IGNORED

I’m a little conflicted

MarinPhil

My 2000 R1100RT is doing just fine. No issues, 60k on the clock.  Just put on new tires.  I have a Triumph ThruxtonR for fun also.  I’m feeling i would like a newer RT. Not a new one, but perhaps 2015 or so wet head. I know, first world problem.  Thoughts?

oopes. Yes, 2000. 

23 minutes ago, MarinPhil said:

My 2020 R1100RT is doing just fine. No issues, 60k on the clock.  Just put on new tires.  I have a Triumph ThruxtonR for fun also.  I’m feeling i would like a newer RT. Not a new one, but perhaps 2015 or so wet head. I know, first world problem.  Thoughts?

2020 1100RT ? Might want to edit your post. Any way I went from a 2004RT (107K miles )  to a 2014RT ( 108K miles ) and was very pleased with it. I now have a 2018RT which I bought 6-30-18 and now has 76K miles on it . The Wethead is an excellent upgrade from an 1100RT.Try it you'll like it!!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MarinPhil said:

My 2020 R1100RT is doing just fine. No issues, 60k on the clock.  Just put on new tires.  I have a Triumph ThruxtonR for fun also.  I’m feeling i would like a newer RT. Not a new one, but perhaps 2015 or so wet head. I know, first world problem.  Thoughts?

Evening MarinPhil

Thoughts?

Go ride one then see if it is worth the expense & aggravation of buying one-- Caution: don't ride a 1200lc BMW without having a place to store the new one as my guess is one will surely follow you home.  

• Like 4

There simply is no comparison. The good news is that the LC's have proven themselves to be super reliable. So buying a 2nd hand one is a safe bet and no gotchas to be expected, unless the bike has somehow been abused by the previous owner.

• Like 1

I've owned an RT and GS in both the 1100 and 1150 variety prior to buying a used '18 RT last year.

Performance wise, far better.

Comfort wise, the same...all comes down to your 3 points of contact, which I've modified to fit me. I miss the Ohlins suspension but will live with what I've got till it wears out. 

Maintenance wise...if you do your own work you'll need a device to communicate (GS-911 or substitute) with the bike and a laptop unless you can live with using your iPhone small screen. I was sceptic but the small amount of learning is worth being able to do your own work.

No throttle body synch needed, the toughest job so far is stripping the plastic to get to the air filter. Just takes some time, not that hard as long as you keep track of where the fasteners go. Boxflyer videos and props are great resources.

9 hours ago, Alfred02 said:

There simply is no comparison. The good news is that the LC's have proven themselves to be super reliable. So buying a 2nd hand one is a safe bet and no gotchas to be expected, unless the bike has somehow been abused by the previous owner.

This!

I was in your very situation, and went from a 1999 to a 2015 RT.  I have not regretted it at all as the Wethead addressed all of the wish list improvements.  The only thing I miss from the '99 is the big glove box and the bodacious curves of the tupperware.  I did end up hanging on to my '99RT and have been putting more miles on it this season, but I crave the next time riding the '15 later this month like I never did on the '99.

If you are looking for a 2015, test ride it as some have complained of glitchy shifting.  My 2015 shifts fine and the complaints may be more about expectations as I understand the hex and cam head were nicer shifting than the early Wetheads.  Coming from my '99 oilhead having to practice the Zen of shifting to get sooth shifts the 2015 transmission is a vast improvement.

2 hours ago, Paul De said:

This!

I was in your very situation, and went from a 1999 to a 2015 RT.  I have not regretted it at all as the Wethead addressed all of the wish list improvements.  The only thing I miss from the '99 is the big glove box and the bodacious curves of the tupperware.  I did end up hanging on to my '99RT and have been putting more miles on it this season, but I crave the next time riding the '15 later this month like I never did on the '99.

If you are looking for a 2015, test ride it as some have complained of glitchy shifting.  My 2015 shifts fine and the complaints may be more about expectations as I understand the hex and cam head were nicer shifting than the early Wetheads.  Coming from my '99 oilhead having to practice the Zen of shifting to get sooth shifts the 2015 transmission is a vast improvement.

Yes my 15 RT was a bear to shift.  If you used ALL of your Zen shifting techniques and tried hard it worked fine with a nice snick, if you were lazy you got a bit of a grind and a shift.

The only reason I got a 17.5 GS was the transmission update and it is all that and a bag of chips with salsa too!

I rode other 15 year bikes and they ran the gambit in shifting.  Some smooth as silk others clunky and needing persuasion to get it to slide into every gear.

I am thinking you will love any LC bike no matter as the refinements over 20 years will make a big difference.

Pretty sure I am going to die with my 17.5 GS.  It is all the bike I ever need and all I wanted.  With the farkels and various pieces of gear I have put on has made it mine.  I hope I can run her another 17 years before I fail.

