IGNORED

Introductions

Cmyers41

Hey all, new guy here...

I've recently purchased a 1999 R1100RT from an Army friend who needed to purge his personal inventory of bikes. I've never owned a BMW, I've been riding Honda's since I was 5 but the price was right, $900! Nothing wrong with it, just some cosmetic issues. It does have a little over 100k miles. Which concerned me a bit, but for $900 I couldn't turn it down. My buddy gave me a huge stack of maintenance paperwork and all seems in order.

I know nothing about these bikes, I've yet to ride it because I'm waiting for him to bring it to me. My question is, where or what is the best resources for this bike.  I'm no stranger to wrenching, I'm currently getting my 1980 CB750F up and running. 

Thanks!

@Cmyers41 welcome to the club.  Feel free to post a photo or two when your bike arrives.

Be sure to check out the oilheads forum for questions you have yet to ask about your bike.   Just be sure to start your own thread with any questions pertaining to your bike.  Read the postings, and if you have an issue please inquire separately (hijack the thread is the term)  Less muddiness for addressing the issues on your bike, if any.  Just saying

Cheers,

Welcome.  You would serve yourself well by including your general or specific location in your profile. Sometimes folks who happen to be located nearby will be willing to look over your shoulder or provide other hands on assistance.

14 minutes ago, Michaelr11 said:

Welcome.  You would serve yourself well by including your general or specific location in your profile. Sometimes folks who happen to be located nearby will be willing to look over your shoulder or provide other hands on assistance.

Done and done. Thanks!

Welcome and Congratulations.

That bike is good, solid, not burdened by the newer electronics, etc. Good find.

A bit high on the miles but if the maintenance was done properly, etc. the miles are not a huge concern on this era of bikes.

The forum for your bike will be a handy resource.

As they Enjoy the Ride but Dress for the Slide... be safe.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I finally got the bike on Tuesday. Fired right up...seems a bit cold-blooded but way better than my 40 year old CB. Cleaned the plugs and put fresh high octane gas in and she seems to be running even better. Checked the air filter and it was nasty. That'll be next, along with an oil change for winterizing. I've put about 50 miles on it so far.

Here she is...don't mind my kids, they were nearly as excited as me.

20201005_160630.jpg

20201005_150255.jpg

20201005_131846.jpg

• Like 2

Myer- Ive got a similar pic in 2013 when my son was 12 and my daughter was 9 sitting on my RT. Also similar is the fact that ive got a project CB750F also. SOHC, a1978 model. Locked engine but we're gonna open her up this winter. Fingers crossed that I can get her running. Dave

A91974ED-9FFB-4820-8F80-32236A8BEE59.jpeg