IGNORED

Can't Connect GS-911 Wifi to '14 RT

Mike

I mean, I can't physically connect the darned thing.

I got it last year, registered it, and the software is updated (as though that would make a difference :D). I finally got around to (attempting to) use it, but I simply cannot get the connector to insert into the receptacle plug on my '14 RT.  Red tab on that receptacle is at the bottom. Twist connector on the device is twisted all the way to the left. Arrows are aligned. But, when I try to push the two together, the GS-911 will not go in.

The only thing that seems a little hinky--and maybe it's just because they're built for use on various bikes--is all that the pins in the connector do not correspond to those in the GS-911. What in the name of All Things Holy am I doing wrong?

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I mean, I can't physically connect the darned thing.

I got it last year, registered it, and the software is updated (as though that would make a difference :D). I finally got around to (attempting to) use it, but I simply cannot get the connector to insert into the receptacle plug on my '14 RT.  Red tab on that receptacle is at the bottom. Twist connector on the device is twisted all the way to the left. Arrows are aligned. But, when I try to push the two together, the GS-911 will not go in.

The only thing that seems a little hinky--and maybe it's just because they're built for use on various bikes--is all that the pins in the connector do not correspond to those in the GS-911. What in the name of All Things Holy am I doing wrong?

Evening Mike

The first couple of times they can be a bit tight but usually a little wiggle during, or as, you twist the ring will allow it to seat.

It is possible that one (or more)  of the female terminals was over soldered so the pin is partially full of solder so now can't fully engage.

You might ask your question on the  Hex Code forum (possibly someone there has had to deal with this before), or try E-Mailing Hex Code customer support directly.  

http://forum.hexcode.co.za/forum/

• Like 1

Thanks, DR. I’m waiting to hear back from HexCode and I’ve posted over in their forum, too. No word back. 

This puppy is definitely not seating with the connector. 

22 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Mike, are you using the connector next to the battery?

Uuuuh. To my credit, I figured this out a few minutes ago. I am a dumbass. The HexCode instructions tell you to look under the passenger seat, but...as you clearly know...that’s the wrong connector. I found this thread, where Marc Parnes made the same discovery, albeit six years ago: http://forum.hexcode.co.za/forum/index.php/topic,780.0.html :dopeslap:

It’s hooked up. Now I just need to figure out how to use the interface. It’s now telling me it can’t connect to the cloud. I’m sure somewhere out there, I’ll find a solution to THAT issue. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Mike said:

Uuuuh. To my credit, I figured this out a few minutes ago. I am a dumbass. The HexCode instructions tell you to look under the passenger seat, but...as you clearly know...that’s the wrong connector. I found this thread, where Marc Parnes made the same discovery, albeit six years ago: http://forum.hexcode.co.za/forum/index.php/topic,780.0.html :dopeslap:

It’s hooked up. Now I just need to figure out how to use the interface. It’s now telling me it can’t connect to the cloud. I’m sure somewhere out there, I’ll find a solution to THAT issue. 

Did you connect the USB cable to the GS-911 WiFi and your computer? I never really tried to use the WiFi.

15 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Did you connect the USB cable to the GS-911 WiFi and your computer? I never really tried to use the WiFi.

I'm bumbling through this. I've got a Mac, so I will have to get the RT and my iPhone within range of a WiFi network to use the service functions. Apparently in D2D mode, your mobile device cannot access the cloud.

As I said, "bumbling."

20 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I'm with Bernie, I only use WiFi to check for faults but all service work I find I need to use the USB connection to a computer. 

Yes, wifi is a pain in the a$$

You have to have your Internet Router's wifi reaching you location (as in the garage). You won't need this if you use the USB interface.

I have been asking for a download update instead of needing WiFi.  I was told the best it will ever be is being able to use your phone for the connection.  It appears the unit HAS to talk to the sever to be verified it is a legitimate device.

I have to string a 50' cat 45, and a apple air port towards the garage that is 150' away to get mine updated. 

ezCAN also.  I check and do both at the same time.

I have used both of these items for 15 years on the GS911 and since the ezCAN was beta testing.  It is my only sorta knock on these items but most people have WiFi in their garage so not a big as deal for them.  Still great items with a quirk.

Thanks, all. I’ll get there. Bernie sent me some info that will help. The challenge I face—which I think Bernie’s method will fix—is that my garage (“the Barn”) is 100+ feet from the house. I’ll use my phone as a hotspot and talk to my GS-911 from my laptop’s browser.

• Like 2

It truly takes a village. I have to admit, I was feeling a little down last night after exposing my lack of technical ability to all of you. I mean, really down. There are so many smart and talented people here, and I can barely keep my shoelaces tied. I decided to turn to one of the great philosophers of our age, to help me put it all back into perspective. I hope that you, like I, can learn something from this:  

https://youtu.be/d8fTJEozHCs

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, Mike, if nothing else good comes today I can still count it as a great day. I have had my fill of cookies and ordered a new accordion on Amazon. Very happy now. 

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Most, if not all, of us have been there about something!  While I don’t know exactly how much work is involved as administrator, I appreciate everything you do to keep this site going. 

Cheers!

Paul

• Like 1

Even though I'm a Mac guy, the GS-911 and the BMW service manuals are why I keep a cheap Windows laptop around.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

Even though I'm a Mac guy, the GS-911 and the BMW service manuals are why I keep a cheap Windows laptop around.

Well you could duel boot the MAC but a cheap windows laptop is the easiest.  Besides you dont want your MAC to get any cooties from the Windows machine:4323:

• Like 1
On 8/21/2020 at 6:27 AM, Mike said:

Thanks, all. I’ll get there. Bernie sent me some info that will help. The challenge I face—which I think Bernie’s method will fix—is that my garage (“the Barn”) is 100+ feet from the house. I’ll use my phone as a hotspot and talk to my GS-911 from my laptop’s browser.

Yes that is they way to do it for sure.  My phone does not do hot spot so I string the cat 5 and the apple air port and get it done.  Now the GS911 I just plug into my computer with USB and can update that way.  But the ezCAN needs the WIFI so I do both as a rule stringing line to the garage.