IGNORED

No spark after engine swap

Imgnr

I have no spark after swapping a motor. Bike was running prior to the swap.  I checked the connections and they seem to be connected but perhaps there are some bidding ground wires or connectors that are hidden or commonly forgotten?

What else should I check for?

I don’t think this is related but the engine I got is a dual spark and my bike is a single spark. I put the old coil back on to test it out and it still didn’t spark.  

thank you. 

28 minutes ago, Imgnr said:

I have no spark after swapping a motor. Bike was running prior to the swap.  I checked the connections and they seem to be connected but perhaps there are some bidding ground wires or connectors that are hidden or commonly forgotten?

What else should I check for?

I don’t think this is related but the engine I got is a dual spark and my bike is a single spark. I put the old coil back on to test it out and it still didn’t spark.  

thank you. 

Afternoon  Imgnr

LOTS of places to have an issue. 

Start you troubleshooting  by verifying (with key-ON)  that you have 12v on the green wire at ign coil, and green wire at the fuel injectors  (yes or no on the 12v)

Does your HES pigtail connector match the main harness connector? (there were 2 different styles used on the early 1150 bikes).  

Did you hookup the brown ground wires under the air box? 

There is more but verify the above then we can hopefully have a direction to look in. 

DR - Thank you.

Start you troubleshooting  by verifying (with key-ON)  that you have 12v on the green wire at ign coil, and green wire at the fuel injectors  (yes or no on the 12v) - YES ON IGN COIL.  FOR THE INJECTORS, BOTH WIRES TO BOTH INJECTORS HAVE 12V FOR ABOUT 3 SECONDS AND THEN I HEAR A RELAY CLICKING OFF IN THE FUSE BOX AND THE POWER  GETS CUT.

Does your HES pigtail connector match the main harness connector? (there were 2 different styles used on the early 1150 bikes).  YES

Did you hookup the brown ground wires under the air box? YES

10 hours ago, Imgnr said:

DR - Thank you.

Start you troubleshooting  by verifying (with key-ON)  that you have 12v on the green wire at ign coil, and green wire at the fuel injectors  (yes or no on the 12v) - YES ON IGN COIL.  FOR THE INJECTORS, BOTH WIRES TO BOTH INJECTORS HAVE 12V FOR ABOUT 3 SECONDS AND THEN I HEAR A RELAY CLICKING OFF IN THE FUSE BOX AND THE POWER  GETS CUT.

Does your HES pigtail connector match the main harness connector? (there were 2 different styles used on the early 1150 bikes).  YES

Did you hookup the brown ground wires under the air box? YES

Morning   Imgnr

"FOR THE INJECTORS, BOTH WIRES TO BOTH INJECTORS HAVE 12V FOR ABOUT 3 SECONDS AND THEN I HEAR A RELAY CLICKING OFF IN THE FUSE BOX AND THE POWER  GETS CUT"--- OK, this tells us that the Motronic is getting powered up with the ground (at least on the injector circuit) having continuity.

Next, see if the green/white wires going to the fuel injectors are re-powering back up when you crank the engine using the starter button. 

Does your R have a tachometer? If so see if the tac is doing anything when you crank the engine. 

You might also try removing fuse #5 for a hour or so just in case your Motronic is somehow locked out due to an HES signal error.  

Are the spark plug wires FULLY plugged in at the ignition coil?

Did you use your original HES from the original engine or are you using the HES that came with the new engine?  (if the HES is from the new engine then possibly it was damaged when they removed the engine) 

Houston, we have ignition...but there is still a problem.:4315:

Per DR's advice, I was looking at the HES wiring and noticed that the pulley was not on properly.  Turns out that I did not put the tab on the cup behind the pulley into the slot.  Once that was fixed, I have spark in both cylinders.

For some reason, only the left side is running.  I've got spark and compression on the right but it's not firing up.

- The right injector wires are powering up.  What else should I check for?

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, Imgnr said:

Houston, we have ignition...but there is still a problem.:4315:

Per DR's advice, I was looking at the HES wiring and noticed that the pulley was not on properly.  Turns out that I did not put the tab on the cup behind the pulley into the slot.  Once that was fixed, I have ignition on both cylinders.

For some reason, only the left side is running.  I've got spark and compression on the right but it's not firing up.

- The right injector wires are powering up.  What else should I check for?

Thank you!

Evening Imgnr

Make darn sure that the R/H side throttle cable is FULLY seated in it's adjuster ferrule at the throttle body cable bracket (it is probably now sitting on top of the ferrule not down in it).

DR - both cylinders are now running!  Problem was the right cylinder throttle cable not seating as you suggested but it was at the Bowden box so I couldn’t see it. I noticed the stop on the throttle wasn’t hitting the set screw so double checked again. Thank you!  It’s running on the old coils.  Now need to make it run on the K1200 coils the PO sold me. 

Also, I found a few bushings from disassembly. They’re rather large. Any idea where they go?

EA21113E-00A4-423A-9055-8C3F18C7761B.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Imgnr said:

DR - both cylinders are now running!  Problem was the right cylinder throttle cable not seating as you suggested but it was at the Bowden box so I couldn’t see it. I noticed the stop on the throttle wasn’t hitting the set screw so double checked again. Thank you!  It’s running on the old coils.  Now need to make it run on the K1200 coils the PO sold me. 

Also, I found a few bushings from disassembly. They’re rather large. Any idea where they go?

EA21113E-00A4-423A-9055-8C3F18C7761B.jpeg

Afternoon  Imgnr

Does that motorcycle have aftermarket shocks on it?

Can you give us the ID, OD, & length of that bushing?

Thank you all, esp DR for helping me resurrect another oilhead destined for the junkyard. 

btw, I think those bushings are from the Rockster’s headlights. 

55596342-F4F0-46AE-9FF4-2D019E8CC2FC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Good Evening,

Wow! What a great trial and error journey. All's well that end's well. As I tell folks who get angry when I make a lucky low score in golf, the box the number goes into is not large enough for a footnote, just a number. Way to go DR. Good persistence Imgnr. Patience pays off. So does being able to ask for a little help. 

• Like 1