IGNORED

What to do with a Mileage Medallion?

Janky59

A mileage medallion from my K bike days has been hanging around various desks, shelves and drawers for nearly two decades. Time for it to see the light of day.

I took a few measurements and knocked out a CAD file, found a piece of scrap aluminum from work and a side water jet job later had the backing plate profile cut.

Two #6-32 flat head screws hold the medallion to the backing plate, and two 5mm socket head screws fit thru the circular openings of the fender bump thing and thread into the backing plate.

It was a little tight to reassemble the fender extension as the nut access is blocked somewhat, but a small pair of needle nose pliers held the nut in position, enough to get the screw started, then tightened.

Some flat black paint to help things blend in and bling complete.

9B64F19A-31F7-4096-AEFB-4DE59B7BAECE.jpeg

BF3F065F-4A1D-4FF5-841B-BFD7DE6596A9.jpeg

0CCA608C-C72A-4EDE-9A4F-495A3A527DF3.jpeg

• Like 7

It's still something!  Since the average motorcycle rider puts on around 2,500 miles in a year, it would take them 40 years to get there.  I see plenty of 10 year old motorcycles that have well less than 5,000 miles on the odometer, so that might take until infinity for that bike to see 100K miles.  Honestly none of my bikes have reached 100K miles because for most of my riding life I've owned several bikes simultaneously with each getting plenty of riding.  I have to guess at it as a number of my bikes had no odometer but my lifetime mileage is about 250-300K miles, so for me 100,000 K miles is still a big chunk of butt time in the saddle.  Assuming an average speed of 35 mph  that is just under 3,000 hours to go 100K miles

5 hours ago, AndyS said:

It's strange. Many moons ago, that 100,000 miles seemed a lot, but for me, since the advent of the Oilhead era, 100,000 miles is nothing. 

For me it is mileage without requiring an engine refresh/rebuild.  Many moons ago most bikes were all used up in 30-40K and until Honda showed up with the Goldwing, only BMW and Moto Guzzi had bikes that would go +100K miles without needing a refresh/rebuild along the way.

1 hour ago, AndyS said:

Really?

It certainly is for some of us! I think maybe I get what you’re saying, if you’re saying 100,000 miles on a “modern” bike is a much less arduous and maintenance intensive feat. ...but it’s a still a lot of time. If other things weren’t a factor, I’d probably ride 100,000 miles maybe every three years (in 2017 I rode about 35k), but most years I don’t get to do that. This year, since I canceled all my spring and summer trips, I’ve ridden maybe -maybe- five thousand total. Back when I worked a sort of real job full time I spent 30k+ miles a year in a car for work, which didn’t leave me a whole

lot of bike time - I was lucky to get in one good trip each year, a handful of day rides and a little commuting. Sometimes 3k or less a year. 

So, for me, I think it’s still something!

• 1 month later...

Good Morning,

It's an accumulation of miles AndyS on different year RT's and RS's. Now that I'm recently retired, I have the time to crunch out some serious miles but not the knees or bladder. And I would have to convince my wife to move south or west which is not likely

I'm waiting for the 300,000 medallion. Rougarou received only a certificate. Does anyone know if BMW stopped medallion's?

MB 

14 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

I'm waiting for the 300,000 medallion. Rougarou received only a certificate. Does anyone know if BMW stopped medallion's?

MB 

I got my cert last yearish for 100k.

8 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

Good Morning,

It's an accumulation of miles AndyS on different year RT's and RS's. Now that I'm recently retired, I have the time to crunch out some serious miles but not the knees or bladder. And I would have to convince my wife to move south or west which is not likely

MB 

I got medallions with my 300,000 award about two years ago.

• 6 months later...
MichiganBob

The 300,000 mile came and here is how I mounted it. It's in a place where I can look at it and relive 50 years of BMW riding memories.

Take care,

MichganBob 

1249986903_20210516_160846(1).thumb.jpg.c3953e09d08ba4ae00a54ee2855085fa.jpg

• Like 1
MichiganBob

Good luck on that Rougarou. I submitted the application in October and got the certificate and medallion in April. The certificate was misspelled and who knows when a new one will be sent. Blame it on Covid? Who knows? As my wife says every morning when she looks at me, "it is what it is."

16 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

Good luck on that Rougarou. I submitted the application in October and got the certificate and medallion in April. The certificate was misspelled and who knows when a new one will be sent. Blame it on Covid? Who knows? As my wife says every morning when she looks at me, "it is what it is."

This was in 2018.  I even sent a reminder that I got the 'cert but not the medal.  The goal was 100k on the RT, which was surpassed by about 12k.  

Oh well, no biggie, I'll try for the 200k fairly soon with a combination of the previous HP4 mileage (13k), RT (currently 140k) and the GSA (Currently 19k).  

Sailorlite

The right side speaker grill seems like a good spot for the medallion.  This one's been there for about 14K miles, stuck on with the adhesive backing it came with.  (Also, note the $20 Casio cleverly velcroed to the left of the speedo). 

