IGNORED

2020 KTM 390 Adventure Review

MotoNews

Published in: Bikes

2020 KTM 390 Adventure Review intro

Big Bike Impact in a Small(er) Bike’s Frame

Have you ever swung a leg over a motorcycle, fired it up, and with a twist of the throttle were immediately inspired by where it might take you? Whether it’s carving single-track in search of bunkers in the Pacific Northwest; a road trip from California to Key West opting for tent camping over room service and Egyptian cotton; or a multi-month sabbatical the slow way through South America. . . wherever your inner explorer craves, the fresh-faced KTM 390 Adventure seems to be a skeleton key to unlock these doors and more.

KTM’s 390 Adventure has all the best characteristics of a traditional “ADV” vehicle and with that all the necessary sex appeal. It’s not your average entry-level ride, if it could even be classified as “entry” at all. Approachable, affordable, giving us a bit of everything without sacrificing an ounce of quality… KTM’s latest is making quite an entrance.

KTM390ADV Review FB

I’m 5'2" with a 27-inch inseam, and weigh a mere 116 lb. To say my high-performance, on-/off-road options are limited is an understatement. What I can wrap my mitts around usually comes equipped, thanks in part to the American mindset, with an ego-cutting title of “Beginner,” “Baby” or “Girlfriend.” What’s big to me usually won’t be big enough for an ordinary man or many women. For too long there’s been a void in the small-displacement adventure sector, and the manufacturers who have answered the humble demand seemed to have come up a tad “short.” When OEMs build products just to fill a space in the market, they often seem to be an afterthought: piecing together leftover parts, slathering them in colorful decals, and presenting them as innovation. That is, until quite recently.

The first promising piece of machinery was Kawasaki’s mean green Versys-X 300, powered by the same engine used in their tried and true Ninja 300. It was well-balanced and functional at pounding pavement as well as disappearing down some types of dusty roads. And it boasts a very reasonable price point at $5,500 without ABS or $5,800 with. But many complained about the soft suspension, minimal ground clearance, and callus-inducing seat. Plus, it “felt like a toy.” Back to the drawing board. Other brands have been (re)releasing bantam bikes of their own, like BMW’s G310GS, Honda’s CRF 250 Rally and CB500X—among others—none of which checks every box. All the while, KTM had been brewing their long-awaited 390 Adventure at an anxiety-inducing pace. But it seems patience paid off because this tangerine dream is breaking down barriers.

KTM390ADV Review 1

KTM’s little beast comes equipped with:

• WP APEX suspension, front and rear, with hand-adjustable 43mm upside-down forks
  • Fuel injection
  • Trellis frame/subframe and KTM’s signature die-cast, open-lattice swingarm
  • Mechanically operated PASC anti-hopping clutch
  • BYBRE (by Brembo) brakes featuring a four-piston radial fixed caliper in the front and single-piston floating caliper in the back
  • Rider Aids Package: A two-channel BOSCH cornering ABS system which deactivates the rear wheel in off-road setting, together with MTC (Motorcycle Traction Control), which can be manually turned off in dirt mode
  • Convertible windshield
  • Ergonomic seat
  • Engine guards and skid plate
  • Tapered aluminum handlebars
  • Die cast aluminum wheels in a 19-/17-inch pairing and Continental TKC 70 Trail tires
  • LED headlight
  • Full-color 5-inch TFT display with the KTM MY RIDE system (Bluetooth connectivity to control incoming calls, audio player and GPS)
  • A 3.8-gallon fuel tank

All for the extremely reasonable MSRP of $6,199. Throw in some extra coin and you can ride into the sunset with some additional farkles, such as an AKRAPOVIČ exhaust, luggage, color-coordinated handguards, and headlight guard.

My first taste of the KTM 390 Adventure was across the sun-dried soil and some California alpines. My initial impression was that it’s extremely stable—balanced much like, or possibly better than, the Versys-X 300. And although I’d been a tad intimidated by the 33.7-inch seat height, it was surprisingly maneuverable. In rough terrain, silt and sand, at high or low speeds, I felt composed to the point of empowerment. Shifting my weight accordingly, I could three-point turn in a pile of dust, facing uphill or even downhill, like a champion.

KTM390ADV Review 2

As I discovered, the 40ish horsepower proved plenty. The delivery felt smooth, giving on the low end when I attacked sharper inclines and reserved enough to prevent “whiskey throttle” overcoming precarious obstacles. Wicking it up, I was encouraged to push past redline before clicking—with or without the clutch—into the next gear. And in those “oh shit!” moments, KTM’s Rider Aids package helped to avoid crises. Maybe that’s why I rode faster with it than I ever had on dirt. Or maybe it’s because of the reported 43 hp and 27.3 lb.-ft. of torque. Note the comparisons:

• Honda CB500X: 49 hp; 31.72 lb.-ft. torque
  • BMW G310GS: 33.5 hp; 20.7 lb.-ft. torque
  • Kawasaki Versys-X 300: 40 hp; 19.2 lb.-ft. torque
  • Honda CLR 250 Rally: 23 hp; 16.2 lb.-ft. torque

It’s also worth mentioning that my skills on- versus off-road are about a 60/40 split, leaning more heavily to the asphalt. Thanks to CV19, California was surreal—wandering through a once bustling metropolitan region that had fallen into a police state as it attempts to recover from a devastating microbiological invasion. Roadways weren’t technically empty, but the usual burden of LA traffic came as an occasional inconvenience rather than its normal constant state of chaos. So as soon as we came upon the steep, windy thoroughfares between Angeles and San Bernardino National Forests, the rigorous trial began.

