IGNORED

Things I learned about changing a fuel filter

Rottweiler

Rottweiler

With a little over 24K miles on the RT and all the other maintenance done (by me), the last thing to do was change the fuel filter. Since I knew this was going to be a PITA job (but well within my technical abilities), I decided I would relocate the filter to under the right throttle body as described in several web links on this board. Having read many excellent write-ups on how to do this, I bought all the necessary parts and set out to do the job on Saturday afternoon. As I had suspected it WAS a PITA job, and certainly not something I would like to do every 2 years, but everything went smoothly and I completed the job in about 3 hours. Everything looked and fit great and I knew that the next filter change would take about 10 minutes the next time I had the covers off. thumbsup.gif It was a beautiful day and I had about an hour to test drive the bike before I had to be home to get ready to go out to dinner with friends. I put on my gear (ATGATT) and off I went for a local ride around my town. Everything was great and I was enjoying the sunshine and cool 70 degree breezes, and then it happened just 3 miles from my home. The bike just gently lost power and I rolled to a stop in a local school parking lot. WTF! eek.gif Knowing that I have had no problems in the last 24K miles except a flat tire (see this thread LINK ), I knew it was something I did. Did the new Purolator fuel filter fail, or maybe by removing the tank I stirred up sediment from the bottom that clogged the new filter. Maybe the fuel pump failed from being handled or maybe the fuel pump connector came loose. I checked the fuel pump fuse and relay, they were OK. Now what, the clock was ticking, I had to be home soon, what to do. If I had a few hours I would have taken the side cover off and inspected further, but I was out of time. Lucky for me I took the advice of many on this board and signed up for KOA towing insurance just 2 days earlier! I called KOA, and they called a local tower with a flatbed that arrived in about 30 minutes. Just a side note, can someone point me to the link on how to tie down the RT for towing, although the bike got home safely I could tell it wasn’t tied down very well. Dinner plans were only delayed by 15 minutes, I was happy, and more importantly the wife was happy. wink.gif

Now fast forward to Sunday afternoon, I have a few hours to look at the RT and I have already gone out and bought a new different style Purolator filter. I removed the right side cover and inspected my work, and it looks just as nice as I had remembered. Upon closer inspection I spot the problem, DOH dopeslap.gif, one of the quick connects came loose. I pushed the quick connect back together and the bike fired right up! So who out there can tell me the secret of how to more easily connect those very tight quick connects. They would be easy if you could get your entire hand around each side of the connector, but as you know you’d be lucky to be able to get just 2 fingers on each side with all the things that are in the way. I am aware of the push button lock and I thought that they were locked, but I guess I was wrong. What kind of lube is best to put on the connector o-ring to make it slide in easier?

My 35 mile commute to work this morning was uneventful so I’m confident that all is well. Now that all the maintenance is done I can concentrate on enjoying the ride. See you out there. wave.gif

Paul Mihalka

Quick disconnects: While you push them together, keep the tab you pushed in when you took them apart pushed in again. When that tab clicks out you have a safe connection. Pushing the tab in also prevents damage to the O rings.

as noted above keep the tab pushed in. I also take a little WD40 and spray it on my finger and then wipe the O ring each time.

DavidEBSmith

Vaseline on the disconnect o-ring.

Tieing down the bike, look on my website tonight after I get home and reboot the server. eek.gif

Edit: look here for now.

Bob Palin

I got rid of them altogether, now that I only have to take the tank off every 2 years to do the fluids I can live with having to pull the whole fuel line out each time, good to inspect it anyway.

Archived