IGNORED

1998 r1100 question

Blake8098

What is the difference between the models of 1998 R1100rt models? Everything I could find on the web said it was basically just a “Tupperware” thing. Is there a mechanical advantage of one over the other? Reason I’m asking is I just bought the RT with some plastic missing. Is there a way to pull the plastic and still have a reasonable “lower model”? Would it be worth it? Yada yada... I spent 2k on the bike and that was very close to the last money I had and I’d like to put what I have left into mechanical stuff. I’m missing the front left mirror, which means the front left turn signal as well, and the right mirror is wobbly. Also, missing some other plastics. Not sure how to go about getting it back to looking like a “full” bike again in the cheapest way possible, and definitely don’t wanna pay someone else to work on it... thanks in advance for any info.

To convert it to say an R1100R model you would spend more money than just scrounging Ebay, craigslist, and the forums for what you need. Lots of us have leftover "extras" in our garage/storage because we used to have early RTs. Suggestion: make a list of what you need and post it in the for sale/wanted section. I'm sure you'll get some response.

Now I gotta go look 'cause I may have the mirrors........I know I have NOS windshields and a bunch of other 1100 stuff.

If you don't know what you're missing, post a picture or 3 of the area....... we'll figure it out:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

To convert it to say an R1100R model you would spend more money than just scrounging Ebay, craigslist, and the forums for what you need. Lots of us have leftover "extras" in our garage/storage because we used to have early RTs. Suggestion: make a list of what you need and post it in the for sale/wanted section. I'm sure you'll get some response.

Now I gotta go look 'cause I may have the mirrors........I know I have NOS windshields and a bunch of other 1100 stuff.

If you don't know what you're missing, post a picture or 3 of the area....... we'll figure it out:thumbsup:

Thanks a bunch! I didn’t even know there was a sale section! I’ll post there soon. Definitely need to browse around and see what else I haven’t seen here yet.

Blake- From a 96 R1100RT I have a center upper fairing and a right side panel, also have a scratched up right side mirror outside part (no bracket and mirror glass) and the turn signal. Id sell them all cheap. They are just collecting dust above my garage. Those big pieces are expensive to ship, where are you located? I'm near Syracuse NY  Dave 315 447 3688

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2020 at 8:04 PM, Dave P said:

Blake- From a 96 R1100RT I have a center upper fairing and a right side panel, also have a scratched up right side mirror outside part (no bracket and mirror glass) and the turn signal. Id sell them all cheap. They are just collecting dust above my garage. Those big pieces are expensive to ship, where are you located? I'm near Syracuse NY  Dave 315 447 3688

Hey Dave. Just saw this. I bought mirrors already. But the center fairing and right side Piece and turn signal have my interest. It’s 1140 my time. So I won’t call right now. I’m in Tulsa, Oklahoma 

• 2 weeks later...

Blake- my guess is that those pieces will be too expensive to ship to Tulsa. I think I checked out shipping the side panel about 5 years ago and it was in the neighborhood of $150! Probably $200 these days. I was thinking if you were anywhere nearby maybe we could work something out. Do you ever drive to upstate NY? Like maybe you're an OTR trucker or rock star or something. Let's keep talking, those panels aren't doing me any good, maybe we can figure something out. Dave 315 447 3688, Marcellus NY.

I've been to Tulsa, I thought it was a very nice town. First job out of school was in Wichita, some friends and I went to an art show at the art museum in Tulsa. D