Sign in to follow this  
Janky59

What to do with a Mileage Medallion?

Janky59

A mileage medallion from my K bike days has been hanging around various desks, shelves and drawers for nearly two decades. Time for it to see the light of day.

I took a few measurements and knocked out a CAD file, found a piece of scrap aluminum from work and a side water jet job later had the backing plate profile cut.

Two #6-32 flat head screws hold the medallion to the backing plate, and two 5mm socket head screws fit thru the circular openings of the fender bump thing and thread into the backing plate.

It was a little tight to reassemble the fender extension as the nut access is blocked somewhat, but a small pair of needle nose pliers held the nut in position, enough to get the screw started, then tightened.

Some flat black paint to help things blend in and bling complete.

9B64F19A-31F7-4096-AEFB-4DE59B7BAECE.jpeg

BF3F065F-4A1D-4FF5-841B-BFD7DE6596A9.jpeg

0CCA608C-C72A-4EDE-9A4F-495A3A527DF3.jpeg

• Like 3

Red

Thanks, 

Just last week I came across my medallion wondering what the heck to do with it.  I like this idea.  

AndyS

It's strange. Many moons ago, that 100,000 miles seemed a lot, but for me, since the advent of the Oilhead era, 100,000 miles is nothing. 

Hosstage

100,000 miles is still something!

• Like 1

AndyS

Really?

Paul De

It's still something!  Since the average motorcycle rider puts on around 2,500 miles in a year, it would take them 40 years to get there.  I see plenty of 10 year old motorcycles that have well less than 5,000 miles on the odometer, so that might take until infinity for that bike to see 100K miles.  Honestly none of my bikes have reached 100K miles because for most of my riding life I've owned several bikes simultaneously with each getting plenty of riding.  I have to guess at it as a number of my bikes had no odometer but my lifetime mileage is about 250-300K miles, so for me 100,000 K miles is still a big chunk of butt time in the saddle.  Assuming an average speed of 35 mph  that is just under 3,000 hours to go 100K miles

5 hours ago, AndyS said:

It's strange. Many moons ago, that 100,000 miles seemed a lot, but for me, since the advent of the Oilhead era, 100,000 miles is nothing. 

For me it is mileage without requiring an engine refresh/rebuild.  Many moons ago most bikes were all used up in 30-40K and until Honda showed up with the Goldwing, only BMW and Moto Guzzi had bikes that would go +100K miles without needing a refresh/rebuild along the way.

Hosstage
1 hour ago, AndyS said:

Really?

Maybe not on this forum, but yes, 100,000 is still something.

szurszewski
1 hour ago, AndyS said:

Really?

It certainly is for some of us! I think maybe I get what you’re saying, if you’re saying 100,000 miles on a “modern” bike is a much less arduous and maintenance intensive feat. ...but it’s a still a lot of time. If other things weren’t a factor, I’d probably ride 100,000 miles maybe every three years (in 2017 I rode about 35k), but most years I don’t get to do that. This year, since I canceled all my spring and summer trips, I’ve ridden maybe -maybe- five thousand total. Back when I worked a sort of real job full time I spent 30k+ miles a year in a car for work, which didn’t leave me a whole

lot of bike time - I was lucky to get in one good trip each year, a handful of day rides and a little commuting. Sometimes 3k or less a year. 

So, for me, I think it’s still something!

szurszewski
28 minutes ago, strataj said:

100,000 sMiles is something to say congratulations to!  Harley start at 1,000 miles and go all the way up to 300,000 :grin:https://www.harley-davidson.com/ap/en/owners/hog/mileage-recognition.html Nice job displaying your reward.

I’m surprised they don’t give a special recognition for the 1250000 mile mark ;)

D91DC470-34D5-45C0-A69B-4C822D7BCD37.thumb.jpeg.b75a5e3197ff09b6af19292bd773d2ed.jpeg

LAF
21 hours ago, AndyS said:

Really?

Yes, really.

AndyS

It must be a 'mind set' thing. To me, the miles just keep on rolling!

• Like 1