IGNORED

Got me a '97 Viffer

greiffster

My first bike was a first gen. '86 VFR700 and I've always wanted another.  This one here is the 4th generation '97 model and she showed up on craigslist after a long slumber in a barn about 6 miles from my house.  $2500 and I couldn't pass it up. 14K miles, ran great, but had some plastic damage on the right side where it was down.

It took a few weeks to get all the maintenance caught up to date, new tires, fix the plastic, and evict the mouse living in the headlight bucket. 

What a hoot this thing is.  The last of VFRs with the gear driven cams and before all the linked brakes, ABS, and VTEC nonsense.  LOL.  Let's be honest, chain driven cam VFRs, aren't really VFRs.

Maybe the coolest sounding motorcycle on the planet.  Stupid fun.

IMG_4841.thumb.jpg.c3a77afacddf4fca96ddd4ba7a180422.jpg

• Like 4

Of course Honda built the best sounding bike of all time. Also the most impressive race bike of all time.

Once the clutch is finally applied, this sound sends chills up my spine. I wish I could find the recording of the sound of Mike Hailwood on one of these at Isle of Man.....

I found something close. This is Mike Hailwood on the Honda 6. Starting at 9 seconds.....

Beautiful machine.  Congrats on your find.  One note on your description above.  Honda actually carried over the gear driven cams into the 800 model, and didn't move to the Vtec until 2002.  Good history synopsis below.  I had a red 1999 VFR that was a blast to ride.  Despite the criticism of the cam setup and its weight, it was a rocket ship when the engine hit 6,000 rpms and those cams kicked in.  Had a lot of fun with it for many years.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/bikes/history-honda-vfr/

• Like 1

Great machine - love the sound of the gear-driven cams.  FYI, the only real weak point on those is the reg/rec, which lives a hard life right between the cylinders.  Might be worth it to get a spare to carry around in case the one in there decides to go toes-up.

Otherwise, enjoy!

4 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Beautiful machine.  Congrats on your find.  One note on your description above.  Honda actually carried over the gear driven cams into the 800 model, and didn't move to the Vtec until 2002.  Good history synopsis below.  I had a red 1999 VFR that was a blast to ride.  Despite the criticism of the cam setup and its weight, it was a rocket ship when the engine hit 6,000 rpms and those cams kicked in.  Had a lot of fun with it for many years.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/bikes/history-honda-vfr/

True. The 5th gen kept the gear driven cams into the 800. Supposedly the most sought after. I prefer the look of the 750s

19 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

This needs a VFR to call home...

20200910_144127.jpg

20200910_144218.jpg

What are asking?  The stock lights are a little dim. 

Dennis Andress
1 hour ago, greiffster said:

What are asking?  The stock lights are a little dim. 

They've been hanging around long enough to be considered an institution. Cost of shipping is all I ask.

• Like 2

back when I was in the Air Force my buddy swapped his 700 Nighthawk for a 84 or 85? White 700F that was just gorgeous, by then I was riding a FZ700 but I did kick myself for missing on his bike. Another buddy had a 600 ninja, basically military dorm life

• Like 1