West_Coaster

I am looking for an intercom system, I have a few requirements:

• Need to talk to passenger
  • need to talk to buddy and his wife on a second bike
  • Want to listen to MY music on Android phone
  • Want to be able to take/make calls on my android phone
  • Want to be able to use Google Maps and hear directions on my android phone
  • Want my passenger to be able to listen to music on HER android phone
  • Want to be able to have private conversation with my passenger, but still hear from other bike if there is a hazard etc. (This one is not that important).

I have been reading endless threads here, on ADV and MOA.

Seems that mesh would be good for me as I'm not a fan of limited Bluetooth range and the quiet seemless connection would be good. The rest of my mini herd are not tech savvy and I don't want to spend a day fiddling with everyone's setup. Plus once things don't work well, they will all bail on the intercom, so it has to work well. 

Based on that I'm down to the Sena 50 and Cardo packtalk bold. 

Seems like there are 2 camps, each say their system is best and the other has poor support or is buggy.

Being this is my first go round with a motorcycle intercom, I will have to learn from scratch either system. I like to learn, but have CRS (Cant remember shit) sometimes so I want it to be non-complicated. 

I'm leaning to Cardo at the moment, seems to have less negativity and I like the voice commands. 

Convince me......

Both units are close in specs and capabilities. What brand are your friends using? Much easier to pair multiple units of the same manufacturer. I was down to the same two models and have decided to go with the Sena 50s as our group are all Sena users. Good luck!

West_Coaster
1 hour ago, sgoat51 said:

Both units are close in specs and capabilities. What brand are your friends using? Much easier to pair multiple units of the same manufacturer. I was down to the same two models and have decided to go with the Sena 50s as our group are all Sena users. Good luck!

So far I only have one friend that I ride with and neither of us have an intercom.

I'm more of the tech guy and he'll buy what I do.

If there is a cheaper alternative, I'd love to hear about it. Not thrilled to spend $450 to be able to talk to a passenger a foot away, or listen to music i could with $20 ear buds.

I use SENA products, because my local riding group does.

At the moment we are using 50S units.

On Mesh intercom the 50S is only good for 3-4 hours, before it needs to be recharged. 

If I use it only for GPS directions and music, all day performance no problem.

Voice commands is something no one has been able to get to work. I even made SENA replace the unit, no difference.

Two guys are having problems with the 50S units to charge to 100%.

I think you be better of with Cardo units, as some Cardo users at FART got 11 hours use, using the Mesh system.

• Thanks 1
West_Coaster

I have a general intercom question. I want to be connected to my passenger and another bike that also has a passenger. I want to be able to have my music playing and just occasionally talk and have the other 3 people hear me, as well as have them be able to do the same without touching any buttons. Is that a normal feature? Will they hear my music, or can they hear their own? 

And if Google Maps has directions, I want to be able to hear that without any button presses. Will the rest of the group hear the map updates?

Normally, do you touch the intercom buttons while riding, or are they mostly setup and volume adjustments done prior to the ride?

I've tried reading through some of the manual and they are not very clear. I think this is the old buy it and try it to figure out how things work.

Lastly, anyone heard of or used the Lexin B4FM? Less than half the price of the Cardo Packtalk and seems to have favorable reviews. I know it won't have the same feature set like voice commanded next song etc, but if you just want a basic intercom, maybe it'll do the job. Easy enough to buy on Amazon and try out.

Seems a lot of the intercom reviews talk about range, volume and how big the buttons are, but not about how to use all the little features. They seem based on experienced users which I get, but it's difficult having no intercom experience.

Maybe take a look at the Cardo Freecom 4+. Doesn't sound like you need mesh capable units and it's a little easier on the wallet. The Cardo 4+ is voice command capable and has the upgrade JBL speakers. Revzilla has a pretty good video on the Freecom series.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, West_Coaster said:

have a general intercom question. I want to be connected to my passenger and another bike that also has a passenger. I want to be able to have my music playing and just occasionally talk and have the other 3 people hear me, as well as have them be able to do the same without touching any buttons. Is that a normal feature? Will they hear my music, or can they hear their own? 

And if Google Maps has directions, I want to be able to hear that without any button presses. Will the rest of the group hear the map updates?

Look at it this way ... music and gps directions are provided by a "paired device"  meaning you pair to _your_ phone to receive the data.  Your wife pairs to _her_ phone and etc.  Same with others.  The pairings are exclusive so the music etc provided is exclusive.

No button presses as the unit automatically switches between modes ... muting music (if playing) and inserting the GPS direction and auto switch back to music .  Same with intercom .

Cardo also has a private chat feature that means that yes, you can talk exclusively / privately to your wife ( or any other member of the group) via the cardo phone app and then switch back to the group mode very easily. 

Yes , means you need to have your phone mounted / available ... but it is what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GY87Ur3MP4

usually youtube videos auto play , but for this you'll need to cut/paste the URL

I normally only use the unit buttons for turn on/ off and volume.

• Thanks 1

This thread is going to cost me money. Sighhhhhhh

The Cardo Slim would fix the problem with my Sena catching on the Helite vest all the time......

15 hours ago, chrisolson said:

Look at it this way ... music and gps directions are provided by a "paired device"  meaning you pair to _your_ phone to receive the data.  Your wife pairs to _her_ phone and etc.  Same with others.  The pairings are exclusive so the music etc provided is exclusive.

Doesn't the Sena share music?  I thought you could pipe what you were listening to through the intercom.

West_Coaster
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Doesn't the Sena share music?  I thought you could pipe what you were listening to through the intercom.

In my group, that would be the kiss of death. One loves techno, one likes pop, one likes 60's, and I like hard rock. Life is too short to listen to crappy music.

I might buy the Lexin B4FM and give it a try for 30 days. Mostly to see what I like and don't like, and maybe I can get away with a cheaper setup. I do think I might miss the speed sensitive volume that the better brands have.

5 hours ago, West_Coaster said:

In my group, that would be the kiss of death. One loves techno, one likes pop, one likes 60's, and I like hard rock. Life is too short to listen to crappy music.

Haha, you WOULD NOT like everything on my iphone, it's all you named and more and you never know what's coming up next.

• Like 1
West_Coaster
18 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Haha, you WOULD NOT like everything on my iphone, it's all you named and more and you never know what's coming up next.

Lol, your probably right, but I have been trying to make an effort to listen to new stuff and try to appreciate it rather than just say "Metal or death!" Now where is the devil horns emoji?

24 minutes ago, West_Coaster said:

"Metal or death!"

Me in the 80's,.....then I opened my ears to new and wonderful things......with no embarrassment of listening to "Tragedy" by the BeeGees,......did I just type that?

17 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

How about Thriller! album, by Michael Jackson?  :dance:

Ya, but you could kinda get away with liking that because of Eddie Van Halen was on the album

West_Coaster

Don't know the song Tragedy, but I wouldn't turn off Staying alive, should be dancing, night fever or more than a woman...… Should I get tested for Disco fever?  :16:

Under the influence I may of also done the YMCA moves.....and I'm awesome at doing the moonwalk out of a tense situation. 

To me, even EVH couldn't save Beat it. But I'd love to start telling some Michael Jackson jokes..... at the beach....hey, get outta my sun!