IMG_1715.jpeg

• Like 1
Sailorlite

My current RT is the fourth or fifth bike to sport that Casio.  I find it far quicker and easier to get a sense of time from that analog watch than from any digital display on the bike or Nav.  It's always on, always readable, it's accurate and not too expensive.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

In regards to the question does BMW still give medallions for 100K.  Yes they do! This past June 8th my dealer submitted the paper work for my 900K. It took 8 weeks but he received my certificate,large medallion and the small medallion. My last 2 small medallions came painted.  I see that now the small one is not painted.  A cost saving measure I assume. I'm not complaining because I am happy to get these and I have a pinstriper paint them anyways. I mount  them on the back of the left saddle bag.

When I received my 100K award many years ago I never dreamed I might possibly reach 1 million BMW miles. Now it is within reach and I plan to reach it by September 28,2023. 100 years to the day BMW showed it's first bike to the public at the Berlin motorcycle show.

By the way , my 2015 RT has 219 ,000 miles on it and still runs good

• Like 1
On 9/15/2020 at 8:11 PM, Janky59 said:

A mileage medallion from my K bike days has been hanging around various desks, shelves and drawers for nearly two decades. Time for it to see the light of day.

I took a few measurements and knocked out a CAD file, found a piece of scrap aluminum from work and a side water jet job later had the backing plate profile cut.

Two #6-32 flat head screws hold the medallion to the backing plate, and two 5mm socket head screws fit thru the circular openings of the fender bump thing and thread into the backing plate.

It was a little tight to reassemble the fender extension as the nut access is blocked somewhat, but a small pair of needle nose pliers held the nut in position, enough to get the screw started, then tightened.

Some flat black paint to help things blend in and bling complete.

9B64F19A-31F7-4096-AEFB-4DE59B7BAECE.jpeg

BF3F065F-4A1D-4FF5-841B-BFD7DE6596A9.jpeg

0CCA608C-C72A-4EDE-9A4F-495A3A527DF3.jpeg

Awesome!  Now, you or Machine Joe can make these for us "prospects" to mount a roundel on, and you guys can mount your "mile-dallions!"

Wow! First 1,000,000 I've seen. I have an idea what it took to get that. We don't do these things for applause, and ultimately meaningful satisfaction comes from within, but every once in a while, a little validation and a tip of the hat is a good thing. Bravo KDeline!!

MichiganBob

On 9/8/2021 at 11:26 PM, MichiganBob said:

Wow! First 1,000,000 I've seen. I have an idea what it took to get that. We don't do these things for applause, and ultimately meaningful satisfaction comes from within, but every once in a while, a little validation and a tip of the hat is a good thing. Bravo KDeline!!

MichiganBob

If my math is correct it comes out to 76 miles a day for the years on BMW. I have no life......

• Like 1
4 hours ago, KDeline said:

If my math is correct it comes out to 76 miles a day for the years on BMW. I have no life......

I'm trying to match you, but a job and winters are a bitch!. Well, mostly winters.

7 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I'm trying to match you, but a job and winters are a bitch!. Well, mostly winters.

Rode to work all winter except on snowy days. Got caught a few times when the predictions did not turn out as stated.

I ride in winter, but the roads here make it tough most of the time, a lot of snow, then a lot of salt and slush, then just icey spots, so I have to pick and choose days to ride. Dead winter it rarely gets over 10°F for months, so it's a commitment. The worst part of salt is that it makes the roads wet, which isn't all bad, but the salt spray gets everywhere, and it is hard to see after about a minute of riding behind a car. I've gone thru a whole container of window wash in one day when driving. It also destroys the bike. You should see my rusty truck for proof of that. 

Plus, I drive a service van for work, tough to get all my tools and parts on the bike!

I need to retire and move somewhere warm.

On 9/8/2021 at 8:03 PM, rounder jim said:

In regards to the question does BMW still give medallions for 100K.  Yes they do! This past June 8th my dealer submitted the paper work for my 900K. It took 8 weeks but he received my certificate,large medallion and the small medallion. My last 2 small medallions came painted.  I see that now the small one is not painted.  A cost saving measure I assume. I'm not complaining because I am happy to get these and I have a pinstriper paint them anyways. I mount  them on the back of the left saddle bag.

When I received my 100K award many years ago I never dreamed I might possibly reach 1 million BMW miles. Now it is within reach and I plan to reach it by September 28,2023. 100 years to the day BMW showed it's first bike to the public at the Berlin motorcycle show.

By the way , my 2015 RT has 219 ,000 miles on it and still runs good

I got my 400k award this past May. There were no medallions with it.

12 hours ago, KDeline said:

That's almost exactly the average for my BMW years. However, I got a later start. Guess I don't have a life either.😁

9 hours ago, KDeline said:

Rode to work all winter except on snowy days. Got caught a few times when the predictions did not turn out as stated.

Yep, down twice due to unexpected ice call from the meteorliargists.

Just wondering KDeline. How many motorcycles did you use to chalk up the 1 million miles? 

If you were to venture a guess, how many rear tires?

MB