KTM390ADV Review 3

Later, when the sun slid below the peaks, we finally exited the dirt, descending rapidly while snaking our way down to the Interstate. We bobbed in and out of the narrow lanes to bypass slower cars and cumbersome service trucks as the flow of traffic rounded long, smooth sweepers. It felt like a dance: graceful, rhythmic, responsive, with a variety of tempos to keep things exciting. Wanting to go, my speed would rise swift and steady sounding somewhat like a soprano sax ascending a scale. And when the music suddenly stopped, so did the KTM. Perhaps the entire 43 horses aren’t necessary for everyone in the dirt, me included, but once rubber hits tarmac, each digit counts. I’m a proponent of using velocity in general to add excitement and efficiency to my journeys, but more importantly to help circumvent sticky situations. And, cruising comfortably at 70+ mph, the 390 Adventure had every ounce of oomph needed to blow up my skirt and avoid distracted drivers, blind spots, unsuspecting semi-trucks, merging grannies… whatever swerved into my path.

A bit of the same can be said about KTM’s Rider Aids Package. Its features may not be necessary, but when they come to the rescue, no one’s complaining. Even the best riders will encounter unpredictable hazards, and if all the ABS or MTC functions do is help de-escalate a potentially critical incident into a non-issue, then that’s enough.

KTM390ADV Review 4

After 10-plus hours the seat offered constant comfort. And the windshield gave the necessary protection to prevent fatigue or neck strain from heavy air flow or random gusts to the helmet. Even standing on the pegs, I never felt the pressures of a swift pace.

But it can’t be all good, can it? There are a few shortcomings, as with any product debut, but the KTM’s list is brief and insignificant. There are post-purchase upgrades one might chose to really grind off-road, such as bar risers, a beefier skid plate and handguards, as well as wider foot pegs. A drawback when you’re on a trail is keeping the ABS and traction control in the OFF position (which only disables function in the rear). Every time you kill the power, the traction control and ABS reset, requiring their being disabled again, which can be annoying. A couple other things to note, on the Interstate the single-cylinder engine buzzes a bit around the 60 to 65 mph but settles into a hum about 10 mph faster. That said, in sixth gear, approaching the RPM’s red line, a governor signals the FTF display to flash obnoxiously. This didn’t bother me, but I tend to keep my eyes ahead or on the mirrors out of habit.

This is an international bike. It’s not made to just comply with American landscapes or ideals. What the 390 Adventure offers is versatility, approachability, and accessibility. What we in North America or Europe may consider to be a budget bike is a luxury in most other countries. Remove its 373cc motor from the equation and, on paper, this is a first-rate adventure motorcycle that could be put up against just about any bike available in ADV territory. The 390 runs with the big boys and isn’t about to get left in the dust. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles we’ve come to expect from the ADV, sport or even touring categories, but it has plenty. Enough to keep you safe without becoming confident to the point of complacent. Even Justin at 5'10", 175 lb. and 31-inch inseam, felt it didn’t just keep up, it excelled. Some riders may want more suspension travel, but by and large, most won’t find it wanting. Whatever the application, this KTM guarantees a good time. It still has some room to grow, but it’s come out of the gate with such an impact. And with more seat time, more miles, more rocks and ruts and gritty topography under its tires, we’ll know just how this bike holds up.

KTM390ADV Review 5

2020 KTM 390 Adventure Specifications

Price: $6,199
Engine: 373cc, DOHC, liquid-cooled single
Bore X Stroke: 89.0 x 60.0mm
Compression Ratio: 12.6:1
Clutch: PASC mechanically operated slipper
Fuel Delivery: Bosch EFI, 46mm throttle body
Transmission / Final Drive:    6 speed/chain
Power Output: 44 hp @ 9,000 rpm
Max. Torque:  37 Nm @7,000 rpm
Frame: Steel trellis
Front Suspension: 

WP Apex USD fork, adjustableWP Apex USD fork,

adjustablefor compression and rebounddamping; 6.7-in. travel

Rear Suspension: 

WP Apex monoshock, adjustableWP Apex monoshock,

adjustablefor spring preload and rebounddamping; 7.0-in. travel

Front Brake:  BYBRE radial-mount 4-piston caliper, 320mm disc with ABS
Rear Brake:  BYBRE 2-piston floating caliper, 230mm disc with ABS
Wheels, Front / Rear:  Cast; 2.5 x 19 in. / 3.5 x 17 in.
Tire, Front / Rear:  Continental TKC 70; 100/90-19 /130/80-17
Rake / Trail: 26.5° / N/A
Wheelbase:  56.3 in.
Seat Height:  33.7 in.
Fuel Capacity:  3.8 gal.
Dry Weight: approx. 158 kg (348 lb.)
Warranty:  1 Year
Available:  April 2020

JWHVahSpNGQ

View the full article