IGNORED

Cherohala Skyway closed May 6th???

motorman587

motorman587

Was anybody up there this weekend and knows why??? Just wondering. Wife and I tried from Telico Plains, but were flagged away by LEO. Stopped a couple miles on 68 and some local stated it was because of the bear incident, which I found hard to believe. Anyway just wondering. Saw alot of beemers (mostly GSs) and mini coopers this weekend.

Paul Mihalka

This weekend was the Georgia Mountain Rally in Hiawassee, organized by the Georgia BMW Club, so, many Beemers. I don't know about the Cherohala.

John - HERE is a link to the story. Apparently there was a bear attack off of the skyway in which a 6 year old was killed.

Holy cow!!!!! I was up there on Thursday.

I saw a giant pile of bear scat at one of the turnouts, made me think that they were definitely active up there.

I am so sad for that family...... frown.gif

Will Knight

The bear attack happen around April 13 and occured a good ways southwest of Cherohala Skyway.

Will

"The US Forest Service has closed the area until baiting smells that could attract other bears are gone and until a forensic analysis on a previously trapped and euthanized bear is complete. Final results from the bear are not expected before next week."

I was at he Georgia Mountain Rally and rode the Cherohala Skyway from Robbinsville to Tellico Plains on Saturday around noon. The road was blocked by a flatbed truck carrying a log cabin Eastbound. It happened right before I got there. The cabin slid off the truck into the guard rail. The guard rail kept it from going into the river. This was just outside of Tellico Plains at a very narrow place in the road. There was about four feet of road on the mountain side of the cabin with a sloping shoulder to the left, into a ditch. They only let motorcycles go through Westbound into Tellico Plains. I was the fourth through and didn't see any more motorcycles behind me, just cars. You had to duck under the steel beams supporting the cabin as you rode the narrow strip of roadway. I was glad to get through without incident. Looked like they stopped all traffic heading East.

ohn - HERE is a link to the story. Apparently there was a bear attack off of the skyway in which a 6 year old was killed.

Chris,

That story is from April 14.

Frank Cloud
"The US Forest Service has closed the area until baiting smells that could attract other bears are gone and until a forensic analysis on a previously trapped and euthanized bear is complete. Final results from the bear are not expected before next week."

Holy mackeral. I ran into a bear last year trout fishing in North Georgia. A bear cub actually, never saw the mother (nor did I want to). It was a very uneasy feeling. eek.gif

Matts_12GS

Word from the Dragon on Monday was that someone had gone down hard up there over the weekend...

The group i was riding with ate at the Beistro in Telico Plaines. On the way out we ran into a very old looking log cabin that had slid off of a truck and onto the guardrail and had the entire road blocked. It was sad to see an old structure damaged like that . We took a gravel road just out side of Telico to hy 68. Anybody know how long it took to reopen the road? Geno

Archived