it accordingly and she is running just fine. I never heard such a noise before, still not sure what it was, but gone now. Thanks for the quick responses !!

Dave

IMG_1586.jpg