IGNORED

Show TPMS Temperature on Instrument Cluster with MotoScan

TestPilot

While looking at the various options available on the MotoScan app for BMW, I found I could add TPMS temperature to the on-board computer displays on my 2007 R1200ST.  Since BMW has programmed the pressure display to read what the pressures would be at 20 degrees C (68 degrees F), I figure knowing the temperature would give me a better indication of how the tires are doing on long or aggressive rides.  I don't have any information as yet on what temperatures I should see, but that will come with time.

The temperatures are displayed on the instrument cluster and are viewed by cycling through the on-board computer displays with the INFO button on the left switch cluster.  I'll post a picture later today.

Here is the picture I promised.  The ignition is on but the bike is not running, so only dashes are displayed since the sensors have not started transmitting.  The label to the right of the dashes is RDC T while the label for tire pressure is RDC P.

R1200ST Tire Temperature Display.jpg

Today I took a 50 mile ride to check out the tire temperature display.  Ambient temperature was 72 F and the tire temperatures at the beginning of the ride were 73 F front and rear.  At speeds of 55 - 60 mph on straight roads the temperatures steadied out at 95 F front / 99 F rear.  At slower speeds in traffic the steady temperatures were 99 F front / 102 F rear, probably due to less cooling due to lower air flow.

One interesting point was that the temperatures did not rise a degree at a time.  Instead they jumped 3 or 4 degrees with each change; i.e., 73, 77, 81, 84, 88, 91, 95, 99, and 102.  I did a little back of the envelope figuring and came up with the following answer.  Since the bike is manufactured in Germany, the temperatures are reported in degrees Celsius and converted to degrees Fahrenheit (much like average fuel economy numbers are reported in l/100 Km and converted to mpg).  It also appears that only odd degrees C temperatures are reported and subsequently converted.  That explains the 3 and 4 degree jumps and the values I saw.