IGNORED

Brembo brakes non brembo pads

Blake8098

Bought a bike with brembo brake calipers. Can I use non brembo pads with this? Never heard of brembo brakes before I bought the bike so I’m clueless. I understand that it may be less effective and all that if I don’t do exactly what is recommended but will it work with other pads?

No

You don't need to use Brembo brake pads. What you need to do is search for your Bike's model suitable brake pads.

Example: In my case I have a 2014 BMW 1200RT-LC bike. So I search for brake pads that suit: 2014 BMW 1200RT-LC

5 hours ago, Blake8098 said:

Bought a bike with brembo brake calipers. Can I use non brembo pads with this? Never heard of brembo brakes before I bought the bike so I’m clueless. I understand that it may be less effective and all that if I don’t do exactly what is recommended but will it work with other pads?

Morning Blake8098

The short answer is that you can use non Brembo brake pads, the long answer is that you still need to use the correct brake pads for your motorcycle & brake caliper design. 

You didn't tell us what BMW (model & year) motorcycle that your are working with, some of the older BMW's use plastic pistons in the rear caliper & those shouldn't be used with metallic brake pads due to excessive heat transfer into the caliper pistons.

4 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Blake8098

The short answer is that you can use non Brembo brake pads, the long answer is that you still need to use the correct brake pads for your motorcycle & brake caliper design. 

You didn't tell us what BMW (model & year) motorcycle that your are working with, some of the older BMW's use plastic pistons in the rear caliper & those shouldn't be used with metallic brake pads due to excessive heat transfer into the caliper pistons.

It’s a 1998 r1100rt

5 minutes ago, Blake8098 said:

It’s a 1998 r1100rt

Morning Blake8098

OK, that BMW motorcycle came with metallic rear brake pads so you can use about any aftermarket brake pads you want as long as they are listed as fitting your year, make, & model. 

Don't get hung up on that Brembo thing as Brembo is a major motorcycle brake supplier with their brake systems used on some mighty nice up-level motorcycles.