IGNORED

Mileage/Spark Plug Condition

Ladioviro

Just wondering what's the expected MPG/KPG, roughly, for a '99 R1100R with around 100,000 on the clock? 

I felt like I got a lot more before the bike was parked up for 6 months. Can the injectors get dirty? I have some cleaner in the current tank, and I have new sparks ordered. The condition of them looked a little rough, and the threads were black. I'll attach a pic of the left one. (only one side with wear?)

I could've sworn that I got 300k + from a tank last year, but now I'm only getting around 230, or 80/85 KPG. 

Any thoughts/previous experience? Thanks

IMG_3916.jpeg

IMG_3918.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Ladioviro said:

Just wondering what's the expected MPG/KPG, roughly, for a '99 R1100R with around 100,000 on the clock? 

I felt like I got a lot more before the bike was parked up for 6 months. Can the injectors get dirty? I have some cleaner in the current tank, and I have new sparks ordered. The condition of them looked a little rough, and the threads were black. I'll attach a pic of the left one. (only one side with wear?)

I could've sworn that I got 300k + from a tank last year, but now I'm only getting around 230, or 80/85 KPG. 

Any thoughts/previous experience? Thanks

Afternoon Ladioviro

Spark plugs look good (normal), left one is usually always darker as that is the low side with bike on side stand so more oil residue into the combustion chamber on that side while parked. 

The ONLY way to get a good true spark plug reading is right after a long high speed run with NO engine idling afterwards. Just one cold start without a high speed run afterwards  can taint the plug color  & give you a false reading. 

Get some fresh fuel in (and through) that motorcycle THEN do a fuel mileage test.  Old fuel in the tank mixed with newer fuel can fool you on true mileage. 

How much engine idling have you been doing? You get 0 miles per gallon with the engine idling. So the more engine running but not moving then the lower your MPG.

1 minute ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Ladioviro

Spark plugs look good (normal), left one is usually always darker as that is the low side with bike on side stand so more oil residue into the combustion chamber on that side while parked. 

Get some fresh fuel in (and through) that motorcycle THEN do a fuel mileage test.  Old fuel in the tank mixed with newer fuel can fool you on true mileage. 

How much engine idling have you been doing? You get 0 miles per gallon with the engine idling. So the more engine running but not moving then the lower your MPG.

Good to know, thanks. 

I guess I last clocked it on a good long journey, but now i'm just doing 20 minutes to work, and idling through the traffic, so maybe I'll check it on a long trip. 

Been through four or five full tanks now, and running it down. I think the exhaust smells a bit like fuel when I start it, so I was checking the plugs for that, and wondering was it losing fuel through the engine somehow. Piston rings or otherwise. Maybe it's just the new town-riding though. 

Thanks Dirtrider

Just FYI: My 2001 R1100RT has ~107,000. It bike runs and idles smoothly. I typically ride 60-100 mile rides 2-4 times a week. Not much idling on my rides. I typically get 42-44 mpg. 

Best

Miguel