IGNORED

Protecting My Spare Face Shield

HappyMan

I recently went to switch out my face shield at dusk only to find it had been poorly protected and useless for the ride home. Thank God for my Cee Baileys! 40 degrees with an open face shield and the stock wind shield would have sucked!

Anyway, back to my faceshield, I thought I'd just find something on line through a search and someone would have a carry case but no such luck in finding one.

Anyone know of one? It looks like my best option is to throw it in my helmet bag. Cheap way to go too since I already own it but since I've been searching and not finding I thought I post it to see if there is something I've missed.

Ah Ha!! I knew there was something out there. I'm glad I asked. For the life of me I couldn't get anything through a Google search for just about any combination of "face shield protector"....

Thanks! This beats what I'm doing with the helmet bag.

David beat me to the punch. I was just about to post the same thing. blush.gif

John, try Altavista in future. thumbsup.gif

Cheers

David beat me to the punch. I was just about to post the same thing. blush.gif

John, try Altavista in future. thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Good call. AltaVista found it right away. Thanks for the tip. thumbsup.gif

Firefight911

I have used these covers for quite some time. They are truly wonderful. Just remember to ONLY put a clean shield in there. I swap out from a clear to a tint shield depending on conditions so I make sure to thoroughly de-bug/de-grime it before it goes in there.

Just a little tip to help keep your shields scratch free. thumbsup.gif

David and Mark, thanks for the plug. The MotoEquip Face Shield Protectors that Cycle Gadgets sells are our products, along with our precision cut 3M Reflective kits for helmets and for BMW saddlebags.

Cycle Gadgets is one of our top dealers. Give them a call. Sean and Laurene are great people and we're proud to have them carry our products.

Paul Mihalka

I also use Fernando's faceshield protector. It is excellent. It will hold any shield from a regular full-face helmet, and the shield from the Nolan flip-up. Before I used it, and still do it now for the shield of my Arai SZ open face shield, I wrap the shield in plastic wrap before I store it in a pouch or something. As the plastic sticks to the shield, any movement is between the pouch and the plastic, and the shield does not get scratched.

Effervescent

inner_pockets.jpg

One final note, the newly designed Joe Rocket Ballistics 6.0 jacket has a built-in shield holder around the ribs.

-Eff

Joe Frickin' Friday
I also use Fernando's faceshield protector. It is excellent.

+1. thumbsup.gif

Bart Anderson

Ditto on Fernando's face shield protector. Loved it when I used to use it...now I don't bother changing shields - I just wear sunglasses.

It is important to keep the inside of it clean, though. I used to carry a few of the thin plastic bags that my newspaper comes in to put over the dirty shield before putting in the MotoEquip protector. Worked well.

FYI, one friend uses an old sock. Another uses a sleeve cut from an old sweatshirt. There are pennytech solutions that work almost as well, but aren't nearly as trick. (sorry Fernando!)

Ditto on Fernando's face shield protector. Loved it when I used to use it...now I don't bother changing shields - I just wear sunglasses.

It is important to keep the inside of it clean, though. I used to carry a few of the thin plastic bags that my newspaper comes in to put over the dirty shield before putting in the MotoEquip protector. Worked well.

FYI, one friend uses an old sock. Another uses a sleeve cut from an old sweatshirt. There are pennytech solutions that work almost as well, but aren't nearly as trick. (sorry Fernando!)

No problem, Bart. I also used to use an old athletic sock to store my spare shield, until one day the temple of my sunglasses worked its way through the weave and scratched the shield. And thus a product was born. That's why it's made out of the more-expensive neoprene instead of simple cotton. Woven materials are easily penetrated.

As for keeping the inside clean, I always clean the used shield at a gas station (I carry a microfiber cloth for drying) before putting it away. That way, I've never had a problem with dirt getting on the inside. However, I've been using the same Face Shield Protector (a blue one) for 5 years now and the outside was getting pretty grungy. Not knowing the outcome (I'd never washed one before), I decided to see how well it laundered. It came out like new! I'll probably get another 5 years out of it. Maybe around 2011 I'll switch to a red one. smile.gif

I purchased a blue one yesterday. I too was carrying my old shield in like a sock and that's how it got ruined when something worked it's way through it. Thus the search for something better. You've all been a great help or shall I say you've affirmed my purchase! I don't believe I've encountered such an overwhelming response for one product here before. Thanks to all. thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

I've got about 5 helmet bags laying around. I get a new helmet every two years or so. I stuff a spare shield into one of them and then forget to pack it on nearly every trip I go on. frown.gif

My record with shields is really poor. I have yet to get a week out of one of those Iridium shields for my Shoei helmets. Soon as I put it on the helmet, I'll set the thing on the seat for a moment and knock it off. Invariably, it lands smack on the brand new shield and the slides for a bit. Grrrr. I don't do so good with open face PB&J sammiches either. Yet to have one land jelly side up.

...... I don't do so good with open face PB&J sammiches either. Yet to have one land jelly side up.

Think of the roughage you're getting though. grin.gif

I don't do so good with open face PB&J sammiches either. Yet to have one land jelly side up.

Never gonna happen. It's one of those laws of physics like the Inverse Square Law.....I do however have better luck than you when it comes to my shields. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Archived