IGNORED

Lowering driver foot pegs with: Illium, Suburban Machinery, or Wunderlich - which to choose?

robofavo

Ok, dialing in my comfort settings for my 12 month old R1250RT - I'm 6'+ with a 35" inseam, so been feeling al little crampe, plus not much room between my boot, the foot peg and shift lever. 

There appear to be 3 choices for lowering the footpegs:

Illium floor boards (they call them sport-boards), Suburban Machinery peg lowering hardware and Wunderlich which has a similar product to Suburban Machinery. 
I bumped into a long-distance rider at my local BMW dealership this last weekend, he was from NY on a cross-country trip with his wife (on her own BMW) he really liked his Illium sport boards.

Any added comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.    

I have the Sport Boards on my '17 RT and really like them.  I also have Ilium's adjustable brake pedal and their front/rear bars.  Good products.  HTH

Dennis

• Like 1

Thanks Dennis,

I think they look great... 

Q: Was adding the adjustable brake pedal necessary to install when you added the sport boards? Thanks. 

I went with the Knight Design lowering pegs. Much nicer fit.....

http://www.knightdesignllc.com/Products/Motorcycle/BMW/R1200RT/BMW-R1200RT-1-Front-Foot-Pegs.html

There is a way to shorten the pushrod on the rear master cylinder to allow the brake pedal to be at very near the same relative position it was with the factory pegs. No bracket or new brake arm needed....

• Like 2

Ive never ridden with the boards....I think they would be less than ideal.  I have the Suburban ones.  I guess it helped a little, but its not a miracle.  I think it gives like 1 1/2 inches more.  I already had them so put them on when new  What helped and hurt was a new seat.  The new seat added some height which noticeably helped the reach on the pegs to give more comfort, but changed my reach to the ground which causes a bit of tip toeing vs flat foot.  For the comfort versus the BMW 2x4 the seat upgrade is a must for me on all BMW's I've ever owned.

• Like 2

I don't recall if the adjustable was necessary, but I do like it.  I'm thinking that I need to adjust it a tad to the rear and down a bit to get to it better.

I also have the ilium bar backs/ups and like them as well; I did not need the special tool, just used a heat gun and some persuasion.

• Like 1

I went with the Suburban Peg Lower kit. I like the way you can set the lowering to your comfort level.

Easy, adjustable to suit... etc.

• Like 1

I have used both the floor boards and the suburban peg lowering kit. I started with the Floor boards. They were comfortable but I struggled getting my feet on the ground because of their width. They fold up to almost get out of the way but I just found it uncomfortable. When I added a RDL seat which tends to be a bit wider I really struggled getting my feet down. I have a 29 in. inseam. The ground clearance was also compromised.

I switched to the Suburban and that was an improvement.  I eventually lowered the bike using Ted Porter's system. With the lower suspension I was hitting the pegs around corners quite frequently and ultimately switched back to stock and I'm happy.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LittleBriar said:

With the lower suspension I was hitting the pegs around corners quite frequently and ultimately switched back to stock and I'm happy.

That is one reason I went with the Knight Design lowered pegs. They have similar height to touch as the stock pegs. More clearance than the Suburban design. Of course the lowered suspension is part of what you are experiencing. 

• Like 1