IGNORED

no power to bike

bcoles

Just filled the bike with gas, reset trip meter, turned key off to gather my stuff. Tried to start the bike and nothing happened.  No dash lights, no starter, no fuel pump, no power. Walked home, got my car, took the battery out then drove home. Put battery on charger and it read fully charged. What might the problem be? Why are none of the lights coming on? What did I overlook? I need help. Bryan.

Charged the battery anyways. Drove back to the bike a few hours later. No luck. I put the key in and nothing comes on the dash. No noises, no nothing. Tried to start with kickstand up and in Neutral although the N light did not come on. Any ideas?  Bryan.

7 hours ago, bcoles said:

Charged the battery anyways. Drove back to the bike a few hours later. No luck. I put the key in and nothing comes on the dash. No noises, no nothing. Tried to start with kickstand up and in Neutral although the N light did not come on. Any ideas?  Bryan.

Morning  bcoles 

You didn't bump the kill switch to OFF did you  (make sure that the  emergency stop switch is turned to on). 

Anything at all showing on the dash when you turn the key to on???? 

Nothing like (  EWS  ) showing on the dash is there????????????????

2007 kill switch.JPG

Dirtrider, no the kill switch is in the straight up position. Nothing lights up on the dash. My gut tells me its battery related. I checked this morning on my expense spreadsheet and I bought the PC 680 on April 11 2015. I do keep it on a trickle charger and yesterday I put it on my car charger for 4 hours. Last night when I went back to my bike nothing happened. No dash lights , no starter, no nothing. I do have a kickstand start issue but i always make sure the kickstand is up and it is in neutral with the clutch in. I'm am still puzzled. Bryan

1 hour ago, bcoles said:

Dirtrider, no the kill switch is in the straight up position. Nothing lights up on the dash. My gut tells me its battery related. I checked this morning on my expense spreadsheet and I bought the PC 680 on April 11 2015. I do keep it on a trickle charger and yesterday I put it on my car charger for 4 hours. Last night when I went back to my bike nothing happened. No dash lights , no starter, no nothing. I do have a kickstand start issue but i always make sure the kickstand is up and it is in neutral with the clutch in. I'm am still puzzled. Bryan

Morning  bcoles

OK, your next move is to put a voltmeter on the "installed" battery the see what the voltage is with key turned on (is it over 10 Volts?).  

We need to verify that the battery is good before chasing more complex issues.

Or, try jumping your motorcycle off of you car or truck (do that with car engine NOT running). 

Dirtrider, good news. I borrowed a friend's battery and installed it. The dash lit up and everything worked. Rode the bike home and now in the process of ordering a new battery. My old battery gave me zero warning that it was about to die. It "read" fully charger on my charger and after four hours of charging it still would not even light up the dash. Instant death !  Thank you so much for your help. Having someone to be there with you is very comforting. Bryan.

Wondering: were you charging the PC680 with an AGM specific charger? As the AGM takes a higher charging voltage than lead acid and it seemed strange that nothing would light up on the instrument panel. I am wondering if a connection was bad (dirty or corroded) and changing the battery corrected the situation?

56 minutes ago, bcoles said:

Dirtrider, good news. I borrowed a friend's battery and installed it. The dash lit up and everything worked. Rode the bike home and now in the process of ordering a new battery. My old battery gave me zero warning that it was about to die. It "read" fully charger on my charger and after four hours of charging it still would not even light up the dash. Instant death !  Thank you so much for your help. Having someone to be there with you is very comforting. Bryan.

Afternoon  bcoles

Don't throw that PC 680 out as they can sometimes be recovered using a special  charging rate, then a controlled current run-down, then specific re-charging current at appropriate voltages. 

The PC 680 is a great battery if kept properly charged but if you allow them to run down & get sulfated, then simply try to recharge the PC 680 with a non approved charger, then they WILL  eventually go dead on you. 

If you ordered another PC 680 battery, then make darn sure that you use the correct (PC 680 rated) charger as using a standard trickle charger will allow your new PC 680 to eventually go into the same failure that it is in now. 

Best bet with a PC 680 is to use an approved charger, or don't use anything (just ride the motorcycle occasionally).   

What battery charger are you now using? 

If you are using a standard (low amp/non temperature compensated/lower voltage)  trickle charger now then do not allow it to go into float charge for long.  As SOON as possible after the charger goes into float-charge disconnect it from the battery. 

Dirtrider, I checked the voltage and it read 12.89 while sitting on my work bench. I use a Tender Jr as my trickle charger. I ride the bike at least 4/6 times a week in summer. We have winter here in the South Okanagan of B.C. so the bike is put away from the 1st of November until 1st of April. My battery is left on the Tender the whole winter season. Reguarding the special charging procedure is there specifics on the net? Any brand name PC 680 approved charger that you know of? Thanks.  Bryan.

18 minutes ago, bcoles said:

Dirtrider, I checked the voltage and it read 12.89 while sitting on my work bench. I use a Tender Jr as my trickle charger. I ride the bike at least 4/6 times a week in summer. We have winter here in the South Okanagan of B.C. so the bike is put away from the 1st of November until 1st of April. My battery is left on the Tender the whole winter season. Reguarding the special charging procedure is there specifics on the net? Any brand name PC 680 approved charger that you know of? Thanks.  Bryan.

Afternoon  bcoles

Leaving a PC 680 on a BT Jr  all winter will definitely effect it's health &  starting ability. 

The PC 680 has a very good shelf life so better off just to disconnect it for the winter then maybe just charge it once of twice over the winter.  

Ener Sys (supplier of the Odyssey) has (or did have anyhow a recommended charger list on their web site).

A CTEC MUS 4.3 will work as it has a snowflake setting (14.7 volts/temperature compensated) --that is the lowest output charger I have used & can recommend. Next CTEC up is even better (I believe that is on the list ) but more expensive. 

CTEC is a good charger so find the one that you want then look on Amazon for good price & free shipping.   

I have a couple of older (higher end)  CTEC chargers but the MUS 4.3 will keep the PC 680 properly charged on the snowflake (higher output) setting. 

Thanks Dirtrider, checking out batteries and chargers now. I can not order parts from the USA right now (Covid 19) as I can not cross the border to pick up items I might buy. As you can guess the Canadian prices are  NOT cheap. Over $200 delivered for a PC 680. Oh well ! Bryan.

9 minutes ago, bcoles said:

Thanks Dirtrider, checking out batteries and chargers now. I can not order parts from the USA right now (Covid 19) as I can not cross the border to pick up items I might buy. As you can guess the Canadian prices are  NOT cheap. Over $200 delivered for a PC 680. Oh well ! Bryan.

Afternoon bcoles

Will Amazon deliver to you?  

Dirtrider, the problem with Amazon USA is the border handling/duties charges $$$$$. Amazon Canada is fine but the prices reflect the Canadian market. I have used Amazon USA a lot and had the items delivered to Oroville, Wash. which is about 35 minutes away. Unfortunately with our borders closed I am unable to use that service. I just ordered a new PC 680 from Toronto for $182  CND delivered to my home. The best I could do. The CTEC Mus 4.3 is $143 CND and $88 USD on the two Amazon sites. I will purchase the charger for it this Fall hopefully the borders will be open then.  Stay save and many thanks, Dirtrider. Bryan.