IGNORED

Right side not heated grip

Dave P

96 1100RT, haven't put her away for the season yet, but after I do I'd like to figure out a fix for my right side heated grip. Well the left side has a heated grip, just not the right. Suggestions on where to start once the bodywork (gas tank also) is off? Dave

14 minutes ago, Dave P said:

96 1100RT, haven't put her away for the season yet, but after I do I'd like to figure out a fix for my right side heated grip. Well the left side has a heated grip, just not the right. Suggestions on where to start once the bodywork (gas tank also) is off? Dave

Evening Dave

Probably the place to start is to see if you have R/H heat on either low or high. If you have neither then probably unplug the R/H grip heater at the connector, then put an ohmmeter on the R/H side grip heater pig tail to see if it has continuity. 

If you have low or high but not both then look for a broken 12v wire (high) or broken resistor wire (low), or a broken ground wire on the R/H side.

Being the twist grip side they usually break the feed wire between the fixed bar & the movable grip but I have also seen the actual grip resistor wire have an open. 

Not much to those grip heaters  so you are probably chasing an open in the wiring TO the heater or the grip heater itself has an open. 

DR- when I rode it yesterday it seemed like I got heat on the left side when I pushed the switch at the top, nothing when I pushed it at the bottom. Nothing on the right side on either setting.

I'll get in there in a few weeks and will report back. Dave

DaveP, 

I have a 2001 R1100RT. It didn't have heated grips when manufactured but the wiring harness, I discovered, had all the right connectors. I was able to purchase the BMW heated grips and switch on eBay. After a lot of digging by me and others on this site, I was able to find all the connectors and understand how the grips worked. The thread associated with that investigation and solution is here. You might find it useful. Feel free to ask questions if I can help.

Best

Miguel

2 hours ago, Dave P said:

DR- Is this crude schematic how the wiring is set up? Dave

Afternoon Dave

Close, operational idea is correct but the actual resistor is a resistor wire in the low side circuit. Grounds are shown correct (stick form) but on the motorcycle the grip grounds from the grip heaters actually return back though the  in-harness connector. 

GRIPschematic.thumb.jpg.d8c030c7fa4736992fbee53f6ea7aa62.jpg

DR- I think you're being polite saying "close"!

This is very helpful for my understanding of the whole arrangement. I'm visual and wiring diagrams are often times confusing. I like to sketch it out. I'll print this out and hold onto it as a reference for when I go in. Dave

18 minutes ago, Dave P said:

DR- I think you're being polite saying "close"!

This is very helpful for my understanding of the whole arrangement. I'm visual and wiring diagrams are often times confusing. I like to sketch it out. I'll print this out and hold onto it as a reference for when I go in. Dave

Afternoon Dave

Check it again as I made it a bit more accurate.

4 minutes ago, The Fabricator said:

where is this resistor located 2000 r1150gs?

Afternoon Fabricator

I don't have a wire diagram for a 2000 1150GS but it s-h-o-u-l-d be the same as the later 1150GS & that is in the orange wire coming out of the switch. 

2 hours ago, Dave P said:

I'll print this out and hold onto it as a reference for when I go in. Dave

Afternoon Dave

As long as you want to print it for reference I made you a neater more precise schematic with somewhat  close wire colors.

6NOxpTR.jpg

• Like 1

@Dave P it is been a while since I have been by that place and I vaguely recall that it look closed at that time.  A quick web search yields nothing positive to report.  I probably failed to notice because I never smelled the BBQ smoke.   Dang, there was a BBQ joint that close to me and I never got around to eating there.  

Spiced Right was our favorite southern barbeque in Atlanta.

My previous ride- 86 R80 was purchased new (not by me) at Wagonner Cycle in Lilburn. We lived in Decatur at the time. Now outside of Syracuse.

First Neil Peart, now Eddie VH!  Not liking this trend. D

• Like 1