IGNORED

northwest Michigan, M-22

Redman

From Traverse City to home the fairly direct route is about 150 miles.

But up that way is M-22, one of the most interesting roads in the state, in that it that goes along Traverse Bay, and then along Lake Michigan, and upand down wooded duneland, and inbetween and around lots of inland lakes, and at various places are small tourist towns, for a total of 120 miles. (And ends in Manistee about 90 miles from home.)
DNMOC0W.jpg
See it there, from Traverse City along the bay to Northport at, then back down all along Lake Michigan (to Manistee).

So, for my ride home from Traverse City Wednesday, that is what I did. Except the part from TC to Suttons Bay is right along the bay, but is urban/suburban/comercail and lots of traffic (and I have done that before a few times and is close to where I used to live), and are lots of nice county roads inland, so I headed inland. Took the road to Cedar. Up and down hills, with views at the top, and curves along the way thru orchards. Should have got some whpics.

Going thru Cedar, I did what I often do, if have time, look on gps for some geopgraphy that might be intersting, a river or something, and turn off the main road and go thru town to go a couple block on a side street. Might find something interesting like the old mill/dam, or the old train station. Well, this time I found RB's Vintage Kawaski Shop. He was just pulling out with a couple bikes on a trailer, and the door was closing but could see more bikes in there, and off he went. 
Looped back into town on main street, was getting warmer, so stopped to change out some gear, lighter shirt and gloves.
ccIIe7T.jpg
I wondered what this building had been in its history.

Continued wandering north and west till got to M22 south of Leeland.
pbsLm9a.jpg

Continued into Leeland. Leeland is interesting in that has boat docks in the river near the big lake, and can walk right out there on boardwalks over the river. THis is where the fishing boats go out from, and are shops right there. SOme are tourist souvinr shops and others are fish shops smoking and cooking fish for sale. I walked around for a little bit, but wanted to get back on the road.

Decided to head south. Is mostly thru wooded dune, with some views of Lake Michigan. Good interesting ride.

Into Glen Arbor. Where have to stop at the M-22 store, since this helmet and bike have now earned the distinction of needing M-22 stickers.
C2ZZRVg.jpg

Had been hungry for some time, but my favorite place, Art's Tavern, had a line up and 45minute wait, and so did the other two places. So ended up at the grocery store, which had fairly good deli sandwiches, and chairs and tables outside in the shade. 

Back on the road. Went inbetween and around several inland lakes, and some views of lake michingan.

Maybe this is Crystal Lake, dont recall.
wXWadtf.jpg

HcLZKL8.jpg

More good riding.

This little roadside pull off
Gs2Xc0F.jpg

And this larger roadside pulloff
uaZRZEn.jpg
Is also a walkway along edge of bluff, and an elevated viewing tower, with lake views from north to south.

I know it is Lake Michigan, know is about 250 miles by 90 miles, but Might as well be an ocean. Standing there on bluff, maybe 200 feet up, and still the lake is as far as can see to the right, and to the left and in front of you.

Hum,,, seems that I didnt get many pics of the road this time.

At the end of M-22 in Manistee, I decided to head home on the direct-high-speed route: US31 (interstate design mostly). Are other interesting roads, but had been there before.

Got home about 7pm. So about 8 1/2 hours for 225 miles.
So, yah, for me, with as much stopping as I did,  225 miles is a day ride.

Edited by Redman
spulling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...