I wish you luck and hope you find your LC bike.  It should favor you as a buyer right now so you should be able to get a late model LC for a very reasonable price.

Three years ago I went from a 1999 RT to a 2017 LC.  The LC is superior in every way except styling (subjective), storage (the big box on the left side of the fairing was really handy), and maintenance (didn't need a GS-911 on the old one).  I plan to ride this one until I can't deal with a relatively high bike any more.

• Like 1

If you want a newer RT then go for it!   Every generation of RT has simply gotten better and better.   I have owned a '97 R1100RT,  a '06 R1200RT and now a '16 R1200RTW.   They just get better and better.  And hey IF NOT NOW ....WHEN?   My 2016 is the best RT I've owned.  The motor is the smoothest,  the gearbox is the best and shifts like butter and it handles better than any of my prior RT's. 

Lots of great low mile used RT's out there! 

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, utahskies said:

I've owned 3 RTs and the move to a wethead was like going from a farm tractor to a bullet train. No contest. Make the move. 

Made me chuckle!  I have often compared the shifting on my 14RT to a 1946 Farmall tractor.  As many suggested, I have gotten used to it, but I still don't like it.  The rest of the package is first rate.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RecentConvert said:

Made me chuckle!  I have often compared the shifting on my 14RT to a 1946 Farmall tractor.  As many suggested, I have gotten used to it, but I still don't like it.  The rest of the package is first rate.

YEP, I feel the exact same.

As they said, every new generation is an improvement.  Maybe not the first year of a generation, they are after all BMWs ;-)...

I had an 04 R1150RT and rode with a friend with an R1100RT, clear improvements, rode an early R1200RT, again clear improvements. Bought an '11 R1200GS, far better motor.  Finally, I'm on a '20 R1250RT. Can't compare it to previous models.

As old_farmer said, they aren't as pretty. I still think the R1150RT was the best styling of the bunch but wouldn't let that stop me from moving to a superior bike..

On 8/7/2020 at 6:12 PM, MarinPhil said:

My 2000 R1100RT is doing just fine. No issues, 60k on the clock.  Just put on new tires.  I have a Triumph ThruxtonR for fun also.  I’m feeling i would like a newer RT. Not a new one, but perhaps 2015 or so wet head. I know, first world problem.  Thoughts?

oopes. Yes, 2000. 

MartinPhil, 

Test ride and be sure before you make the purchase.

I have a very good '17 Wethead... BUT I REALLY miss my 1150 Oilhead. Sometimes I consider going back to one!

7 minutes ago, AndyS said:

MartinPhil, 

I have a very good '17 Wethead... BUT I REALLY miss my 1150 Oilhead. Sometimes I consider going back to one!

“you can never go back” author unknown :grin:

41 minutes ago, AndyS said:

MartinPhil, 

I had a 2002R1150RT Titan Silver to me it was the best looking RT ever!  I had that bike set up the best of any bike ever and miss the ergonomics.  I brought a 14R1200RT when they first came out, my dealer didn't want the 2002, it was in great shape maintain to the highest level  with 75,000 miles.  I kept the bike.  After a year I found myself not riding the bike at all, the only miles on it was during the Stop Ride cause by the rear shock on the 14RT.  So a bike that fit me like a glove wasn't being ridden because the 14RT was so much more fun.   I also have a 05DL650 Suzuki V-Strom, that bike sits and only gets ridden when the guilt of it sitting gets to me.  The Wee Strom is a great bike and if it was my only bike I'd be a happy man but it's not a BMW. 

Traded in my 2002 and 2012 RT's for a 2018RT. It's a great bike in every way. 500 mile days no problem. Plenty of storage options for trips. Handles great -- just did the dragon and it was a lot of fun. Funny as you get older some things become acceptable like handlebar and seat warmers, cruise, by wire, electronic suspension, traction control, hill brake, abs, remote control locks and alarm, keyless ignition, and bluetooth sound system. Sure, I was able to crank out many miles without all this stuff but even a Luddite like me appreciates it. I was coming home from a trip two months ago and all of a sudden my lights flashed a warning and I saw from my TPS that my rear tire pressure was down to 34 and falling fast. I had time to pull off the highway in two miles and get to a gas station with plenty of light and air compressor to plug and fix the tire. That alone was such a treat compared to shoulder repairs on highways.

Of course there are trade-offs with technology. I could fix just about anything on my R75/5. Change points, condenser, coils or fix the Bings. Now I'm pretty much out of control when I am on the road. If the bike suddenly stops, I'm screwed. Just like my car. 

Anyhow, I like my 2018 a lot. It's more that 6 years ahead of my 2012 in improvements.

Best of good health and fortune to you all.

Michiganbob