IGNORED

2003 K1200rs problem

FickleAce254

I have a k1200rs that is throwing a general warning indicator(the triangle with the exclamation mark). The brake light has lit up and stays on. According to the owner’s manual and a member of a BMW retailer service department one of the brake switches has gone bad or the ABS has gone bad. Me and my dad replaced the hand grip switch but that didn’t fix the problem. We disconnected the foot peg switch to see if that was what it was but that didn’t solve it either. The ABS still works, we can hear it come on for both brake switches. 

8 hours ago, FickleAce254 said:

I have a k1200rs that is throwing a general warning indicator(the triangle with the exclamation mark). The brake light has lit up and stays on. According to the owner’s manual and a member of a BMW retailer service department one of the brake switches has gone bad or the ABS has gone bad. Me and my dad replaced the hand grip switch but that didn’t fix the problem. We disconnected the foot peg switch to see if that was what it was but that didn’t solve it either. The ABS still works, we can hear it come on for both brake switches. 

Morning   FickleAce254

We need you to clarify a few things before we can help you__

EXACTLY what brake light is staying on?-- The one on the rear of motorcycle or the brake warning light on the dash?  

You say the ABS is working, how have you determined that? Have you  ridden that motorcycle on a loose surface road then braked  extremely hard to see if the ABS will come on & prevent a locked wheel?  You say you can hear it, you aren't confusing the servo assist normal braking function with the ABS anti-lock  part are you?

On the brake switches, replacing the front one probably eliminated that, but disconnecting the rear switch is the wrong  direction as that brake switch is normally closed  & goes open when you step on the brake pedal  (so if you disconnect that switch that is the same as stepping on the brake pedal). 

(EXACTLY) What are your dash warning lights doing? 

You say that the  "general warning indicator (the triangle with the exclamation mark)" is on, how about the brake warning light? Is it also on? If ONLY the yellow warning light is on then check that your tail ight is not burnt out.  

I can't remember specifically on the 2003 1200RS but most with that era servo braking system have a fail-safe in the ABS module that monitors the tail light circuit, if it sees a burnt out tail light it will then bring the brake light bulb on at about 1/2 power to replace the tail light then illuminate the dash GENERAL warning light to tell the rider that it has done that. 

So,  if you have a general warning light on the dash but no brake warning light to go with it  then check your taillight bulb (actually remove it & check it, don't just look to see if it is on as the braking module might be simulating the tail light using the brake light). -- This info should be in you riders manual that came with your motorcycle.  

1.) The rear brake light

2.) Thinking about it now it might actually be the servo-assist that I’m hearing as it only comes on when I engage the brakes. I have tested the brakes when going fast and haven’t had any problems with it. As for the ABS- I’m pretty sure that the ABS works because the “Brake Failure” light flashes when I start it up and goes off when I start moving. According to the manual this is normal because the ABS is doing a self diagnosis. 

3.) When I’m sitting at an idle and haven’t put the bike in gear then the only lights that come on are the flashing “Brake Failure” and the Neutral indicator. The red warning light comes on after I shift into first and start to move. During all of this, the “Brake Failure” light does not come back on. If I’m riding done the road the warning light is the only thing lit up. 

4.) The tail-light bulb itself is perfectly fine and looks brand new and we even tested it with a separate power source with no problems. With the bike turned on the tail light comes on and is brighter than it should be. When either brake is engaged there is a very slight change in brightness in the tail light that you wouldn’t notice if you weren’t already looking for it. 

9 hours ago, FickleAce254 said:

1.) The rear brake light

2.) Thinking about it now it might actually be the servo-assist that I’m hearing as it only comes on when I engage the brakes. I have tested the brakes when going fast and haven’t had any problems with it. As for the ABS- I’m pretty sure that the ABS works because the “Brake Failure” light flashes when I start it up and goes off when I start moving. According to the manual this is normal because the ABS is doing a self diagnosis. 

3.) When I’m sitting at an idle and haven’t put the bike in gear then the only lights that come on are the flashing “Brake Failure” and the Neutral indicator. The red warning light comes on after I shift into first and start to move. During all of this, the “Brake Failure” light does not come back on. If I’m riding done the road the warning light is the only thing lit up. 

4.) The tail-light bulb itself is perfectly fine and looks brand new and we even tested it with a separate power source with no problems. With the bike turned on the tail light comes on and is brighter than it should be. When either brake is engaged there is a very slight change in brightness in the tail light that you wouldn’t notice if you weren’t already looking for it. 

Morning   FickleAce254

"With the bike turned on the tail light comes on and is brighter than it should be"

Your problem still sort of points to a rear bulb problem, does your 1200RS have the correct rear brake/taillight bulb in it?  (my parts book shows a dual filament  12V- 21/5W   bulb used). No chance that it has the wrong bulb in it is there?  Or that the 2 filaments inside the bulb  are touching each other. Are BOTH filaments working?  

I guess if it were my motorcycle I would try a new (correct)  rear bulb before doing much else.  (at least to eliminate that before getting into more complicated areas). Don't try to use a US substitute bulb but use the correct wattage bulb for both filaments.  

You might also check the rear tail light wiring to verify that the socket is getting full voltage to the tail light contact & that the socket ground is resistance free. 

If your rear bulb is in fact a duel filament as my parts book shows then you need to positively verify that one filament (5 watt one) is  coming on as the tail light, & that the 21 watt filament  is coming on as the brake light with the 5 watt filament staying lit with the brake light on. 

• 1 month later...