IGNORED

Anyone had issue with cord wind up on side case?

jbh

Today when I opened my side case the cord came off that keeps the lid from falling down too low.  The metal crimp came off where it attaches to the lid and the cord  wound back up into the device.   Took the device off the side case and was going to figure a way to reattach the cord.  But the wound up metal spring came flying out.  I left it out and just tied up the cord for now on the case and make sure it’s pushed in the case when I close it.  

anyone had issues?   Replaced under warranty for anyone?   It’s a 2019 R1250RT But I posted here because it’s probably same as 1200.  

Well that is warranty work so Tuesday call and schedule it in.  I never had a issue and never heard of any but I just paid no attention to any posts about it.  I would say a fluke/bad part and no worries on it just dont let it drop and spring the hinges.

Let us know how you make out.

I had one of mine break  The cord just broke, I suppose at a spot where it wears.

So I just got two new ones, as I thought the other one might also break.

Which it did a few months later.

dc

I took the cover off the spring mechanism, because I am an idiot, and I can confirm that the spring will jump out and unravel and turn into a rat’s nest.:dopeslap:

However, I was able to rewind the spring back into the plastic cover, and very carefully place it back into the case.  It worked, but had not enough initial tension so that it would not wind back into the recess all the way.  So, being an idiot, I removed it again, and added another turn of spring tension, and found that it works as good as ever.  It can be done.  

Cap

10 hours ago, Cap said:

I took the cover off the spring mechanism, because I am an idiot, and I can confirm that the spring will jump out and unravel and turn into a rat’s nest.:dopeslap:

However, I was able to rewind the spring back into the plastic cover, and very carefully place it back into the case.  It worked, but had not enough initial tension so that it would not wind back into the recess all the way.  So, being an idiot, I removed it again, and added another turn of spring tension, and found that it works as good as ever.  It can be done.  

Cap

Count me as another idiot who took the cover off, was able to wind it back up and return to its function. I'd like to watch how they put it together at the factory, guarantee it wasn't how I did it.

1 hour ago, migrant said:

Count me as another idiot who took the cover off, was able to wind it back up and return to its function. I'd like to watch how they put it together at the factory, guarantee it wasn't how I did it.

Make that two. I too took the cover off. The cord normally has a stopper to prevent the cover from going too far. Mine broke and I opened it to try and fix it. As you have found, the spring came flying out. I was able to rewind the spring and got it right after two tries. It pays to check what direction the cord should be winding. LOL

I believe they were $40 each.  I didn't try to open them.  The new ones come with a plastic clip over them.  And you have to be very careful installing them. 

My cord broke.  I could have fooled around trying to put some new cord or string in there, but ... why ...

dc

See what they do for you under warranty.  They might say no, it's a wear item.  That you have been opening and closing your bags too much.  Maybe in the BMW scheme of things that is cheap, so they may give you new ones free.

• 1 year later...

Apologies from bringing up an old topic. 

I recently purchased a 2018 R1200RTW and both side cases had a broken retractable cord.  I attempted to fix the spring and thought I had it working on one but I must have wound it the incorrect direction.

So, I'm looking for the replacement parts because I'm losing my patience in my attempts to fix.  However, I cannot find the part number on the actual part in any BMW database or diagram.  Does anyone have the BMW part number that I can order online?

Here is a photo of the retractable cord part in my side cases.

cIr3yuEjjtLdXTwkGqMicRVkym6gz3ADo4Z_sA-PJ92y9BJVOVc03brqPtkMOyUExvQdMGezsCglpKNLpWRQ8DqbM-W0yQDKhHsl4H5JVKiX2VkmUZI2-SVGmUyjeH90RabZsczkEXb5RNevbCySFo4u6QIp2FmN3eMAC8k8darZLstnWcNCSZdDaIwtObpbwYDS0FICZLbzOuNTzv_CqEVlhxbk0p5VejktU-55Xx_XgroEFHXgapII1Mu6VvhW_074ce2sbhbSQtOB7tJS-zEIpGb1dFem4cQgdMHZP33PH9QZQTuHZ4JLkVYJEUYqwk1w7R0qf4DVR3tNre4wv3frL8ECKJ04xhgHSx1L6DHJPCx2txa5B7s-ziWoxYSeKvsbac_P40bgjlUCTTKeMbH3yNOp4f_OLkOsTopUeardn-X8WioKrjozyEpPen20b1DSsXlo7SVIO83GYAS82zqpiAWsRyVWRgr6Hm73PTlG1BbOf6w57LMqb7WXtPrUQfF20O_vUFepiDRjpcYC5rAP71HvSlNdwcsNTOQzL3mc16DtjkeRBYIMvYoLFkRqiRZKpooBC_blp4Wx2TtzF_a7qZuh1pqsfJks5b_gR73GAlV06sr-8Wjv2d5OkC43OcZ9gI7eGpWbSSyLvBMSX7EwNIYVmkBgir2XR_O-7JqpPCkOSEW4JCZZIqxxBLYxeQUPh3tw3lvg_s2mUpob-_Fn8Fz_P2JXQw6CfC6oU5xoEP674RQQCzuogFzpcA=w669-h1189-no?authuser=0

On 7/27/2022 at 10:34 AM, 92Merc said:

It's hard to tell from the picture.  But I think it's part number 2.  Can someone else confirm?  Go to section 46-Frame, Fairing, Cases.  Diagram 46_1341 Case, Lower Part.

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=56210&rnd=09082020

02  46 54 8 529 461  COVER HOLDER, LEFT 0.14  1   $60.07ADD TO CART
02  46 54 8 529 462  COVER HOLDER, RIGHT 0.14  1   $60.07

Yup, those are them.  I can't say 100% with the number , but that's what I bought for a used case I had on my '07 K1200GT and then transferred to my '16 R1200RT.
Tried to do the manual fix and gave up.  Bought a replacement - complete with removable plastic shield to protect the spring from flying out.